3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Padding the loops… really needed?  (Read 940 times)

Padding the loops… really needed?
« on: September 20, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »
Okay… I see guys talking about padding their Flemish string loops to 16, 18, even 20 strands.  I make most of my strings with 14 strands of D-97 and still use #4 nylon serving—I’m a dinosaur.  Makes a perfect fit for my nocks.

Now… when I make 10 or 12 strand strings for my light rigs, I do pad them to 14, but I can’t get my head around why guys pad to 18 or 20. What’s your thinking?  Quieter, easier on string groves… what is it?

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Padding the loops… really needed?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 02:27:00 PM »
Jim,

If they are using skinnier strands of material and making skinny strings, I think they pad the loops to protect the the limb tips.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
I just feel better having padded loops on a low stretch string that's on a vintage bow.

Quieter?  I never tested it but believe it can help.
Lon Scott

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
I like them because of the added protection for the string. Very thick where I hunt and always getting hung up on limbs, brush, etc. Just saves a little "wear and tear."

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
I use 14 strands of D97 on my bows also, and do not pad the loops. Like said above, I think for the really skinny strings, it might be needed, but I have been shooting the same 14 strands of D97 for years with no issues.

Bisch

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
I make 12-15 strand strings for all my bows no padding. D97 for many years.....
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »
I do 12 strands of D97 and pad to 16. Why? Because it makes a nice sized loop.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »
Nothing wrong with D97. I used to love that material. Using Fury now because you never have to readjust your brace height like you do with D97. But if you don't mind that D97 is great.

Like Bill said its better for a limb tip if the groove is full of string.  It also helps with noise on recurve limbs.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
Since bow string material comes in many different diameters these days, I like to pad the loops until they are at least the equivalent of 14 strands of B-50.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
Jim,

i do it primarily for 3 reasons..

1. Most bowyers recommend it and like the thought of a fatter loop as compared to a skinnier loop.  
2. My customers want it.  
3. Why not?  It wont do anything "bad" to the bow.  

Just thinking aloud on this... but the formula for Pressure is = P=F/A (Pressure = Force/Area)
I personally believe that adding to the area(padding) only helps things due to it adding more area for the force to be applied.  With today's low stretch material, I want to be sure that I am protecting my customers bows, my name(for business and for me), and being sure that I make a quality string that has very little negative feedback.  

As stated above, D97 is a much larger material than some of the more modern string materials(X, Fury, etc), so the extra padding is not to make it larger than 14 strands of D97, but to get it to the same diameter.

I have always wondered though, at what point is a string padded "enough"?  I have had a customer return a string because it was "too padded".  It was a 14 strand b55, padded to 16.  Everyone liked different things, just be sure to protect your bow.  

Sorry to ramble,

Daniel
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
I just got one of Daniel's strings.  Low count but padded loops.  For me, it was quieter than other strings- D97 Flemish or endless loops.
I did not run it through the chrono but it seems to shoot the same as my endless.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 10:15:00 AM »
For string makers, part of it is "cya".  Some bowyers require it.

IMO it's also easier on the limb tips (don't know that it's needed though) and, at least on recurves, quieter.  Like Daniel said, it won't hurt anything, and it takes very little time to do.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 03:28:00 PM »
Adding strands to the loops isn't a product of just the modern string material era!

Many strings made before, Dacron, polyester, Barbours linen, etc, were reinforced with extra strands to protect the string loops,not the bow!

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
I used to do so ... Now I don't bother. I typically shoot 8-12 strands of 8125 which is quite a bit thinner than D97 IIRC. I don't pad the loops or the serving anymore. I just use thick .030 halo serving for nock fit. Haven't noticed any meaningful difference. I also make my own strings and bows, so I've usually got two more bows finished before the last one is even fully shot in. String wear is not a major concern for me, but even if it was I still wouldn't pad unless for style like adding blaze orange or something.

I try to use cocobolo or king wood, or PHENOLIC! Or something super hard For limb tips. You're not going to cut through it with the string and modern dyneema string is durable to the point of ridiculous.

I'm also talking Flemish twist strings which are definately more prone to wear in the loops and also definately put more stress on the tips because the twisted loop is not perfectly round.

Infinite loop should be even more of a non-issue.

I think Bowyers require it because they are running businesses ... And because I think some may be stuck in the 20th century. That's right ... It's 2015. I say that as politely as I can.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
Yeah Ben, alot of bowyers are 3 steps behind!    :bigsmyl:    

As for #4 nylon, I still love it too, Jim!

Ol' School, heck yeah, I thought we're shooting traditional bows?

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
I only pad when I make a string for a vintage bow that wasn't made for Fast Flite. Just as a precaution to protect the bow

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »
8125 is a smaller strand than Dynaflight '97.  Padding the loops doesn't hurt anything, and it's quieter--at least on recurve bows.  For the time it takes (very little), it's cheap insurance IMO.

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
Hey Chad,

Glad you opened this thread.  As you saw in my first post, when I make 10 or 12 strand strings from my D 97, I pad the loops to 14.  However, when I make a 14 strand string from the D 97, or an 18 stand string from the 8190 you sent me, I don't pad the loops.

So... question... if you're making a 14 strand D 97 string, do you pad the loops?  If so, how many strands?

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
Honestly Jim, you don't have to pad with 14 strands.

But you can add extra if so desired.

Black Widow I'm sure uses 14 strand with no padding.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »
With Dynaflight '97, I pad the loops to 18 strands.  With 8190 or BCY-X, I pad to 24.

BW does use a 14 strand Dynaflight '97 with no padding in the loops;  and a padded loop string is without a doubt a lot quieter on the ones I've had my hands on (several).

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©