3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Am I normal?  (Read 863 times)

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Am I normal?
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
Certainly not abnormal. I think there's a pervasive appreciation for the life we take when we hunt, that we show by killing as humanely as possible, and full and responsibly using that which we harvest. That said, it's hard enough (for me, anyway) to get in position to take a clean trad shot, including on a doe, that I'd pass one up when it's there. As a farmer/landowner, I really need to have the other folks who have permission to hunt on our property to thin the herd, especially by taking does.
Jim

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
I don't look down my nose at anyone that feels differently than I do. That's what makes us human. I for one do feel something for the animals I kill. I have buddies that do not. They are still my buddies.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
I think it was Aldo Leopold who said " some men fish all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after" . I relate that to traditional bowhunting, although my goal is to kill a deer, it's not the only reason I am in the woods. Its more of an excuse to be in the woods.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
I'm in the same age group as you and I have different feelings now than I had in my 20's and 30's. Remorse isn't one of them though. I hunt ethically, eat everything we kill and pretty much rely on it as a food source.  I had a severe case of the (bigger and more) fever for years that seemed to disappear when I started taking my kids out. I guess it is something with the maturity.  For me it was more showing my kids the right way and I changed in the process. I still bow hunt at least 75 days a year and enjoy the time in the woods. I am selective on bucks, but does don't have a chance young or old if I have a tag in hand and the drag isn't too long.  Just my feelings!
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
Is anybody actually "normal" ?  

You feel a certain way, and as you saw, that feeling or similar feelings are shared by others here ( and elsewhere).  

We add experience throughout our lives and change opinions constantly because of these experiences.

I'd say you are doing fine.
ChuckC

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
I think it was Aldo Leopold who said " some men fish all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after" . I relate that to traditional bowhunting, although my goal is to kill a deer, it's not the only reason I am in the woods. Its more of an excuse to be in the woods.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2015, 10:43:00 PM »
I'm getting to where i have more moments where i could easily kill an animal and find myself letting down with a smile knowing i counted coupe. Raising my own beef has a lot to do with that too.

I've taken a lot of game with a bow and enjoyed every moment. i have no remorse over killing something for food at all, but refuse to kill something just for a trophy.... Bears are a good example.  My wife and i don't like bear meat, and as much as i'd love to have a bear skin rug, i never have been able to shoot a bear just for its skin..... But that's just me.  

Everyone is different, and have different priorities. I've passed up all kinds of shots that just didn't feel right for some reason, and then turned around and shot a small doe the next day because i wanted the venison..... depends on my mood at the time...

BTW..... What is normal anyway? I don't think i fit into that classification myself.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »
Yup!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2015, 03:10:00 PM »
I agree totally with KirK!
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline EWill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »
Some folks, including myself, will say, Normal. Others will say weird.
"It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Romans 9:16 (NIV)

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2015, 02:01:00 AM »
I don't think any of us are "normal"!  
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©