3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: for Deer do you use a Face Mask  (Read 1019 times)

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: for Deer do you use a Face Mask
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
I was duck hunting one day, and noticed a  bright light shining every time a flock of ducks would approach the blind on the other side of the lake. After awhile I took my binoculars out, and found it was another hunter without a face mask on.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
Had to shave for medical reasons, will be rocking a face mask since the deer here know faces.

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
No, being a ninja is not likely gonna help you kill a deer, but it might kill your positive anchor point..
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
wore one for yrs. but have had them keep me from getting to anchor before, so quit wearing one 5-6 yrs. ago.. just have to watch moving your head quickly if deer are in close as they can pick you off easier but other then that enjoy not wearing it anymore.I do usually have a partial or full beard though..
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE:
I use the natural camo full beard that God gave me with a little face paint on the areas the beard doesn't cover.
this^^
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2015, 07:56:00 AM »
Same as above, a face really sticks out when on the ground, which is where I now do 90% of my hunting-darn knees.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
Around here, the deer really do not like me. I wear a mask so they cannot tell who I am.   ;)    :p  

I hate breathing into a mask in colder weather, It tends to get wet and sometimes freezes.  Often I will leave it pulled up until I see/hear a  deer or paint the face. Also, I have cut out the mouth area so I have less chance of getting it soggy.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
I use paint. Never did like wearing a mask. But yes on the ground it definitely makes a difference. In a tree I tend to go without because I don't like the cleanup.

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
With my white beard, I use a face mask when the muzzle season is over lapping. I don't want them to think that I am a deer's tail, maybe I should color it blaze orange. Do they make that 'Just For Men' stuff in blaze orange? Other times I do not, I just smile nice and the deer will think that I am friendly.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2015, 05:02:00 PM »
I did, I have moved more to a beanies and neck gaiter combo, eyes are free, can pull up and down when you want or have to.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline LB243

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »
Carbomask for me. Used to wear a mesh mask but have switched to paint only. And this stuff cleans up with a wet wipe back at the truck.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
"A very experienced hunter can get by without it but if you are relatively new at this you can use all the edge you can muster."

Yep , I use one....   :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
Don't want to scare the animals to death with a puss like mine. Wouldn't be fair. So I wear a mask at all times when hunting. The locals will just have to put up with my looks.

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2015, 06:42:00 PM »
Face paint for me, I don't care for the masks.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
I always wear a light weight net face mask.
T ZZZZ

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »
Used to but realized 20+ years ago after getting glasses and getting tired of fogged up lenses I started leaving the head net in the truck. Guess what, my hunting never lacked a bit and the deer and elk and tons of other critters really didn't care even on the ground at point blank range.

I will wear one the silk type to keep warm or when misquotes are bad but I really, really try not to and it gets slide down when I plan on taking a shot. I sure enjoy not having to use one that's for sure and can kill plenty of animals with out it. IMO.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »
I would like to tell a little story on how ones face can give you away;

A few years ago I was guiding a Bear hunter in Alaska, we were in a tree stand on a river at a likely fishing spot for Brown Bears. A nice Bear comes out and catches a fish and climbs the cutbank below us putting his head angled right at us as he climbs. He absolutely blows up and lights out. We were in a leafy cottonwood, good cover. I never understood what went wrong.

Two years later I put a stand in the same tree. Another guide had a bowhunter and himself in it. I was drifting down the river in a boat looking for spot and stalk opportunities. I stopped a couple hundred yards away to glass and ensure we would not drift past them and spook a Bear. I knew where they were at but couldn't see them until someone turned their head and the sun hit their face.......WOW. A freakn spotlight!

I knew then what had happened and how important covering your face is.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
Sounds like someone needs to get out and get a tan     :bigsmyl:    

Location, location, location why would you set your self up to look into the sun, that's what you want the deer to be looking into if possible. There's a whole lot to be said about woodsmanship skills and reading the land, scouting and paterning animals before ever placing a stand or blind and brushing them in.IMHO

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
I like having setups that provide very close shots...and nothing sticks out in the woods like a persons face....

I can't stand having a net on so I use paint, just enough to break my outline up.

With some face paint and a leafy suit deer can stand there feeding 8 yards away and not know you are there. Sometimes they look around and seem to look right through you...

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
NO, nuff said.....    :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©