3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: for Deer do you use a Face Mask  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
for Deer do you use a Face Mask
« on: September 19, 2015, 08:06:00 AM »
curious what the thoughts are on face masks,,,,, I always been one of them hunters when a deer is coming in my head/face is turned and I'm watching it from the side out of one eye until the moment of truth my head comes slowly around as the bow is coming to full draw..  

I do wear a spandoflage sometimes but a face mask to me is something you have to wear when your practicing for it to really work or you will always blame bad flight or a miss on that very mask.  

So whoever reads this, do you wear one every time maybe use face paints, or don't even bother,  

does your success really matter you think??
"Us vs Them"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: for Deer do you use a Face Mask
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »
You'll get a lot of differing opinions on this, but mine is that a mask or face paint make a big difference. It's especially true if you're on the ground.

Is it absolutely needed... no. Does it help... yes.

A very experienced hunter can get by without it but if you are relatively new at this you can use all the edge you can muster.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »
Face mask gets in the way of my anchor.  In a tree... i use nothing. When hunting from the ground... face paint.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
Charlie said it as I think it.  

On the ground it is much more important to blend a bit, than while in a tree, especially at ten yards or less.  Sure, you can get by without it, but it really does make a difference.  Same with your hands.
ChuckC

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 08:54:00 AM »
Always wear spandoflage, great camo, provides a level of warmth and custom fits to you face.  I've never had an issue, they do stretch and wear out after a season, simply replace and you're in business. Good luck.
"They're all trophies"

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
Same here I always use a spandoflage face net.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
I agree with Charlie.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
I like the spandoflage type masks.  Doesn't interfere with my anchor.  I hunt from the ground and I think its very important to cover the face.  I like the rynoskin mask because the bugs can't bite through it...should have got the gloves too cause they ate my hands up last time out.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
I am sure ones skin complexion could be a concerN, I am pretty dark completed to never have had too much trouble being pegged without face camo but it still happens. I've tried products such as spandofluage and have just found my confidence to be affected too much with it. I use face paint in warm weather and cold weather and with cold-weather I wear a cap and neck gator which I can slide on and off my face if it gets really cold.
I am sure if I practiced with the facemask I'd be ok but why bother

Offline stonewall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
I don't use any. I got long hair and a long beard.

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
If I'm in a tree or tripod, I always wear a leafy-flage facemask. If in an enclosed blind, I do not wear a mask.

Bisch

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
I like spandoflauge - and a leafy head top - and I almost always smear burned cork on my mid face - cheeks - ears. I think a bare face looks like a freakin headlight in the woods. Not a fan f masks though. and I like a glove on my left hand.
Cory<><
<-----------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 10:21:00 AM »
I use Spandoflauge as well since forever never had a issue.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
Yep,

I always have one on.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 10:33:00 AM »
I keep a fairly tight (not spandoflex) face mask on my head. I don't keep it down during low probability times (as best one can predict) because they make my nose run and I may sneeze.

I pull it down if deer are coming. Sometimes I don't get it pulled down and but I can't remember the last time I was "caught" in my tree stand. I think being still when deer might be looking is most important. However, even that I don't practice like when I was scared too death a deer would see me. I remember in the early days I'd move my eyes, then my head when SLOWLY scanning the area around my stand.

I worry that there have been deer I didn't know were out in the bush 40-50 yards that I didn't see who caught me in the stand because of an uncovered face.

I've thought about going back to face paint like I used in the 1970's. One year I even cut the leg  (thigh) out of a pair of camp pants and made eye-holes for a mask.

I'm sure ground hunting would require more stealthy approaches. I've only ground hunted whitetails one time and that was from a popup blind in TX. No face mask though. Kill one hog and one deer in the same hour. I have to admit though these beasts were focused on a feeder which was the first time I had experienced that. Fun but not for me.

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
I use the natural camo full beard that God gave me with a little face paint on the areas the beard doesn't cover.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »
I usually do,  but occasionally pull it down.  When I've been busted in stand it's always been when I didn't have a mask on.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
Compoundless, yup I used to do that also, but now I look like the hind end of a scared antelope ( white shiny beard) that might not have the same camo effect.

ChuckC

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »
Facemask & 3-D leafy head covering.

Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
I dont like facemasks at all...cant stand something on my face. Never had too many issues getting busted without one in a treestand...but if u can stand to wear one it wouldnt hurt.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©