3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ever calm deer scent  (Read 425 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ever calm deer scent
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2015, 09:50:00 AM »
Good reason to hold out!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2015, 08:29:00 AM »
Had a young doe come in from a cross wind last night and she milled around for an hour or more just 15 yards from my stand. She was sniffing the air nonstop but never left the area until I had to shoo her away. Also had a big 3 point come in from behind me and lick my application of evercalm off of the tree my stand was in. When he was done he stuck around for a good 10 minutes.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
I bought some and started using it.  Can't say that I had a situation where I thought it helped - just didn't have deer straight down wind much. But it didn't hurt anything that I know of either.

I got to thinking more about it though and have stopped using it.  The stuff comes from deer farms,  and in my part of the country there have been a number of CWD cases in captive deer herds. Deer within the fence escape,  and suddenly we have had new outbreaks in the wild herd.  I am personally convinced that most if not all of our CWD problems have come from captive herds.  

Maybe the place making this stuff had been CWD free so far,  but how can I know it will always be?  There are too many examples of it spreading from one herd to another.  The last thing I want is to take a chance on being indirectly responsible for spreading a disease into a wild herd.  

Just my opinion,  but purchasing products made from captive deer has indirectly ultimately led to the spread of CWD. And in this case we are applying actual secretions from captive deer in our woods.  
I'm going to pass from now on.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
I haven't had issues with deer smelling where I walk...ever really. Scents have worked once for me and spooked deer all other times, I go without now. All the scent removal sprays have shown ineffective as well. I broke my rule and used a real good natural local doe urine, collected by the deer peeing into a bedpan, yes they are trained, and had nothing positive happen on a mature buck this year as it crossed the wind of it. And I know he smelled it because he spooked. Forget it IMO.  I think it builds Hunter confidence.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
I killed a small doe yesterday that came in directly down wind. She was a little bit shakey but was smelling the area I had put the stuff. she stood a second the got relaxed and strolled by fairly calm. I watched my wind string point directly to her and I was only 14 feet up. I`m not sold its perfect but I will say it for sure did not hurt this time.
  after deer season or if I can get my last buck tagged I`m gonna buy different scents and scatter then in different areas with trail cams on them just to see what happens.
  I did this with scrape juice and had a dog come in to the scrape and flop around in it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©