3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ethical Range: 50 yards  (Read 1736 times)

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ethical Range: 50 yards
« on: September 26, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »
Imagine you are standing behind some subalpine firs overlooking a used wallow 25 yards away.  A group of elk, including a great 5x6 pass by on the edge of the trees and clearing that are right at 50 yards.  They are unaware of your presence, there is no wind, no branches to impede an arrow and the elk are in no hurry; They're stopping and grazing periodically, offering great shot opportunities every few steps along the trail.  This was a very real scenario that happened to me.  I'll save my answer for now, but I'd sure like to know what you folks think.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ethical Range: 50 yards
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
So, the shot is 25 yards, right? If the angle was right (broadside, more or less), and the animals weren't aware of me, I'd take that shot, maybe even out to 30 yds.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 11:06:00 PM »
I'll preface by saying I've never hunted elk. One day I will. I imagine their vitals are larger and those that hunt them are good at that modest range, but I'm not. With those conditions at 20 yards, yes. But my wheel house right now is 15-17. Thats what I shoot most at and until that range becomes a fiat accompli I will restrict myself to that. More to the point, "ethics" are intrinsically linked to individual skill(s) in my opinion.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
If the shot is 25yds, and I'm feeling like I can do it, I'm flinging. Anytime I have been elk hunting, I have extensively practiced out to 30yds, and felt like I was ready at that distance, if the circunstances were right. I have yet to shoot an elk. I have passed shots at deer at under 15yds because something was just not right!

Ethical limits are different for everyone, depending on their own knowledge of their own abilities.

Bisch

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 11:25:00 PM »
I messed up and forgot to say that the shot was 50 yards.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 11:30:00 PM »
Depends on how I felt about the shot at that time.  The two times I've been elk hunting, I practiced out to 50 on an elk target and could make the shot consistently.

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 11:50:00 PM »
Ok, I would have to change my vote then! I voted "Fling" but would not if the shot was 50yds!

I had this happen in New Zealand earlier this year. I put the super sneak on a really big red stag. It took me over 3hrs and I got to 18yds. He was lying down looking away from me with no good shot. I decided to wait till he got up. Well, a while later a couple of fallow does came running thru right in front of him and he jumped up. I was starting to draw when he turned and saw me. He bolted down into a gully, came up the other side, and stopped perfectly broadside. I came to full draw, and all I could think about was how many things could go wrong if I let that arrow go. I let down and watched as he slipped over the top of the ridge! I do not regret that decision, as I know the odds of it working were slim, and the last thing I wanted, was a wounded and unrecovered animal.

Bisch

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 11:58:00 PM »
I read that the shot was 50 yard in the initial post.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 12:20:00 AM »
Ethical or not does not even enter into if but a lot of other things do. Ethical connotes other peoples limitations and opinions. Truth is what are the qualifications of the hunter, attitude of animals, ect and most of all do you feel good about the shot or are you forcing it.

God bless, Steve

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 12:21:00 AM »
Ethical or not does not even enter into if but a lot of other things do. Ethical connotes other peoples limitations and opinions. Truth is what are the qualifications of the hunter, attitude of animals, ect and most of all do you feel good about the shot or are you forcing it.

God bless, Steve

Offline Jeremy Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 12:40:00 AM »
50 yards is too far for me.
Thunderhorn  3 piece Heartstopper 60" 57# @ 28"

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 01:34:00 AM »
Way too far for more but there's no question that the arrow would do its job at that distance.

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 01:38:00 AM »
I just don't practice at that distance. I am confident that if I had two years to practice distances longer than 30 I could do it. But as I sit right  now no way.   Great question. I am sure there are people on here who could cleanly kill that animal and my hat is off to them!
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 01:45:00 AM »
I used to shoot at 70 yards all the time, after awhile 50 yards seems a bit easier.  Range estimation becomes more important at these ranges and a couple feet makes a big difference.

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 03:37:00 AM »
I voted no but that's because I know I can't shoot accurately out to 50. If you can I have no problem with you doing it.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 05:48:00 AM »
At 50 yards to much can happen in the time it takes an arrow from a traditional bow to get there. So no fling here. No wind means the shot will be heard.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 07:36:00 AM »
They'll never hear the arrow coming off my Sunset Hill.  I'd put some wood in the air!

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 07:49:00 AM »
I'd have to pass. If they were at 25, I wouldn't even think about it. 50, yards, no. My rule is that, if I have to think about it, then the answeres No.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 07:49:00 AM »
I kill that elk. No doubt, I take the shot.

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
Situations like this happen to me and my crew ALL the time. I voted no. Has nothing to do with being able to make that shot - most of us could.
Cory<><
<-----------------<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©