3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: small feathers  (Read 350 times)

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
small feathers
« on: September 26, 2015, 10:11:00 PM »
I have been debating trying some different fletching configurations in the near future. In the past I have used 3, 4" or 5" feathers. After seeing all the positive reports about 4 fletch and some of Dr. Ashby's stuff on little tiny feathers, I have had an itch to try some 2" gateway rayzors or some 3" feathers in a four fletch configuration. I don't really have much reason for the change, I just want to try something else for fun. Wondering if any of you guys are using smaller feathers and what you think of them.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: small feathers
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
Yes I have. I put some 2" 4 fletch on some GT's 35/55 and they shot the same as 3 5". the trick is getting your bow tuned
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 11:03:00 PM »
I shoot 4- 3" on my 2016s, fly beautifully!!!!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 01:50:00 AM »
used to shoot 4 2 in. Razors and they shot great.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 09:32:00 AM »
Do any of you guys notice flight issues in wet conditions or when your form isn't perfect?
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline Snow Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
I have noticed a difference, primarily due to form/posture.  Use of broadheads, alignment of broadheads, arrow tune, all must be carefully managed and small feathers can work beautifully.  For me, 2" blazer/banana cuts in 4 fletch take a few more feet to fully straighten out vs 3" banana, which I attribute to how much helical can be cranked into 2" of quill vs 3 or 4.

HTH
Wanted:  Crow willing to fly into my arrow.  Blind, deaf and dumb preferred.  Mute a bonus.  One wing would be good.  No legs.  With vertigo...

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 11:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I run a pretty tight ship as far as tuning goes but weather and shooting from cover can throw thing off. I just got in some of the 2" rayzors and man do they seem tiny. I'll give them a shot and see how it goes in the back yard.

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
I have been able to get my arrows to shoot well with short feathers but find that I much prefer 5" white feathers for visibility during flight and upon impact. It's good to know exactly where my arrow hits the elk so I can determine the time required before taking up the blood trail. Short feathers are not nearly as easily seen.

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 05:42:00 PM »
I did some chrono tests and shot tests a few years ago with 4x4 and 4x3 also 3x3. The 4 fleth deff corrected faster than the 3 fletch. The 3" and 4" seemed to fly about the same with longer shots going to the 4" also my big magnus ma1 liked the 4" better. As far as speed goes they were all with in 3fps...however I shot some 5x3 and they were considerably slower...
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
Not sure I see a practical reason for going minimal on fletching. I like my arrow to stabilize quickly out of the bow and stay stable as it travels down range.
A well weighted arrow with sufficient fletch can encounter small interferences and still stay on course or at least more closely on course.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline wjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »
would anyone know what type, size, quantity, etc of flights are used by master bowmen in a york round, or what you would use if you could consistently hit a 122cm target face at 100yds?
wjk

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 12:33:00 PM »
I go with larger fletching for the same reasons mentioned by Charlie.  They do reduce velocity somewhat, but I value straight on impact over a few FPS.  However, one advantage of smaller fletching is less interference by crosswinds.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the replays guys. Charlie, I have to say I agree with your thoughts. I think it is safe to say that 3, 5" feathers offers adequate  stability to an arrow in flight. What i'm curious to know is if it is also overkill. I think smaller feathers offer some advantages when it comes to clearance, cross winds, noise, and even thought it may be completely negligible, arrow speed.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©