3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Am I normal?  (Read 862 times)

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Am I normal?
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
im the same way, even though Im 61 and bowhunted for over 40 years  I just have never felt right killing a doe with a fawn or 2 in tow.. I wont kill a yearling either, not that their is anything wrong or unethical about it, because you may kill that same yearling a year or 2 later.. its just a personal choice. I just don't feel right orphaning a young one and killing one is killing about the dumbest most inexperienced deer in the woods...
but give me a good ole dry doe and she is going in the freezer..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
I have a good friend whos dad is 71 yrs old and he trys to kill every deer he sees plus catch every fish in the lake when they are spawning.
he will sometimes have 500-600 crappie/bluegill in his freezer at any given time plus 4-5 deer and its only him and his wife at home..
 I just kill or catch enough to last me the winter and that's it anymore, used to kill 8-11 deer a year and used them all but with just me and the significant other at home now no need.
 As has been said we all go thru a progression as hunters, I too like to watch the fawns with their mothers.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »
I will go as far as to say I enjoy hunting and seeing animals in their natural habitat and if I don't kill them fine. Sometimes knowing that I could of is enough for me. Not wanting to kill a doe with fawns is a normal reaction to me. The reverse is not normal to me. I don't mean to offend but an honest answer to a question is just that,honest.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »
If killing were the main focus, I would have quit hunting long ago.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
You are weird.   ;)    :p
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 09:23:00 PM »
Your perfectly normal...!  Watching deer "being deer" is about as good as it gets for me.  Like I tell my wife if we were truly hungry I would hunt with a rifle.  We all progress as hunters...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
It's not about being soft, it's about aligning your actions with what is important to you. I am 64, and have been a hunter all of my life. Sometimes I enjoy watching them more than shooting them. There is no right or wrong either way, as long as we are responsible, ethical hunters. I too have come to cherish the hunt and the blessing of being there. You are perfectly normal, and then some.
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
I think it is just gaining maturity as a bow hunter.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 06:38:00 AM »
Hope you are normal,I am 59 and been like you for quite a while
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 07:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by Doc Nock:
Seems one reads more and more of that as hunters age.  

Some of us have hunted way more then we've tagged critters.  So everyone may not respond the same, but only one that matters is YOU!

Do what your heart and gut tells you!    :wavey:  
Once again Doc knocks it out of the park... I am a little older than you (OP) and I have gotten to the point I'd rather watch than kill. Although I do enjoy shooting turkeys, and well I'll let the air out of a good buck.

Funny story, my wife started rescuing baby squirrels a few years back. Our backyard is overrun by squirrels that will eat out of our hands and a few that will climb on us. I have to admit that I once was a squirrel hunting rascal. Nowadays I'd rather watch them and feed them. If I ever started hunting them again I'd be there worst nightmare, but I don't see that happening.  :)

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2015, 09:50:00 AM »
Completely normal.  You only have a couple more years on me but I have more fun sitting with my son in a ground blind and seeing him when deer appear, than killing one myself.  However, I must say that I still get turned inside out with the shakes when deer come into view, whomever is hunting!

While I hunt hard to put a few deer in the freezer each year, six kids and they all love venison, I have definitely reached a place where there is more remorse/respect, not sure of the exact word, for the animals I am blessed to take.

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
Wow, you guys are great. No wonder I feel at home here. I was actually thinking that maybe I wasn't a "real" hunter anymore but the more I read on this post, I'm more normal than I thought. I'd share a fire with any of you.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
Here is the deal...If you kill an animal and have zereo remorse or some guilt, then i question your reasons and soul. Maybe Im wrong for that, but i don't care. To take life is something that we all do, whether you hunt or not, directly or indirectly, we just choose to do it in a way that keeps us connected to harsh realities of the life cycle. I say that because the way we do it, keeps us humble and makes us appreciate life even more.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2015, 11:51:00 PM »
I'm the odd one I guess and I am 64. Enjoy all aspects of the hunt whether I kill or not. But when I go to the woods with a bow and tag, I am going to kill if given the opportunity. I let young deer pass, but no issues shooting a doe with young as I've seen them hook up with another group almost immediately. If I was going to only watch, I would carry a camera only and go in the good weather of the spring, summer and early fall.

Never felt a bit or guilt or remorse about a clean kill - it is my goal. If I did I wouldn't hunt, as life throws enough negatives at you to seek them out.

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2015, 12:43:00 AM »
I get it, but I myself don't feel sorry for killing a deer or any other game.  Especially if I do my part and do it quickly and cleanly.  I'm now 38 and I'm quite sure before season is over I'm going to smack 2 or 3 but not that long ago I would kill as many as possible.  I enjoy my time afield to much in the busy society we live in to cut it short.  Also I think as we grow older we become more proficient at what ever craft we dedicate to, and for a hunter part of that craft is killing.  I have found myself limiting my killing to spend more time hunting.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline bowberry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2015, 02:42:00 AM »
Its 2:am, but I'll give it a shot. Maybe the secret to all of this, bowhunting and maybe the rest of life is;

Being prepared for the idea that our opinions, beliefs, and preferences are likely to change as we mature.

While at the same time remembering and appreciating all the "younger" stages.

I used to resent "older" people who would criticize youngsters for acting like youngsters.

Its hard to think like a 40 year old when your 18.

But it shouldn't be that hard to remember how a 18 year old is supposed to think and act when your 40 or 60 or 80.

So when I'm hunting with my 22 year old, I imagine he probably want to "kill every thing" and that's ok.

Near the end of my grandfathers long hunting career I don't think he wanted to kill anything. But he still loved being at camp with every one, and still like to carry a gun in the woods in November.

So I guess to each his own and may we all get to really enjoy all the stages.

good night, God bless,

Scott,

p.s. What a great topic. You all are greatest group of humans I've ever had the pleasure to get to know.
Black locust selfwood longbow
52#@28"
Great Plains Longbow 55#@28"

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
I would get checked out by a professional if I were you  ;)
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2015, 08:49:00 AM »
Well I myself certainly do have some remorse after i kill an animal. Now Im not holding funeral services and weeping like a baby, but there is a sense of sadness when I kill something, always has been. it last only a few hours because then I am reminded why i did it/do it and that the Lord gave me domain over the animals of the earth. Maybe I am the odd ball, but it won't change me.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
VA - not judging you on any level.
It's not my job.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
I didn't take that way Steve. People have different emotions and deal with them in many ways. I have always had these feelings after I kill an animal, what is odd for one is normal for another...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©