3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why so many longbows?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why so many longbows?
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
The problem with the argument that 50 years of technology and design development makes a R/D not a longbow is the fact that there is several hundred, maybe thousands of years of advancement from the original longbows to the glass laminate straight limb longbows of today.  Really, a Hill style has much more in common with an R/D than it does with the all wood bows of yore.  Again, I agree that there are some big differences and I'm all for calling a bow what it is; ASL, self bow, R/D, recurve, static tip recurve, TD recurve, TD R/D, etc; but I think it's rediculous that guys get so bent out of shape when somebody calls their pretty new R/D a longbow.  Maybe you guys should stop insulting our Medieval English brethren by calling your fancy glass laminated ASL a longbow.  ;)

Whatever you shoot, shoot straight.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »
Target bows is target bows, huntin' bows is huntin' bows and compounds is leverage machines.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
I'm with Tom44 on this one. If we want to get super technical, and base it off of days gone by then the ELB is the longbow of the group, which is an all wood bow with horn or other material tips, then say starting at the ASL, and selfbows we have now moved into Flatbows. The English still do not consider an ASL a longbow but rather a flatbow.

So I think from here on out they should be flatbow or r/d flatbow!! Someone needs go contact all of our bowyers and let them know they need to update their sites. My JD Berry taipan is now a d/r flatbow And my JD Berry Morningstar is a Flatbow
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2015, 05:24:00 PM »
I like to get on posts like this and start at the last comment and read them backwards to the opening post. It's kinda funny
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »
I like reflex/deflex longbows.  They get the speed and power of a recurve without the need for a stringer and go "THUD" instead of "TWANG" which I prefer.  Also, I like low grips better and the lighter weight of a longbow better.  I don't think longbows are superior tools to recurves, but for my preferences they are better.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »
I got lost fairly quick after I asked the original question. guys talking about types of bows I never heard of! so basically, a simple bear Montana  is not a long bow? a Howard hill is maybe a long bow? or the only longbow is an old English bow from the mid ages?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
The real reason is because they make the hunter look so good
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
To answer the original question, there are a lot of reasons you see a lot of longbows at shoots nowadays.  First, there are the positive traits of most all one piece longbows: light weight, smooth draw, quiet release.  Takedowns with R/D limbs have all these except the light weight (comparatively).  Some guys like selfbows because of the added challenge, nostalgia, or the idea of using one of the purest forms of traditional archery.  Some like Hill style, ASL, straight limb, or whatever you want to call that type of longbow, for a lot of the same reasons, but with a little more durability that comes with modern materials and construction techniques.  Others like the R/D longbows because you get the light weight, smooth draw, and quietness, but keep performance close to what you get with a recurve.  Some like the looks of a three piece and either like or at least don't mind the added weight, but like the smooth draw and quiet release of a longbow and opt for the takedown with R/D limbs.  In short, the reason you are seeing more and more longbows is that there are many different options in the "longbow" market.  Most trad archers can find one that works for them, and for many, the advantages out way the disadvantages (if there are any) when compared to recurves.  For me, I have enjoyed every style of traditional bow I have tried and will likely continue to shoot multiple styles.

:campfire:
Matt Toms

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gray Buffalo:
The real reason is because they make the hunter look so good
And then there's that.    :D
Matt Toms

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tomsm44:
To answer the original question, there are a lot of reasons you see a lot of longbows at shoots nowadays.  First, there are the positive traits of most all one piece longbows: light weight, smooth draw, quiet release.  Takedowns with R/D limbs have all these except the light weight (comparatively).  Some guys like selfbows because of the added challenge, nostalgia, or the idea of using one of the purest forms of traditional archery.  Some like Hill style, ASL, straight limb, or whatever you want to call that type of longbow, for a lot of the same reasons, but with a little more durability that comes with modern materials and construction techniques.  Others like the R/D longbows because you get the light weight, smooth draw, and quietness, but keep performance close to what you get with a recurve.  Some like the looks of a three piece and either like or at least don't mind the added weight, but like the smooth draw and quiet release of a longbow and opt for the takedown with R/D limbs.  In short, the reason you are seeing more and more longbows is that there are many different options in the "longbow" market.  Most trad archers can find one that works for them, and for many, the advantages out way the disadvantages (if there are any) when compared to recurves.  For me, I have enjoyed every style of traditional bow I have tried and will likely continue to shoot multiple styles.

:thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
Just love the feel and sound of my longbow. Started with the recurve but discovered that the longbow just did more for me.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
my curiosity is rising
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2015, 09:20:00 PM »
Simple, quiet, and fast.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
the chicks dig it
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
It's funny as to how something so  simple can end up so confusing!    :thumbsup:  

Steve
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
Like I said, what someone wants to call it doesn't really matter.  Pull off your recurve limbs, bolt those "longbow" limbs and there you go. My girlfriend likes to call her Toyota Sequoia her truck. But my Nissan Titan isn't a Peterbilt.

Stickbow, I shoot a stickbow.
lll

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »
The original post/question - why so many longbows?

Most "longbow" shooters shoot r/d bows which give you the best of both worlds...the lightness of a longbow without the handshock and the performance nearly equal to a recurve.

Reading through these posts, if you take some guys' definition of a longbow - an ASL or English lonbow or something where the limbs don't bend in more than one direction when unstrung -  then there are actually very few longbow shooters.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2015, 09:03:00 PM »
Mean what you say and say what you mean...I've always liked that little quip.  But with longbows everything always means the same thing!!!  So confusing.  

What we need is a good dictionary.  I just happen to have one.  Looking looking....ah yes here it is.

longbow   1. A wooden bow approximately five to six feet long; 2.  A medieval English bow occasionally over six feet long.

Uh-oh, what happened to the 'longbows are whatever you want them to be' stuff?  There's nothing about the role of personal preferences at all.  Heck, they don't even mention reflex/deflex, locator grips or bolt-on limbs.  

Stupid dictionary.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
I'm just going to call mine a hybrid stickbow. It's clearly not a recurve and evidently not a longbow...   :banghead:    :confused:    :laughing:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
I'm with ya Dennis, mine is a bastardized,hybridized, curvy stick with limb bolts and and wedges,and phenolic tips and low stretch string and all kinds of other stuff that disqualifies it from being a real bow.

:biglaugh:    :deadhorse:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©