3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly single bevel performed well. (Edited errors from typing on an iphone)  (Read 508 times)

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Whitetails in Wyoming this week. I have always wanted to try Grizzly single bevel broadheads. The first deer I shot was slightly quatering away 14  yard shot from a fairly high treestand. He was walking when I shot, he bucked just slightly at the hit and ran 55 steps and stopped, standing there, he didn't seem too spooked by the arrow slipping through with little resistance.  He fought wobbly legs and fell right there. Perfect! The blood trail was fair but it is very difficult to see blood in that dry grass. There was a pretty good crack when the deer was hit. I don't know if it was the off side scapula or the arrow hitting rocks when it passed through.
During pre-hunt preparations I had honed the 185 grizzlies to an extreme edge and used a 75 gr adapter making a total of 274 grains up front with the arrow insert.  I had to get the deer to processing because it got warm. So I was unable to skin it and look at the damage.          

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
In the first photo, if you zoom in you can see the deer in the background where he fell. (I was laying on the ground to take the photo of the arrow). I was really happy with the performance and had he best blood trail and shortest recovery of the week. Everyone else in camp was shooting a compound. Most struggled with penetration, blood trail and recovery. This is a hard place to recover a deer if there isn't much blood.    

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
With some time to spare and a re-sharpened Grizzly I went after a doe. The shot was 24 paces broadside. The deer did react pretty hard at the shot. She had just made me when I released. The hit was tight to the shoulder and complete pass through, she wirled and stumbled somehow she bent the stock goldtip insert in the shaft as it was stuck in the dirt. Otherwise all went perfectly and the doe ran about 80 steps before falling. It left a really good blood trail. Both deer were down in probably 10 seconds. I'll be resharpening and re using these!!  

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
I used the same arrow for both deer. I didn't get to skin either but looked inside w a flashlight. You could't ask for more out of a broadhead.  

Offline hunterjrg

• Trad Bowhunter
Very nice. Congrats

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
Great pixs Tedd....that's a good size hole in that doe. Good for you showing the others what good broadheads do    :thumbsup:
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
Well done! My Widow and Grizzly Kodiaks have teamed up to take a few Deer, they'll get the job done no doubt.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Bill makes a great broadhead!

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly single bevel performed well. (Edited errors from typing on an iphone)
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
Nicely done! Grizzlys are my favorite head. Just simple and deadly. Congrats!

Gabe

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly single bevel performed well. (Edited errors from typing on an iphone)
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 06:19:00 PM »
Very nice and congrats on the freezer full!!you have done WELL!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
Congratulations! Looks like perfect shots on both of them.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
very nice, thanks for sharing. Im glad to see the grizzlies performance, its one of those heads I have always wanted to try but never have for some reason , I bet those wheelie guys are re thinking things with their penetration issues
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
A trip you will never forget... Must have been nice at cocktail time with the compound guys!

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
Excellent! Congrats on the double up!

Bisch

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
I make them as sharp as possible with the KME.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
great shooting congrats
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
Way to go Tedd! Some great trophy's and some good shooting!

Kenny
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
Awesome, congrats on both deer!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©