3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Short/long question  (Read 296 times)

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Short/long question
« on: September 23, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
I have a question about riser length. I recently purchased a new customTallTines with a long riser and short limbs. I love it!
I still have my 58 inch model with short riser and short limbs and I put these limbs on the long riser but it feels like its lighter poundage.
I would think a longer riser would make the same limbs higher poundage, am I wrong?

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short/long question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
Depends on the design, with ILF you lose approximately one pound of draw for each inch the riser is longer, on some bows the limb pad angle is changed to keep the weight the same, so ask your bowyer how he does it.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
My experience with Schafer recurves is if the limbs where made for a short riser say 15" and you put it on a 17" you would loose around 1# per inch. So 50 #limbs for a 15" riser would be 48# on the 17" riser and on a 19" riser from 15" you would have a 46# limb. This is how it works with Schafers and I presume with others as well.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
Hmm well that makes sense with what I'm feeling then. Apparantly I'm not a geometry wiz. I actually like it, puts me at about 58# at my draw so not too bad.

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
Yeah, Bear takedowns generally lose 2-3# going from the short A riser to the longer B riser. And then even more with the long C target riser.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
Longer limbs = longer lever, so it takes less effort .

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »
Michael,

I have also wondered the same thing, how does a longer riser make the poundage less?  

Someone know how to explain this?  Something to do with limb angle?  do the short and long riser have the same angles?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »
The overall bow length is increased with longer limbs or longer riser.  From center of bow to string nock is the length of the "lever".  Wether you increase the limb length or the riser length you will decrease the poundage.  Same as if you decrease the limb length or riser length increases the poundage.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
I could be wrong but I think Bob Morrison figures 2+/- per inch on riser length.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©