3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great local MD store experience  (Read 211 times)

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
Great local MD store experience
« on: October 13, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
I went to a big box store down the street from me the other night to get my old Bear poundage tested.  The guy just pressed the bow down until it basically read what the written weight was - 55#'s then had me do some sort of exercise to measure my draw length - 29.5".  I quickly realized the store really had no clue when it came to trad gear.

I spoke with an older gentleman on the phone earlier in the week and was telling him I was having trouble finding someone/place with arrows for me to test. So, I went to a local store this morning, Crosswind Outdoors, after duck hunting.

He said to stop by they have a few and a small 10 yard range inside.  I walked in and the guy working in the bow repair setup was Bob.  I showed him my bow and we took it upstairs.

He took the time to remeasure my draw length and the poundage of the bow at that length.  No surpise, that the numbers were completely different from what the big box store said down the road.

He had more than a few arrows to try.  I tried several different ones in cedar, aluminum and carbon.  He wrote down which ones shot the best in each material and I ended up getting a half dozen of the cedar arrows from the shop.  Hed cut and glued on points and I was off to my local range for a bit of shooting this afternoon.

I just cannot tell everyone how refreshing it was to walk into a shop that new trad. gear.  They even had flu flus on hand!  

If Bob reads this forum - THANKS!!!!!!!  :clapper:  Stop by and see him.

Mike
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Great local MD store experience
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
Yeah that is the MT Airy Gun Shack right? They are starting to carry a fair amount of traditional stuff. Nice guys in there.

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
Please do tell!!! Is it Gun Shack? I am by there once a week for work. I live close in Eldersburg and work out of Ellicott City.

C'mon now, don't keep it a secret.

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
The Gun Shack and Crosswinds are in the same store.  Tim runs the archery side and his dad the gun side.  

They are great people to work with.

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »
Yup, it is better known as the Gun Shack.  Bob said they are seeing an increased interest in traditional gear so they are trying to keep more on stuff on hand.

It is a great start.

Mike
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »
I got a chance to stop in yesterday. I wanted to grab a few fresh arrows. I have dealt with several folks in the area, and I must say....it was one of the most pleasant "pro shop" visits I have ever had. They have a decent selection of Trad stuff, and are just a very easy going bunch. They made me feel extremely welcome, and as a result, they are now "my" archery shop.

They make it very easy to be a customer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©