3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cold shots?  (Read 501 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
cold shots?
« on: September 23, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
is that referring to the first shot or few shots ? my first 3 arrows rarely go where I want them. this is a huge problem in a hunting situation. what tips do you guys have to overcome this issue?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cold shots?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »
At the very least make sure you stretch out a bit and warm up the muscles. I draw the bow a few times when I get to my blind. I also draw and hold for a bit with an arrow on the string so I can visualize a shot. I pick my spot, draw and anchor..basically the entire shot sequence minus the release and follow through. I do this 3 or 4 times before I sit.It really helps me with that first shot. Last season I went through this exercise regularly and when the late morning came without any action I'd take my first shot with a blunt at whatever caught my eye and I can honestly say every first shot I took would have killed a deer.
A few years ago I carried a small block target in the truck and would actually take a few shots by the light of the headlights to loosen up before I entered the woods. Maybe a little over the top but nothing beats warming up with a few practice shots.
Good Luck

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
In the past, I would take a few shots in the dark at my house before heading out. Then do as Pointer does and draw 3-4 times in my stand.
Wish I had done it Monday.....
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
Cold shot is the first shot and most often the only shot you get in a hunting situation. I know of some people that take one shot a day from different distances and angles. The thought being is to discipline yourself to make the first shot. If you are cold and stiff it can be hard but you have to be able to overcome that. It comes down to form. If you do not have near perfect form etched into your subconscious mind then you are not as ready as you should be.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
In gun terms the "cold bore" shot is the first. Important for snipers since that one has to count and a cold bore behanves different than a hot one, as far as ballistics are concerned. Same for us, different reasons. If you want to improve, keep your bow and 1 arrow handy (provided you can shoot from home or work or something.) Then at odd times, before or after work, before dinner, in between chores, etc. take 1 well aimed shot. Thats all you take. Youre not going to take another. You may not be "warmed up". Pour your entire focus into that shot. Still do your practice rounds and such, but do these single "cold shots" at different times.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »
producer this is what is scaring me. I will draw a few times and hold. will also practice  a one shot as well. I will certainly take a shot or two before I go to the stand. even In the morning.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
I keep a target at camp, and always shoot some before I go the blind/stand. Sometimes it is only 2 or 3 shots, sometimes 20. Just depends on how dead on I am that day.

Bisch

Online Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
Luckily my first shot is always my best and where I want it to be, I have come to realize I will never have a good group or a robin hood, but I can live with it in a hunting situation.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »
I would take that every time

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
I have different results with different bows, My R/D long bow and recurves generally shoot good right outta the gate, but with my hill style its more of a shot in the dark. Usually I drill the center first shot but when I don't its really bad. I think its more of a grip deal for me. (pointability)  I just love the simplicity and smooth draw of my D bow and cant keep from grabbing it. You might try a different bow and see if anything changes for you.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »
Practice for the cold shot, Shoot only one arrow and no more, then do not shoot again for hours.
When you know you have a quiver full of chances it's easy to fail to focus.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 12:33:00 AM »
I'm with Hummer3T on this one.  For some reason when I'm flinging at live targets it focuses my brain somehow (not to say I've never missed).  

When I'm flinging arrows at a bale, I can get complacent.

I'll occasionally use a squirrel as a warm-up while in stand.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 02:43:00 AM »
Cold shots? I'll take two. jack Daniels....
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 07:17:00 AM »
Good Practice is the way to go.  Sage advice above should help.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
All of the above tips are great recommendations. My advice would be to reduce the distance you're shooting. So, if you're having trouble making cold shots at 20 yards, try 15 yards and so on. Find a distance you can place an arrow right where you want, every time. Once you know that distance, consider this your maximum hunting distance.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 08:17:00 AM »
The above advice is all good.

I know exactly what you're talking about buddy.
I've struggled with that too.

I overcome this problem, I just really paid attention to what/how I did shoot those good shots after the warm up.

Then just practiced shooting "the good way".
Really concentrating on doing all the steps.

My biggest problem was incomplete concentration on my 1st shot...and my body not being warmed up.

now... I want to practice without my body warmed up. I ground hunt and plan on sitting there for a few hours before seeing anything. My body will be "tight" and possibly cold from sitting when I make a hunting shot.

So.. I practice a lot of 1 shot sessions.
I just have my target set up and take 1 shot.
Knowing this is the only shot I'm taking helps me concentrate and put the arrow on target.

I know this is all easier said than done...but that's the struggle that makes trad archery rewarding as well.

Good luck!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 08:19:00 AM »
I have a judo point in my quiver. I always take two or three shots before I head to the woods.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 08:33:00 AM »
In the service it was called the "cold bore" shot and it is the most important shot of the day. It has became my most important shot in archery, strive to make that first shot count, it may be the only one you get in a situation. It boils down to intense concentration on that spot and executing the fundamentals of shooting, know your limits and stay within them.
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »
That would be about 13 yards. Im fine with that. I really need to come to full draw a few times before that first shot. And concentrate fully one the vitals. thanks guys for all the help, I can always count on you guys

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
After yesterday, this may be a real challenge for me. I tried a few things at different times of the evening so all shots would be "cold" and sure enough I was either too far left or too low every time. Looks like I will dedicating myself to fixing this issue like I have with all the others since Jan. Just keep at it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©