3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your thoughts on the Montana Longbow?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Your thoughts on the Montana Longbow?
« on: September 22, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
Not made up my mind as of yet, but I would like to know what yall think about this bow? could i get a better shooting bow for the same price? even if it is a used LB? what are pros and cons of this bow?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your thoughts on the Montana Longbow?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
I had one and didnt care for it, hand shock, kinda club like i thought, you would be much better off buying a used one of this site or ***********, lots of top of the line bows for sale at very reasonable prices. I wouldnt hesitate to buy any of Bears recurves, but not the longbow.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
I loved the Montana, I felt it was a good boe, not great but good and it could last you your whole shooting career.

With that said the used market is a wonderfull place to get great bows. Also, there are some wonderfull customs for maybe $100 more than the Montana, omega bows and mad dog are just two
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
I tried to get a friend into one, he hated it and got a Belcher. Then he shot one of mine and now he is not so sure about his.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
I had several and was always pleased with how they shot. Nothing fancy and as tough as nails. Just a simple solid hunting bow.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 03:10:00 PM »
I have had three.  I liked them all. I did not experience hand shock or a club like feel as posted above.  The last one had the tips modified and I really liked it.   Of all the bows I have shot, I shot the Montana the best.   Wish I still had one.  I will own another some day. Great bow as and a string upgrade males alot of difference also.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »
Ive been looking into one myself and most people like them. Its about 3 to 1 likes vs dislikes. They seem good to me.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
String upgrade as mentioned above and make sure you play with the brace height until you find what it likes. When I first shot one, the BH was set way too low and it did have a lot of hand shock. After a little tweaking, it settled down and shot very smoothly. Get it set up right and it will perform well for you.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »
Personally, I like the AuSable better. It's a bit more r/d, but still a longbow and it just feels nicer to shoot for me.

I have a left-hander for sale right now as its a bit too much for me at 52#, but I'd gladly trade for a mid-40s LH AuSable.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 03:34:00 PM »
I've sold quite a few Montana's since becoming a Bear dealer 7 years ago and in my opinion it fits a great market niche.  There are some cheaper longbows out there for the "hey, I want to try a longbow" group and they do not shoot nearly as well.  The Montana costs slightly more but the performance is worth the money.  

Bear dramatically improved their entire lineup in 2011 and the Montana benefited from sleek limb tips and an improved grip.  Does it perform like an $800 custom longbow?  Of course not.  Does it throw a decent arrow and take game in the woods?  You bet.  Sometimes I sell a cheap used bow to people just getting started in traditional archery assuming I will see them in a few months so they can buy the bow they really want.  If they come in and buy a Montana I plan on seeing them every once in a while for a replacement string and to hear their hunting stories, complete with pictures.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »
I love the Bear Montana...this is my second season hunting with her and I have harvested 6 deer with it. I havent shot a whole heck of alot of customs...but I have shot quit a few...and I always grab my Montana when its time to go to the woods. I actually have a new custom on the rack right now that gets to stay at home all fall...cause the Montana just shoots where I look!

People complain about the handshock and the grip...but neither of these bother me. Throw the stock string away...order up a string from Allen at tenring...and have at it!!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
I currently shoot a great northern super ghost. it is a dime peice for sure. love it. probably never let it go. would it be a bit of a let down to shoot the Montana as far as quality and handling be the super ghost? I'm thinking it would be based on the quality of the super ghost.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 05:09:00 PM »
I have only two long bows so my experience is very limited. The Montana was my first production long bow (other was a self bow). But I have put several thousand arrows through my Montana and after getting brace height and arrow tuning figured out it shoots well.  
I killed several goats with it here in Hawaii last archery season. It is a very durable bow but there are definitely no bells and whistles.
I do not think you will be disappointed in a Montana. That said,  I have been saving my pennies for a mad dog custom though just to try one on.

Best of luck.
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »
Montana is great if you have not shot the LB's made by some of our sponsors.

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
I think that you need to consider how you shoot and what you would expect to gain.  I always tell people if your form and tempo is better suited to a recurve, there is very little if anything to gain in shooting a longbow.  Now if you want to develop a faster tempo and have the capabilities of taking many varied shots, that is a different thing, but it also requires a fluid adoptable form.  To me that is where a quick pointing and forgiving longbow can shine.  However, saying all of that grand longbow fundamentalism,  my record for shooting quarters tossed across my target stack from about ten or twelve yards was done with an old Super Kodiak, it could have been just a luck thing, I took some incredible hunting shots with that bow as well. However, generally I am better with a Hill style longbow on goofy fast shots and odd position hunting shots, with Robertson style bows coming in a close second.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
I have/had two. I bought one for $200.00 and never shot it.  Sold it for the $200.00 I paid for it to get my money back.  A couple of years later I bought another for $200.00 and still have it.  I bought them from guys that were heading back overseas to help them out.
 I shot the one I still have.  It is a 45#er and shoots real nice.  I the OP lived closer I would let him take it for a spin.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
I have my buddy's Tred Barta bow up for sale very cheap and like brand new. Great starter bow looks just like the Montana it's 50#@28 and 64".

He has to give up on archery because of shoulder problems after 30yrs of shooting them. Asked me to try and find a home for it and another beautiful recurve.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
In the sub $400 price range, the Montana is the best production longbow.  In the $400-600 price range, I have to give the nod to the Martin Savannah.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
well I have not made my mind up yet. I really like my recurve however, I do like the longbow looks and quiet shot. but I have personally not shot one. I know where I can go to shoot one so that will be on my list to do. I know I can't spend the money on a custom bow or even a stock bow from a reputable bowyer brand new. I will have to wait until after Christmas either way. I won't really k ow until I shoot one whether or not it's even for me.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
If you are susceptible to tendon/joint pain (arthritis) I would strongly suggest a three piece hybrid longbow from the used market. It's a good bow for what it is for the money, but a three piece hybrid longbow is just so so much more pleasant to shoot! If you're a very healthy and bulletproof young man, go for it, but me personally I'll always buy a higher end used bow before I'll buy a lower end bow just to have a new one!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©