3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer Camps  (Read 755 times)

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
Deer Camps
« on: September 25, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
Curious, how many are fortunate enough to have an active annual deer camp with the same group of returning hunters. Here in the upper midwest,its steep in the tradition of deer camps but it is mostly firearm season.

I for one envy those that have this going. I can not imagine a more worthwhile endeavor! Memories that last though the year to keep our everday work-a-day world tolerable.

I only know about the ShrewHaven crew and BTW I look forward to that thread each year, its simple grand. Those fellas are rich,in a way beyond monetary value. A much deeper and meaningful rich! True blue tradition there.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer Camps
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
I have a deer camp in north-central MN.  Just a travel trailer with wood stove so if it is going to be below zero, she gets a little cool in November
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
I have a deer camp in da UP (Michigan), but unfortunately, it is only me and maybe 2-3 deer.

Great fun to be up there though.
CHuckC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »
Me and a great group of friends are starting one this fall. I cant wait as its my first opportunity at such a thing. It will be a recurring event if I have anything to do with it.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
Here's a link to the Shrewhaven annual deer camp from western Upper Peninsula. Lot's of threads over the years here for our annual camp as well, but this gives you a nice video to watch that was on a TV show a year or two ago.

Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
I camp twice a year for deer hunting. On opening weekend of gun season, which I have not missed since 1964 (remember, I have not always been an archer). This is usually just me, with my son sometimes joining me.

The other group meets for a weekend in November, and I have gone every year since the 1970's. Some have come and gone, but others have been coming for many years.
Sam

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 01:35:00 PM »
We have a deer camp that backs up to 8,000 acres of public hunting land. We have 13 acres, with 10 small campers that make up a circle. In the middle of them we have a hut with a wood burning stove and we all gather there after a days hunt to tell stories and relax. For most of us it's only a hour drive from home and we spend every weekend there.the oldest member is 84 and he still climbs tree's and occasionally you will see him up one just standing on a branch ( he ain't right) but very entertaining. I could probably write a book with all of the stories that comes out of that hut. I look forward to camp as much as hunting season itself.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »
I picked up a place in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan last year.  I believe the tradition got a great start last year and will only get better.  It has 450 square foot primitive cabin on it, no running water or electricity, but it has a well with hand pump and an inverter in the wall for a deep cycle battery, wood heat. It was my brother and one nephew last year and we will be joined by another nephew this year.  I love it!  It is only 100 acres, but we have a ball planting food plots, making thickets, hanging stands and running trail cams.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
I have a deer camp of sorts. Mostly it's a general hunting camp. I have a group of 4 guys (my two best buds, my old man, and myself) that go out and hunt for a solid week every October. None of use are land owners so we find suitable public land and set up camp. The only rules are no computers ,cell phones only for calling home and checking in! And everyone has to bring dinner for at least one night. This will be the first year we decided to get serious about deer. Just figured all you non land owners might like to know you can still have a deer camp. We have done this for 6 years now. It is one of the biggest highlights of my year.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
This will be the Ninth Annual Southern Indiana Bowhunt.  All are welcome:   http://sticknstring.webs.com/2015southerninbowhunt.htm

My brother, Dad and one other guy hunt opening weekend of gun every year.  We have a camper adjacent to thousands of acres of National and State Forest as well as Army Corps land around a reservoir.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
We have a hunting camp across from our lease.  To some it may just look like a group of trailers with a pavilion and fire ring but I love that place.  A little piece of heaven.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
You bet. In the glorious wilds of the U.P. I was fortunate enough to become part of this camp that has been going strong for 39yrs. We have lost some of the originals but we carry on the tradition in their honor.

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »
You bet. In the glorious wilds of the U.P. I was fortunate enough to become part of this camp that has been going strong for 39yrs. We have lost some of the originals but we carry on the tradition in their honor.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »
My Brother in-law and his brothers built a little cabin on their mountain in the Catskills. But hey! We're "related" LOL!!! So... I'll "rephrase" that. "Our Family" has a cabin on a mountain in Delaware Co. NY. It gets more use during the gun season, But we've been planning some bowhunting trips for this & the coming years!!!

:campfire:      :archer:      :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
I have 17.6 acres in northern NY. It's next to a few hundred acres of public land. Just a camper but it's hunting camp. My dad's ashes are spread there & he's always with us. My 2 brothers & a friend are always there & we have visitors now & then. We bow hunt, muzzle load & gun hunt, but bow is most looked forward to. I've taken a couple deer & 2 bears there. All with a bow. Love it. Will be there in the morning. Good luck guys.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
I've been a member of a rifle deer camp since the late 70s. I'll go down to the marsh and camp in Oct. for Sika but sponge on some friend's to take a shower at their camp. It's all good.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 07:57:00 PM »
My family has owned 50 acres which backs up to a couple thousand of state land in Southeast Ohio.  Been a gun camp for 30 years, but I'm trying to turn it into a bow camp to this year.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
This will be the thirty-fourth year that Schlaggerman and I get together in northern Wisconsin for whitetails. We started by using his cousin's hunting shack, but Schlaggerman now owns a beautiful log cabin. Many traditional archers have walked through that door over the years. Life is good!

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 08:49:00 AM »
I was a part of one for many many years. It started in '67 and came to an end for various reasons in the late ninties. I sure do miss it. I hunt mostly by myself now, occasionally with my son. Memories are made, but none like the deer camps of years past. If I ever quit this game, the lack of sharing a deer camp would be reason number one.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
Had one for years, but my hunting bud died last winter. Just don't have the heart to go back up there by myself.
Maybe in time.

I have been blessed to be invited to share many camps over the years. Can't beat the energy that comes with sharing a hunt with brothers.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©