3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ever calm deer scent  (Read 426 times)

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ever calm deer scent
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
last night after work I did a little prep work to a brush blind just inside the woods (behind my house)
I sprayed some deer dander in the area when I was there.

We have had two does and two fawns feeding every night in our yard.
Last night we were eating supper and I see the mature doe walking towards the trail going to my blind with her nose in the air.
She walked right on the trail going in.
It works well
Going to Cabelas tommorow to pick up a fresh bottle and I may try the vanillakilla stuff also.
Slickhead

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 09:06:00 AM »
I put some on a decoy that had been sitting in the house for several years and it was placed without any other scent killer or anything, bare hands, the whole deal, a buck came in, smelled the decoy and no negative reaction, nose was right up and touching the decoy! Then he bent down and smelled the ground where I stepped and I hadn't put any on my shoe soles and he just about came out of his skin jumping back away from my scent. That told me two things, I needed to get some rubber boots and not wear them around the house and that evercalm WORKS!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 06:42:00 PM »
Ok. Where do i get some of this stuff???? I'll try things people seem to believe in.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
Dick's Sporting Goods sells it.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline bowcrazybrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
The first time I used it I was really skeptical. My dad would always say if it sounds to good to be true it most likely is! Well like many others have said this stuff works. I have had several encounters with multiple deer up close and I am a true believer in this product. I have never had so many relaxed deer around me. Time to get a fresh stick. Money well spent and a stick goes a long ways.

Offline little_feather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
I feel like the only guy posting mixed reviews on ever calm, but I'll go ahead anyway. I shot the biggest buck of my life last fall... with a wheel bow (hate to admit it)... just as the buck crossed my trail he locked up and almost split, if it hadn't been for the doe he was following. I definitely think it works with the does and small bucks, but the big boy wasn't thrilled with the foreign scent in his area. I used it on my boots, after spraying them down completely with scent killer spray... I put on all my hunting clothes with rubber gloves to avoid any scent contamination, so I'm fairly certain it wasn't ME he was smelling.

Look, if it'll give you half a percent better chance of shooting a buck, hell... I say go for it!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
Well folks, I've used a lot of "cover scents" over the years... Some of the "best" were Cover-Up's "Fresh Earth" (smelled like vanilla dirt, lol) and Pete Rickard's "Original Indian Buck Lure".

Well, I've been reading this post and figured I'd give it a SERIOUS try!!! I bought 2 sticks at Dick's yesterday. I had a "rewards" coupon, so they were actualy FREE!!!!! I will not be using any other cover scents or lures this year.

I'll keep you posted!!!!!   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 12:46:00 AM »
This doe I took on Tuesday night was the first time using ever calm. Found this post on Sunday, bought a stick on Monday, hunted Tuesday, and killed this doe.

Stalked in to 15 yards. She was in a clover field and crossed my path I walked in on and was standing 30 yards from where I initially applied it to my boots. It got all over my hands and the stick was in my side pouch of my hip bag. What I'm saying is, I smelled like a deer. Scratch that... I reeked! I almost couldn't stand the smell in the tree stand because I was so careless applying it to my boots and I got it all over me.

Well this doe let me stalk in to her to 15 yards in the middle of a 10" high clover field with zero cover. While she is a yearling, she was directly downwind of me on my final approach.

I'm a believer!

Can't wait to encounter a more mature animal with this stuff in action to get a little more data...

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
Don't and haven't. Have had deer cross my trail and never blink and then again just the opposite. Also have had them bed near me on numerous occasions. Just another gimmick as far as I'm concerned. Sort of like that new driver that's coming out that will add another 10 yards to your drives. Good old P.T.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
Well, went to Dicks today & bought a stick. Will let you guys know what I experience with it.

Offline caligator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »
Really seems to keep them calm. They smell where I stepped but never alarm. I put some on a stick and stuck in the ground, a doe and yearling walked right up to the stick and sniffed. They acted like it was no big deal. Meandered on into the swamp.
The welfare of the state depends upon the morals of its citizens.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
I posted on 09/18 that I had two bucks die over it last year. Now I can say Ive had 3 bucks die over EverCalm.

Granted none of my 3 bucks since last season were geezers but Im just a deer shooting fool and Im thrilled to see any deer wear my tag so Ima stick with it til I get tired of shooting 2 1/2 year olds.

Im sold that it does at least "help" distract a deers nose if not get the best of their curiosity, sometimes. Im sure the longer that I use it, sooner or later an old doe or an older buck may have a bad reaction but Ive got my moneys worth so far.

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
Where are you guys putting the stick on? boots ? Target area?
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
I put it on my boots.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Sounds like it attracts hunters anyway.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
30....haha.

Kind of like fishing lures.

I've done all kinds of crazy stuff when hunting....everything seems to get good and bad results, depending.

I think deer are like people- some are curious, some are scared of their shadow, and some just don't care...they're on a mission.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2015, 08:52:00 AM »
I am giving the stick a try this year.  Have not had a deer close enough for them to smell it.  Bad season so far.  Very bad.

I have used Kershners Trail Maker with success.   In past years I shot deer that followed it right in to me.
Deer are still individual creatures and nothing works on all of them.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »
I had an optimal situation to test the effectiveness of evercalm during last evening's hunt.

Wind was 15-20mph from the east. I had rubbed some evercalm on branches and my treestand platform once I was settled in. Deer were on the move and I had three come from my east and walk past my stand. They milled around feeding for 45 minutes 15 yards downwind of me. Not one of those deer acted interested in my presence. I was impressed! But what really convinced me was the 2.5 year old 8pt that came in from the west (directly downwind of me). He worked over a scrape, spent a good 15 minutes feeding and then proceeded to walk directly to the base of my stand. I may have had some residual evercalm on my boots... That buck fed right on past me without any indication he knew I was there!! Good stuff IMO.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
Why didn't you shoot him?
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »
Waiting to cross paths on another deer I have on camera. This particular piece of ground is very small, maybe 7 acres and it is all bedding ground so I am trying to hold out. Besides, my 10 year old daughter has laid claimed to this buck  :)
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©