3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good luck NY bowhunters - 2015  (Read 23183 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good luck NY bowhunters - 2015
« Reply #220 on: October 23, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
Anyone hunting this weekend?

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: October 23, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
I'll be out.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: October 23, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »
I will be going out in the morning.Also have next week off from work.Hope things will start to heat up..................
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: October 23, 2015, 08:47:00 PM »
Saw a super fresh scrape tonight lets hope they stay moving!!
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: October 24, 2015, 04:47:00 AM »
I will be out both mornings Izzy. My sightings have been few and far between. Things change in a minute. Good luck out there .

Offline Firemandivi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: October 24, 2015, 05:09:00 AM »
Heading out in a few minutes to try my luck at Stewart forest for the first time.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: October 24, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
I slept in this morning but when I did get my butt out of bed it was 28 degrees. Some of you guys must have had a cool few hours today as the sun rose........just as it should be. Maybe it will get the deer moving......good luck and pick a spot.   :campfire:    :coffee:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: October 24, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
It was a beautiful morning.  First spot I was going to had cars lined up the road, a few I recognize from last year.  

Second spot is one of my favorite places.. that is Was.... They have mowed all the brush the deer like to hide in when the pressure heats up on public land. All the other stand sites I had scouted last winter are also completely mowed.

went to a place I had turkey hunted before and saw decent sign, set up, it was already light.  saw a few squirrels.  at 9:30 had a father and son come in looking for a  deer the kid shot at the night before.  they said another  guy shot a 140" 10 point in there the weekend before.  I was out of the woods by 10. No deer seen.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: October 24, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
It was a beautiful morning.  First spot I was going to had cars lined up the road, a few I recognize from last year.  

Second spot is one of my favorite places.. that is Was.... They have mowed all the brush the deer like to hide in when the pressure heats up on public land. All the other stand sites I had scouted last winter are also completely mowed.

went to a place I had turkey hunted before and saw decent sign, set up, it was already light.  saw a few squirrels.  at 9:30 had a father and son come in looking for a  deer the kid shot at the night before.  they said another  guy shot a 140" 10 point in there the weekend before.  I was out of the woods by 10. No deer seen.
Charlie, I thought you knew about that clearing. I guess butterflies need a home too. They say all of the locust that they are cutting are invasive so they're trying to restore it to  resemble its original habitat.

Theres still plenty there, just look for whats left as far as cover goes. I see them every morning that I work the Pine Bush zone.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: October 24, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »
Beautiful sun rise this morning. Nothing showed
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: October 24, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
I saw two small bucks crossing the road on the way to my spot this morning I tried to warn the guy coming the other way but he still managed to hit the second one. I was going to pick him up but he got back to his feet and took off no broken legs so maybe he will make it.  While on stand I had a doe with twin button bucks eating acorns around me after a while momma hit my trail coming in and looked up at me she walked away and came back six times trying get me to move but I didn't. She finally gave up and lead the little guys away .
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: October 24, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
Had a good hunt this morning.Got a late start.Got in my groundblind around 7:30.Once settled in and things quieted down,I gave a couple flips of the can call.About ten minutes later a buck appeared about 40 yrds.Watched him looking for the call maker.He started down the trail I was watching and decided to go back the way he came.So I sat there another hour then moved to a new spot.
Was,nt there 5 min. and a doe came running down this ridge,then another a few minutes later.Around 10:30 a couple of does came sneaking down behind me.They never knew I was there.Finally they worked there way towards me.Had a perfect chance at a big doe quartering away at 8yrds but the other one was behind her a ways and looking in my direction.Oh well that's hunting.Also had a chance to draw on a coyote but
he seen me first and took off full bore.The wind changed to the south east so I sneaked out of there.Will try that spot in the morning if the wind is right.Was sprayed down with deer dander and I know it helped.............A Owl was hooting up the next ridge over,Great morning !!!!!!!!
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: October 24, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
Sounds like a good morning Tim. Im off to a baseball game but Ill be wishing you all luck.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: October 24, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »
Excellent day yesterday. Had a doe come in at 5 in the afternoon but the best laid plans can get screwed up if one doesn't pay attention to detail. I was sure I was brushed in perfectly but she managed to see enough of me to be concerned. So she turns back the way she came and moseyed off to where she could keep an eye on me while she ate. I played cat and mouse with her as she did the head bob routine for a few minutes until a nice spike comes along and walks straight in front of me at about 15 yards or so. I want to draw on him but she is still watching me intently so I feel have to wait. Last thing I want is for her to blow out of there as I'm releasing an arrow and I make a bad hit on this guy. This goes on for 5 minutes until he wanders off totally oblivious to how close he came to being tonights dinner. She is still there and now seems somewhat more relaxed finally putting her head behind some brush long enough for me to try and move a couple of steps to my right for a shot. I took one step and her head whipped back to look at me as though she had been poked in the butt with a hot branding iron. I froze mid stride to try and salvage the situation but she trotted off before I could recover. Frustrating for sure but still a far better day than being at the office.
So round one goes to the deer...We rematch on Tuesday

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: October 24, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
Had a great afternoon hunt...I set up where I saw the 8 pt from last weekend. He came through about 6-605 last weekend. So I sat and enjoyed the Catskills deep in thought. 605 came, and I here a deer walking right toward me. I was already set up, and I'm looking through the branches and I see the deer coming like it read the script.   Then I look at its head, it's not the 8, it's a fat doe. She stops broadside at 8 yards with her head down. I passed. I was still excited but I was after that 8. I have 2 doe permits for back home so I let her walk. I just love being that close to deer.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: October 24, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
It sounds like everyone is seeing deer, that's good.

Izzy, I knew about the clearing and burning going on but they had been avoiding my oasis for the last year, I guess it's number was up.

I know the deer are still around, plenty of sign. I just need to regroup and find another place until the brush grows back.

My wife has made plans for 10 am for us, so I will brave the rain and try some town property several miles from my home.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: October 25, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
Wet and windy this morning. Nothing this morning. I'm going to try to get out a few times after work this week before the clocks go back.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: October 25, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »