3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ethical Range: 50 yards  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ethical Range: 50 yards
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »
I can hit pretty good most of the time at that distant . But me and a big  bull elk I would be  nervous as heck and have a hard time picking a spot at 15 yards.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
I would certainly consider taking that shot if I were in the situation described.  I voted FLING.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
I would have to change my vote too.  I thought the shot was only 25 yards.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2015, 06:04:00 PM »
Mark Baker said it perfectly. The target that some may hit consistently at 50 yards can't take a sudden step for a bite of grass while the arrow is on the way, an elk can.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »
I am with the too many variables crowd. I used to target shoot competitively out to 90 meters.
A target is a totally different world than real life. A million things can happen after your release that have nothing to do with your accuracy.
Too far for me. I'll hit the mushroom that is in a fixed position right behind the elk all day long (or I used to be able to).
But the moving animals can do anything. Even a sneeze can ruin it.
David M. Conroy

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
There's no such thing as a "sure thing" on an animal.  Deer can practically turn inside-out even at close range.  50 yds adds a variable, but if you wait for a perfect, fool-proof shot...you are never going to take a shot.

That said, I've passed on deer that were very close because the situation wasn't right.  For me to take a 50 yd shot, everything would have to feel right...but if it did, I'd take it.

I'd also add that attitudes will vary some between people who get to spend an entire season hunting elk every year and the cost is minimal vs. people who might get to go for a few days once or twice in a lifetime and spend thousands of dollars to make it happen.

Last thought...where do you draw the line?  What's the difference in an "iffy" shot at a squirrel, or rabbit, or carp, or gar, or stingray, or whitetail, or elk?  As far as squirrel, or rabbit, or carp, or gar, or stingrays...I've missed more than I've hit.  I dare say pretty much anyone who's hunted them has.  Should we wait on a more perfect shot on these also?  Why or why not?  Just something to mull over.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
No way Jose. A club we shoot has an elk at exactly 40 yards (its set on a field course with a marker) and we don't do so hot on it so a live elk in the field would be a very poor percentage shot for me. I once passed on a trophy whitetail at 32 yards but I was in a poor position and he was alerted.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »
I shot Field Archery out to 80yds for many yrs and since getting my Covert Hunter have gone back to practicing at longer distances. It's easier for me to be accurate with at longer distances so I take advantage of it.

I'd take the shot at an Elk size animal with large kill zone. Back before compounds during Field Round days 50yds was not such a long shot. It's still not to me. Bout 55 to 60yds they start getting far to me.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
Since we are giving our opinion, I have taken a lot of deer with a bow.  A lot can happen even at 30 and under, to me bowhunting is about getting close. So for me no, ymmv
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2015, 07:57:00 PM »
I took up the Traditional bow to hunt not shoot 50 yards to far for me.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
5,10,15,20,25 I'm in.......50 no way. If that elk takes a step at the shot.....I went from a kill to center punching him in the butt, 50 is way to far for me.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
Too far for me

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2015, 12:16:00 AM »
Yup....even on my best day....too many variables.Risky biz...
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline jleidy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2015, 01:09:00 AM »
I had three different opportunities at three different bulls this season on public land in CO all under 22 yards. Two of them were monsters. I did not even shoot as I never had perfectly clear shots. I would not even consider 50 yards. Everything would have to be absolutely perfect for me to take a 30 yard shot. I did not kill an elk this year but I have no regrets. It was a great season.
Northern Mist Classic 68" 65#
Northern Mist Baraga 62" 51#
Maddog Prairie Predator 63"  40#
Shawnee Traditions Spirit Flatbow 62" 64#
1965 Bear Kodiak 60" 53#

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2015, 01:12:00 AM »
Just laughing at the number of times I have deleted what I have typed before posting.  Carry on.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2015, 07:38:00 AM »
Even if I could consistently hit a "pie Plate" (which I cannot) at 50 yards,  My slow bow could allow for the animal to take several steps before the arrow can reach him, this would be the difference of a  heart shot or back leg hit. I would pass unless I have an Indian Tracker to do the dirty work....

Just kidding, I couldn't bring myself to make an Indian get dirty.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2015, 07:59:00 AM »
Pretty good thread.

If 50 yards is too far for an elk, is it too far for a coyote too?

I once killed a caribou at 35 yards off my knees. I was shooting a 65 pound longbow and cedar arrows. The bull was with a migrating herd and all were walking steadily past me when I took the shot. I remember it clearly. I wished they were closer but with no warning the green light came on in my mind and suddenly the bull had an arrow in the back of his ribs angling forward. I went full auto-instinctive and it happened fast.

I don't advocate longer shots and don't believe I've killed anything beyond 20 yards in a dozen years. To balance things, I can attest to many shots on game by myself and others...shots of 25 yards and under...which did not produce the anticipated results. Some of these were shots under 15 yards. Still, I much prefer a close shot of 10 yards or under if possible. This is what happens when you combine a very large target and 6 yards of shooting space:

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2015, 08:17:00 AM »
50 yards is almost a full second of flight time...even an elk that is just moving naturally without being spooked can move a long ways in one second.

Makes an archers accuracy a moot point.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2015, 08:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Manitoba Stickflinger:
Thats a par 3 for me!
Hahaha, come on Ryan, you would birdie that one every time!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2015, 10:15:00 AM »
In that situation I hope  I'd wait for the better % shot by the water hole,if elk are 50 yards and calm I assume wind is in your favor.The water hole is more than likely where they will meander around to,wait for the shot to happen.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©