3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ok, so I finally built a back quiver! (Build-a-long) COMPLETED! with pics  (Read 1277 times)

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ok, so I finally built a back quiver! (Build-a-long) COMPLETED! with pics
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 10:29:00 PM »
I went to Tandy today and got some pretty good stuff to finish this up. I got a springbok hide for the sides. It's going to be good. I also got a new weave stamp that is pretty nice. I'll post pics of the new stuff later.
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2015, 07:44:00 AM »
Gordon's on the money about dyeing this.  I'd just give the finished leather a treatment or two with Neatsfoot, Pitch Blend Oil, Olive Oil, etc. and let the leather take it's own patina, I think you'd be happier seeing your art work this way in years to come.  

Bud Blaylock built a quiver for me three years ago.  Here's a pic of when he had just finished it

And the same quiver this Spring.  I use pitch blend oil.

ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
That looks pretty good Green. Will it continue to darken or will it stop at a point? I was looking at dying it and sealing it in really well to help the water resistance. I like that look also, but I put in a lot of backgrounding that will come out better with a dye applied.
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2015, 03:39:00 AM »
Ok, so I can't make this easy on myself. I did some more and have plans for the rest. Here is where I am at. If anyone has not done any leather work, don't worry neither have I. It is not hard to work with though. Here is a way you can do it.

Start with a picture you want to put on the leather. You can use one  from a magazine or anywhere.  
Next trace the picture on tracing paper with a pen.  
Decide where you want the picture to be placed and tape down the picture after dampening the leather with a sponge and water. Use a tool like the one shown, for this detailed of a picture make sure it has a fine point. (This tool has a blunt blade edge but a fine pointed tip) Use light pressure so that you don't cut up the tracing paper, it will be plenty to get this picture onto the leather if it is good and damp.

Next, if you have a swivel knife, use this to cut the main picture into the leather, again, make sure the leather is damp and use light pressure. I used a regular leather knife on the bottom pieces, but the swivel knife is much better. They go for 20-50 depending on what you get.  

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 03:42:00 AM »

Strop the blade regularly during this process with a scrap piece of leather.

With a small spoon tool go around the picture and push the leather down outside the main parts. You will then push down the leather with the spoon to get different depths in the leather. When the leather is damp you can apply pressure and push the leather down.  
This is done by pushing down and dragging it across the leather.  
These are the basic tools you will need to put your pictures onto the leather.

I am not done with this picture, but wanted to give an update. I will put two oak leaves above and below this picture and run the deer and turkey tracks up a bit more with oak leaves above them. I think this will be done after that and I will move to dying it and finishing and conditioning it. Then finish making the pieces and start putting things together.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2015, 06:34:00 AM »
Very nice art work....you'll definitely have a one of a kind BQ!

John.....the quiver will continue to darken if I continue with annual coats of oil.  With all the work on yours, I can understand your desire to dye/seal it for protection.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2015, 10:32:00 PM »
I must say you do very, very good work with those tools. My talents stop with stick people. Just could not get the "swivel " into the swivel knife.
As for darkening for high lights. You should be ok doing that but I would use a oil rather than Laq finish Tandy sells. I made a quiver years ago from veg tan but decided it would look good in black. I dyed it, and two of my shirts as well. Lesson learned. Latigo is waterproof but it bleeds as well. I use olive oil and rub it over and over to get out as much of the red as I can. I do have a shirt that goes with that quiver as well.
But alas, it is just to hot here in Zoney land for me and a back quiver so mine are fancy arrow buckets.
Oh by the way, buy more leather, you will want to make more.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
Will the leather bleed if you dye it and seal it in? I would prefer to do things a bit more natural, but want to make sure all this work comes out too. I also want to make sure that it stays the color I want it.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »
Sweet!!! That's going to be one awesome looking quiver!!!    :clapper:

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
Ok, so I think I am about ready to dye it and move on. I need to work on the strap next. I want to do one without a buckle kinda like a martin style. I will punch 6-8 holes and lace a piece of leather through them.

I don't know why but Imgur is being finicky. I tried posting these last night but it will not see me last photos. They are on the comp, but when I go to load them Imgur doesn't see them. I can't drag and drop them either like it says you can. I had some others closer up, but you can see the whole design in the first photo.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
Sweet, I got it to work. Here are the other two.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2015, 03:50:00 AM »
I made the strap today. I am going to do it kinda like the Martin quivers, with lace on the bottom stitched through so it can be adjusted and a leather strap sewn on the top. Here is what I have now.    

I had to figure out a way to stick the rabbit fur on where I can still do a double loop or a braided top without going over the fur on the stick. I think this will work. I stitched the fur then folded it down. I will stick this leather brace to the upper part of the quiver and cut the spring book hide for the sides and stitch them in. After that I will start sewing them in.
 Next step is to dye the strap and the main piece. Then I will start stitching in pieces.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2015, 10:03:00 AM »
Sweet!!!!

Offline jbrogdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »
That gobbler looks really good!!

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2015, 03:24:00 AM »
I finally did the dying. I was kinda not looking forward to this, but I think it turned out good. It is a little darker than I wanted, but will work. I will put on a satin sheen tomorrow. The hides are just taped in right now, I have to shave a little more around the edges. I will glue them in place then stitch them in. I am going to glue a liner in also after I get the hides and strap stitched in. The hides are pretty thin and I want a little extra protection.

I had to use this Springbok tail on this quiver. It is presented better when the hide is bent the other way, but this area is really thick with fur so I used it here for a shoulder pad.

I was apprehensive about cutting the hide, but figured out a good way to get the spots that I wanted. My delima was that I could place the leather over where I wanted, but have to cut the hide from the other side. So, I needed a way to get the areas that I wanted. A friend suggested putting pins in the hide to mark where I wanted them. I then traced the panel out of a piece of spliced tracing paper (because you can see through and make sure the piece will be big enough to go through the stitching holes. I used these templates to mark the hide on the leather side and the pins to make sure I was where I needed to be.
 I didn't have a camera when I was doing this. I trimmed the edges of the hide. I still have a little more to go. I am using an electric razor to shave off the hair from the edges about 3/8" on the outside to give the glue a good surface to bond to.
 The next steps are to get the hair shaved down the rest of the way, put on the finish, and start sticking in the sides and top. After I get the sides and top I will glue in a liner, and then I can start lacing it all together.
 Making progress, but man is this more work than I originally thought.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
I stitched in the lower part of the strap to the main part of the quiver last night. I also applied the finish and tried to shave down the rest of the edges of the hides. Has anyone used Nair to eat the hair down to the leather on stuff like this? I may try it with a scrap piece to see if it will work.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2015, 11:02:00 PM »
I tried Nair to see if it would remove the little hair that is left. No dice! I glued the right side panel on with gorilla super glue gel, but it took forever because I did a little area at a time. The left side I am using contact cement. I did a test piece of each and they both hold well. After I get these glued in I can start lacing them.
 I forgot to mention also, I did two pieces that I will cover the inner sides of these hides with. It is a little lighter weight leather than the main body, but enough to protect the hides, there was already a small slit in the leather side of the hide. I want something to protect them from broadheads. I dyed those also, very quickly, didn't care how it looked as long as it was about the same color. I am about to put a couple coats of satin sheen on them as well.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2015, 04:46:00 AM »
I almost got the hides stitched in. I think the cement was easiest. Just shave down the edge as good as you can. I only shaved about 3/8" off the edge. The cement fills the area nicely with a thick coat. I coated the main panel and gave it about 20 minutes to dry, then you can put it on lightly and make sure it's where you want, then press it on. Stays on good and you can pull it taunt.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2015, 02:51:00 AM »
I got both hides stitched in tonight. When doing the hide I sets it was much better to use the cement. I will hopefully get the liners glued in this weekend and get a good ways on the lacing bit also.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2015, 06:04:00 AM »
well buddy thats some fine work right there well done   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©