3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Am I normal?  (Read 861 times)

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Am I normal?
« on: September 22, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
I'm in my 44th year on this earth. In my young days I just wanted to kill, kill, kill. Over the last few years, the killing aspect hasn't seemed as important. I've quit killing doe that have little ones with them. I've come to love watching their interactions with one another. I do realize that any time that I kill a doe, there is a good chance she's got a little one somewhere, just not with her at the moment. I just feel like I'm getting soft. I don't have issues killing a buck. Am I alone on this or is this a natural progression for most?

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Am I normal?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
Seems one reads more and more of that as hunters age.  

Some of us have hunted way more then we've tagged critters.  So everyone may not respond the same, but only one that matters is YOU!

Do what your heart and gut tells you!   :wavey:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
No you are not. I know and understand. I am 40 and I killed my first deer at 14. And i was so elated just to kill one. Then I killed another at 15, then I wanted to kill as many as I could. And I did, then I really wanted a big buck. I killed one when I was 18, then another at 23, then I wanted to kill every big buck in the woods. I killed several,and then one day about 5 years ago, I just came to terms with all of it. I have killed around 200 deer gun/bow and if I never kill another I can live it. Although i still enjoy taking a deer or two every year, it's more about HOW I take those one or two deer instead of what deer they are or how many. Make sense?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
I think it's a normal progression in the life of a hunter.  At least it seems so to me.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »
Perfectly normal. I will take a doe that I'm sure is alone or without fawns. But if you choose to take a doe with fawns, the fawns will most likely survive without mama. Unless they're still nursing. They will or will not survive the winter whether the doe is there or not.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
You are normal, and some!
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
I think you are OK!!!

Bisch

Offline DDawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
That's one of the main reasons I started pursuing Traditional Archery...
Chuck Norris had a Grizzly Bear rug in his room...The Bear wasn't dead,  just to afraid to move...
PBS Associate Member
60" , 45# Holm-Made River Runner

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
I had to take a hunter's ed course several years ago to hunt in a different state (old enough that it's not required for me in MS).  Our instructor had a term for it...seems like there were 4 stages in a hunter's life.  Kill something, kill all you can, kill a trophy...then just appreciate being there.

Not all hunters go through all stages.  I never would shoot a doe with young, but I was really anxious to get that first one.  I've never been one to kill everything that moved.  I'm not a "trophy" hunter, and don't expect I ever will be.  I appreciate being out there, but I am there for a reason-I want to bring home some meat!

I'd say you are normal.  Me on the other hand...never been accused of it.

Chad

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by LBR:
I had to take a hunter's ed course several years ago to hunt in a different state (old enough that it's not required for me in MS).  Our instructor had a term for it...seems like there were 4 stages in a hunter's life.  Kill something, kill all you can, kill a trophy...then just appreciate being there.

Chad
That is pretty cool right there, Chad!!!

Bisch

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »
I was really starting to wonder about myself. Both of my hunting buddies are in their 60's and they are so concerned with killing, it's crazy. The one kills everything that moves. He's an empty nester and has so much meat that he has to give loads of it away at the beginning of the next season so he has room for the new season. I try asking him why and he just doesn't understand why I'm not that way.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
well it may come from the fact that if he's in his 60's, most of his hunting life especially in the early years, deer were hard to come by in a lot of places. so it's kill while you can. at least that's been my experience here. or he just may have an ego to feed...
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
If you are true to yourself, you are normal.
 Over the last few years I've lost my drive to hunt. If I'm out there and I get the opportunity at a shot I will take it. Getting from home to my stand seems to be the hard part for me any more.   I didn't grow up in a hunting family. My Dad was a Police Court judge and would not allow us to have guns(never thought about bows in those days,50's and 60's). A neighbor had guns and boats and we learned from him the proper and safe way to use them and my Dad was good with that. I didn't start hunting until I was about 30 years old and bow hunting shortly after that. I'm 65 now and enjoy being nature, watching the day come in or go out and being an inconspicuous part of that. If I get the opportunity, I'll take it, buck or doe, any legal game.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
I believe that you have evolved into an outdoorsman.  I absolutely love to watch the animals interact with one another.  I also will occasionally make my presence known in a non threatening manner and interact with deer.  Sometimes it works pretty well, sometimes it doesn't.  The longest that I ever was able to keep a deer watching me was about five minutes as I would wiggle my fingers, make funny noises, wave, lip squeak... anything to keep it curious.

We all change.  I now kill to eat but hunt to fill my life with pleasant times.  I might add that killing means the work begins, and sometimes I just don't feel like doing that kind of work.
Brad Lehmann

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 11:49:00 AM »
My best friend here used to be a killing machine.  He'd pass on a doe with young, but that was about it.  I'd joke about him, saying that if MS had a moose season and all you could use to hunt with was a cocklebur and a rubber band, he'd not only find a moose but kill it.  He can also track a flea with a limp through a sand storm...

In the last few years...I'd say 5 or so...he's turned more towards helping other people, mainly kids or adults who never had the opportunity, to get game.  He rather call up a turkey for someone else, or sit with a kid in a blind and help them get a deer than kill it himself.  He'll do all the work to get it done for someone else.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
I really enjoy scouting more than hunting. especially scouting with a hunter that is new.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
Chad, I had to take the same sort of course, even though I've been hunting for 50 years, and realized there is a lot of truth to the "stages" of a hunter's maturation. Now I love teaching new hunters and shooters and my time in the woods is my time to unplug and recharge. I realized one still  morning last fall that I could close my eyes, lean back against the tree I was in and track a doe with two fawns , a young buck and 11 different squirrels on the ground and in the trees in a 100 yard circle around me with nothing but my ears, and that was more satisfying than any shot I've ever taken. Now, if I get a shot at Mr. Wily Coyote, that might be a different story.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »
It is normal. I  realized a number of years ago, that killing everything in the woods just is not the most important part of the season. Like some of the others, the preparation for the upcoming season, along with the anticipation is truly fun. Now I mostly observe wildlife and enjoy the solitude. However, if a coyote comes along, there will be arrows on the fly.
Sam

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
I feel the same. The problem is it then makes me sit back and question whether or not I'm a trophy hunter? I'm not, but watching deer and not shooting deer must make me something, right? I can let all the 18 month old bucks walk by for 4 weeks straight, then suddenly one day my trigger is tripped and I cant wait for the next shot opportunity on one them. Hard to explain why.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
I can let those young bucks walk, but boy those old nanny does can sure temp a man in a weak moment...     :help:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©