3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where's the caribou threads?  (Read 813 times)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Where's the caribou threads?
« on: September 24, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »
I know there were a couple of TG'rs going caribou hunting this summer. Anybody heard anything? I'm going to try for caribou next year and could use some pointers!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where's the caribou threads?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 10:55:00 PM »
With the current state of some of our Canadian herds I would be very cautious about even booking a hunt...things are changing fast, and not for the better, for a lot of the herds...I think that may be the reason people are not responding

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 12:36:00 AM »
What's going on with the heards?

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 06:54:00 AM »
Severe decline
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 07:19:00 AM »
Wow! I hope It's just temporary!

Online Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 08:00:00 AM »
Google Caribou decline in Canada and dozens of articles blaming global warming will pop up. I know most on here are probably deniers because politically most here are right wing leaning, but this is another example of how the reality of this science is endangering animals and hunting around the planet. We have lost over 50% of ocean life since 1970, that should scare us all but it doesn't we still allow and actually applaud corporate America. This must change if we value our very lives or the lives of our Grandchildren and future generations let alone our hunting way of life.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
Blaming seems to be in vogue--- as is conservative bashing.

No doubt in the near term, there has been change in seasons and climate...shifts really...where it was warmer it's colder and vice versa.  Can't deny that fact.

The term "Global Warming" suggests something far different and its being promoted as the "catch all".

My question has been and remains, "Given the short term that man's on earth, and shorter term he's recorded weather patterns, are these SHIFTS in weather patterns, cyclical or something more permanent caused by man?"

That question seems to create a firestorm of criticism but not one OUNCE of information beyond there IS a SHIFT in weather patterns...colder, dryer in Southern US and AK/CN having super mild winter weather...

Not what the Sky is falling crowd promotes as "Climate Change..."

Alas, WC, I agree that man has surely fouled his own nest here on Mother Earth, and a serious wake up call is in order, because as the natural world goes, so does man---eventually, as all are interconnected.  Just seems easier to blame something beyond our control, then to make the hard calls that are economic in nature and would create a rift of huge proportions!

Sorry...now help an old phart off his soapbox before he falls and breaks a hip!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
How to protect the future of caribou? Oh global warming caused by human activity is bs in my oppinion! However pollution is a real threat as well as over utilization of resources ect.

Several years ago in the global warming scandal it was well documented that the invironmental movement as we know it has been highjacked by those seeking a one world government...it's the only way they can think of at the moment short of pandemics that will justify global legislation.

...that my friends is a scary thought. In the past when one government went bad there were places to flee to and good guys to fight back. Think about a day when that may not be the case     :eek:

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
excellant post Doc Nock
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to stir the pot. I just wanted to hear the stories about how the guys/gals caribou hunts went. I'm putting in for a draw hunt in Alaska. Maybe the herds are in better shape there. Still going to do it sooner rather than later because I ain't gettin no younger!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
I asked the same question a couple of years ago....I'll see if I can find the thread...but you are getting the same answers I did...
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
Click Here for 5 pages of info..  

That was from 2010....sad....   :(
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 04:32:00 PM »
I think the high prices and past hunters losing their deposits and hunts in Quebec has kept people from booking.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 09:05:00 PM »
A former coworker of mine went Caribou hunting in 2012 either in AK or Canada, can't remember which.  He saved up for a couple years to go.  He killed a nice bull, but what he didn't know was that the locals get first crack at any animals killed.  He got less than 10 lbs of meat from the animal.  Yeah he got the cape and rack, but it was disappointing none the less.  Enough people have that happen and I could see why there wouldn't be a lot of repeat customers.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 06:31:00 AM »
Warchild, we've lost ocean life due to overharvest not climate change. I suspect you are on the young side.  I remember in college hearing how caribou are cyclical- herds are either boom or bust so for me I need more evidence its something more than natural cycles at work for bou and just quitting eating fish will fix the other but try getting that to happen with nearly 8billion people on the planet and apparently no one from Asia taking treaties seriously?
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »
If there is Global Warming and its man made??? Then it is a WORLD problem. I see little value in the U.S. spending billions while India, China, Brazil etc continue... Same ol, same ol U.S.  Carries the load... I went once to Quebec and out of 23 guys, ZERO caribou were sighted and I followed up on guys replacing us, and those that replaced them...same 0. That was 15 yrs ago. My impression was the outfitter just wanted our $'s.... Been to Canada twice, once for bear in B.C., got a nice bear, never got the rug...just lies!!!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 06:20:00 AM »
You dont need to draw a tag in ak to have a great hunt when it comes to boo!  26 herds many are doing well! (Central arctic, porky, 4mile......to name a few)

You also dont have to fork over any meat!!!  I for one would like to know who that outfit is so i know who not to steer people too!  And id consider reporting them to wildlife troopers for it! (If this is truely happening against peoples desires!)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
I know a feller who went to AK with a "loud" weapon just a few weeks ago and saw a good number of bou, not crawling like ants but enough and wound up bringing one back home, unguided.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »
AkDan, my brother and I are putting in for the draw because we want to hunt a specific area that we have some good inside info on. If we don't draw then we will probably look at just going  with an "over the counter tag" in another area. I've heard so many good and bad things that I just basically decided to go with what info I have, based on a reliable source!

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
I went to the North Slope of the Brooks in August.  The weather was rough and the caribou were not there in big numbers.  I saw 2 bulls and got to about 50 yards on both of them.  Here's a pic of one of them.  No arrows launched.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©