3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: POC to Douglas Fir spine?  (Read 423 times)

Offline jleidy

• Trad Bowhunter
POC to Douglas Fir spine?
« on: September 26, 2015, 06:21:00 AM »
Hey Gang,
Currently I am shooting some 3 Rivers Hunter arrows 60-65# cut to 29" with 125gr Eskimos through my 1965 Kodiak 53#@28 and they shoot pretty well. I will be building some arrows this winter using some  Surewood Douglas Fir shafts.
My question is; can I expect the same spine fir shafts to shoot like my cedar shafts? I know that the fir is heavier, and that will likely have some affect. I will order them full length and cut to tune as I did with the cedar shafts.  I also plan on going up to a heavier(190gr.-ish) point. I am trying to avoid the extra cost of a test pack. I am usually not so frugal, but I am also saving up for a new longbow...
Do you think I can get away with ordering 60-65# shafts or should I suck it up and buy the test pack.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Cheers
j
Northern Mist Classic 68" 65#
Northern Mist Baraga 62" 51#
Maddog Prairie Predator 63"  40#
Shawnee Traditions Spirit Flatbow 62" 64#
1965 Bear Kodiak 60" 53#

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: POC to Douglas Fir spine?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 07:15:00 AM »
With heavier point you should consider the next spine group stiffer.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
As far as cedes to doug fir, the spine range should stay the same. Jumping up 65 grains of point weight, you'll probably want to add close to 10 pounds of spine though, to shoot the same length.

If you're willing to flex a little on the 190 points, like i65's or so, 65-70's ought to be mighty close, they may also handle the 190's.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »
Buy the test pack, mark the spines well and use them to save buying dozens of arrows later....  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
As Joe has replied, spine with cedar is spine with fir and 65 grains more point weight will require 10 lbs. more spine in the same length arrow.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
I shoot 60+ lbs with a 160 gr head and my shafts are 80 lb spine. I plan on jumping point weight to 190 and will get stiffer arrows when I do. I shoot a 31 in. shaft. If you buy some shafts and the first few seem a little weak, you can align your nock indicator WITH the grain of the arrow, rather than at 90 degrees to the grain. this will give you a stiffer arrow.

Offline jleidy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 04:22:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice fellas.
Northern Mist Classic 68" 65#
Northern Mist Baraga 62" 51#
Maddog Prairie Predator 63"  40#
Shawnee Traditions Spirit Flatbow 62" 64#
1965 Bear Kodiak 60" 53#

Offline MO Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 04:56:00 AM »
when a shaft is tested for spine, the weight is hung (or pressed) with the grain of the arrow since it's the strongest orientation of the shaft...kind of like an I-beam.

nocks should already be aligned with the grain of the arrow for consistency.  never heard of anyone who would align their nock perpendicular to the grain of the arrow.  not recommended.  don't mess with the orientation of the nock.

70-75 spine should work fine with the 190gn heads.  You may need to fiddle with length a little.  i'd still recommend getting a test kit though.  costs a little extra in the short term, but in the long run, you'll know exactly what you need.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by newhouse114:
If you buy some shafts and the first few seem a little weak, you can align your nock indicator WITH the grain of the arrow, rather than at 90 degrees to the grain. this will give you a stiffer arrow.
Newhouse14,
Can you explain this a bit more.  Seems very counterintuitive, to me.  
homebru

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©