3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ok, so I finally built a back quiver! (Build-a-long) COMPLETED! with pics  (Read 1275 times)

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ok, so I finally built a back quiver! (Build-a-long) COMPLETED! with pics
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2015, 07:26:00 AM »
Looks really nice!

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
Thanks Jeff B. You are a lucky man, I love where u are at. I spent a month on the north and a month on the south islands.
Love it there, want to live there someday.

I got the hides stitched in now. I'm visiting my Dad and brought the quiver with me, we'll see if I can do anything else to it, otherwise looks like I may actually finish it next week.
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2015, 05:43:00 AM »
I didn't get to do any work on it when I went to visit and help out my Dad. I got some work on it tonight. I glued in the liners, and started the lacing up the middle.

For the lacing up the middle I am doing a mexican braid. You go up 4 holes diagonally and down 3 on the side away from you. You keep the laces under and over. I will probably put a liner strip over the lacing on the inside so I don't cut them, this lacing is taking a long time so far.
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2015, 05:50:00 AM »
As most HH style quivers are overlapped, I was wondering how you were going to lace this one up.  As with everything you're doing here......way above what was expected to be seen!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
I can't seem to make anything easy on this one.

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
jmar595, I just want you to know, that if you decide that this quiver isn't for you, I'd be willing to "relieve" you of the burden. lol

Looks great. I don't have any artistic skill, I just build things that work. I'm glad to see someone putting in the effort to make something so nice. I hope it works out for you.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
Thank you Dorado, I think I may pass this one down though.

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
That is truly impressive, where did you learn to leatherwork?
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
This is my first project. Watched some youtube videos to get some ideas.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2015, 03:54:00 AM »
I finished lacing the middle. WOW, very TEDIOUS. The mexican braid is a nice lace, but it takes a very long time and your hands will hurt after. There is a lot of pulling through. I would definately say to use larger holes instead of the slits. I had to open up all the holes every time I went through them with an awl. You have to go through the holes a couple times, and open them up both times. You get a rhythm after a bit, but it is still very slow going. I learned quickly that you can pinch the lace between your fingers and pull it through them to keep the lace from twisting up like crazy. The lace needs to be very long for this. I had to do one splice and the next time I made it a lot longer. On one side I ran out, only had one stitch left. I just used the other sides lace, as it was the last one.
 So hindsight, use holes. I will post pictures later, going to get some sleep now.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
Had  some more time. I got the lacing down the middle flattened out a bit. I used some conditioner that I rubbed in then put in a box of brad nails inside to act as an anvil and used a big metal mallet and beat the lacing down a bit.

I got the bottom laced in with a double loop two tone lacing.This is a pretty easy lace, I kinda messed up the beginning and the ending. I had JUST enough lace to finish. The Tandy lacing book tells you you need 4x the amount of the length for lacing. I would go with 5 to be more on the safe side.
 I also glued the fur on the top with contact cement. I applied the glue to the inside of the quiver and to the inside of the fur also. Let it sit 15 to 20 minutes then carefully tucked it in and pressed it down.

Next I will lace up the top and then poke some holes around the strap at the fur area and lace around the edge of the strap and the fur. After I get the opening and the strap laced up I will stitch in the lace that will be the bottom of the strap. For this I got 1/4" lace.

This is the close to finished product.

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2015, 02:27:00 PM »
Very nice!! Your attention to detail is amazing!
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
I may just finish this tonight. I got the bottom and top laced in and glued the rabbit fur in. Now I need to lace both sides of the strap where the fur is, and put in the lacing to the bottom of the quiver and run in through the holes in the strap. I also need to put a hole in the bottom right of the bottom of the quiver for drainage, forgot to do this earlier.

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2015, 02:40:00 AM »
Almost done, it will be done tomorrow. Just have some finishing details to do and give it a good conditioning. I have a spot on the top side that the finish cracked. I will need to refinish that area also.
 The quiver is wearable now, and works like I waned it to. I put it on and moved around wildly with a couple arrows in and no sound, not a peep. That was only a coupe arrows, but looks like it will work well. It collapses in the middle easily but maintains its shape and you can get arrows in and out without them getting caught.
 I need to figure out something for the front lacing where I can adjust the fit. I have two ends hanging out and am thinking a good antler button or a square piece of leather with two holes and a little design on it would work nicely for this.
 I will need to let it air out pretty good because of the contact cement, but should be able to take it out in the woods in a couple weeks.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
Ill take it

Very cool
Slickhead

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »
Ok, so I got it done. I'll add a few small things like a call holder and a knife sheath on the strap, but it is now done and usable (after it airs a bit).

Some things to remember on the next one.
1 Don't use red shop rags. I used one for putting on the conditioner to the middle lacing and picked out enough red lint to knit a mouse a nice cozy sweater. It turned the lacing purple. Hopefully I can get all that out someday.
2 Make sure your slits or holes or large enough for your lacing. I had to open up all the holes I did which was much more work than if I'd done it to begin with.
3 Have fun and remember it will eventually get finished. The outcome is worth the extra effort and time.

I'll post pictures when I can.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »
Looking forward to the final pics jmar.  That's quite a piece of functional art you've made for yourself.  Should last a few generations.     :thumbsup:
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
Wow!!! Your first project is better than my best project. You did a fine job, thanks for sharing.   :archer:

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
Here are some of the finished product.

I'll post some more of some of the different areas later on.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
WOW that's a beauty.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    

A duplicate like that would make an incredible St. Jude's Auction item.    ;)    ;)
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©