3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ok, so I finally built a back quiver! (Build-a-long) COMPLETED! with pics  (Read 1274 times)

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
I've had the leather and the idea now for quite some time. Hope to have it ready for the season that is fast approaching, only I am going to get fancy with it and do some carving and everything. Only thing is, I've never done any of this, but I have a lot of leather working tools. The main part of the quiver is cut and I worked out a little more of the design. It is a Hill style but with the sides cut out and a piece of darker suede leather in this place. This leather is lighter in weight and I think will help it form to the desired collapse easier. I will get pics of this when I can, think it will turn out nicely, just think I am not estimating the time involvement correctly.
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ok, so I finally built a back quiver! (Build-a-long) COMPLETED! with pics
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
Before you start carving you might want to practice on a scrap piece especially if you've never carved leather before.
Good luck, I hope everything turns out well. I can't wait for pictures.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 07:47:00 PM »
Ya, I practiced a little after work last night. I think I can do a decent job with it. I just have to come up with the design is all. I am wet forming the bottom piece tonight. I am going to glue on another piece for the bottom, then put foam on top of that.
 Something I thought about while I was making a form for the bottom piece, is that there is no drain. Should I put a few holes in the bottom to allow for this?
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
If you're following Bud B's plans then the holes for the lacing would be more than enough for drainage. I wouldn't go adding more holes and weaken the leather on the base. Now something I would suggest is some kind of waterproofing agent. I've used SnoSeal with success on a pair of boots and my feet stay dry. I coated both the inside and outside of my quiver. I haven't hunted with it yet or had it in bad weather, however my feet stayed dry with it on my boots in mud and snow so it should protect your quiver very well.
Something I did to help quiet my quiver was to add fur around the opening of it. That keeps the arrows from bouncing around so much and holds them still. In the bottom I have two layers of carpet to keep the arrows from banging against each other.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 03:27:00 AM »
This is my first ever leather project. I did some you tubing for the idea on how to do the carving. I have a ton of leather working stuff a friend of mine gave me a while back, and I've had the idea and leather for quite some time. Figured it is time.
 So, without further ado. Here are some pics. I am going to make templates for all the pieces as I get them all finished also, before I stitch it all up.
 I just have to go look at how to post the pics first.
 1 moment...

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:48:00 AM »

This is the bottom piece. I wet molded it by cutting a template of the shape I wanted the bottom. Then cutting the shape out of a board and cutting the side clamp pieces. I let it soak for 15 or so, then formed it over it and clapped it in a vise, then put a board over the top and strapped it down over it. Let it sit over night and came back and it was good to go.
 Next I am going to glue another piece on this to add a little thickness and stiffness also.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 03:56:00 AM »
Wish I could figure out how to get it where you can just see it when you come to this post.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 04:00:00 AM »
Ok, so on with it.

This is an idea of the quiver put together, the two sides will have a piece of buckskin leather or something like that on the sides.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 04:08:00 AM »
Here is the design I originally came up with, but when I added the stitching and the borders it would not fit.

I traced the design with tracing paper then used a tool with a rounded tip, and wet the leather then trace the design.
After this you take a knife 9a swivel knife would have been great) and then a tool with a small spoon shape and push the leather down so that the pattern stands out. I still have some detail work to do.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 04:11:00 AM »

I will cut a strip down the middle of the back and glue that in, and around the top and stitch that one in. All the edges inside will be covered will glue or something so the broad heads don't catch. I also have rabbit fur that I am going to put on the upper opening.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 04:12:00 AM »
More to come......

Offline brohymn2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 07:11:00 AM »
That looks awesome

Offline nitwit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
That is looking great!

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
Looks great so far!
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 01:35:00 PM »
Am enjoying your take on BQ construction.  Molding a double layered bottom is a cool idea.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »
So I unclamped the bottom piece. Hindsight being 20/20, I should cut the top piece a little bigger then cut it after it is glued up. I didn't because I burnished the edges of that piece to help a little with the water resistance bit. I think I am going to put a hole at each end and one in the middle back for a little drainage.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 03:10:00 AM »
Ok, so here is the progress for tonight. Looks like it's going to take a little bit to get this piece all finished. then I can dye it andstart sewing things together. I am going to put some bracing in also. I'll have to add another row of sticking along the top for a piece. I am going to put rabbit fur on top of this also. It will line the top area. I am also going to put another brace down the middle going down the back for bracing. I want the back to be somewhat rigid while the front (which would actually be the back, the side exposed) to be more collapsible.

Looks like a couple weeks, but it will be worth it once I get er done.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 07:35:00 AM »
Looking good so Far!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
Looks great.  I personally like the look of the leather darkening naturally instead of using dye but to each his own.  Also if you dye it, be sure to get something that won't bleed off to your clothes when you sweat or get rained on. Again great job.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »
Going to Tandy in a little bit for some leather. Thanks for the tip on the dye Gordon. I'll make sure I do that. I just want to darken it a little so that the design comes out a little. I'll probably put resist on the design.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©