3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hope you enjoy this.  (Read 973 times)

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
Hope you enjoy this.
« on: January 24, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
YOU CAN CALL ME FRED

The area was known as the Little Delta region but I was beginning to wonder if it shouldn’t have been called Little Hell. For two days I had walked in a circle due to losing my compass somewhere while trailing the biggest moose I had ever seen, hoping to get a shot. When I discovered my compass was missing I wasn’t too alarmed at first thinking I would have no trouble backtracking to camp but it’s amazing how much this country looks alike when you’re down one compass.
   I always considered myself an above average woodsman but I made the mistake of not taking notice of landmarks as often as I should have. I had enough gear to spend a couple nights out but with evening shadows coming for the second time since I left Forgotten Creek what I would do after that weighed heavily on my mind.
   I had spent the day in a steady drizzle climbing the surrounding hills trying to spot a recognizable landmark. Soaked and tired I spotted a fallen spruce that would help block the wind and give me a place to stretch the tarp I carried to keep the rain off. I gathered the drier branches lying underneath the trunk and using dried needles and smaller twigs I soon had a fire going to dry out.
   I was eating the last of the jerky and trail mix I had taken with me when I left the cabin and was thinking I would need to pick off a grouse or two tomorrow. I was listening for anything that sounded like a bear in the darkness and soon discovered that everything sounds like a big Brownie when you’re out in the wilderness alone.
   I was trying to fight off sleep when I looked up and saw him standing just outside the light given off by my fire.
   “Mind if I share the fire?” he asked.
   “Where in the hell  ...I mean sure be my guest.” I replied.
   “Had any luck?”
   “No for the last two days I have been los..I mean kinda scouting”
   “I see. Good way to get to know the country.” He said while picking up a branch and poking the fire.
   Realizing I was carrying on a conversation with someone whose name I didn’t know I stuck out my hand and said
   “Name’s Glenn good to meet you.”
   “You can call me Fred.” He replied.
   “You know I used to hunt up here with a fella named Glenn” He added almost as an afterthought.
   Still not wanting to confess my predicament I casually asked what he thought the best route to Forgotten Creek was from here. Asking if I had a pencil he drew a rough sketch of where we were and the most direct route to the creek. I felt immense relief having met this stranger who seemed to be as much a part of this area as he was in it.
   I excused myself to step in the bush to relieve myself and as I was coming back I started talking to Fred once I was in earshot of where I had left him.
   “You were asking about the hunting well I saw the biggest….”
   As I came in sight of the campfire he was gone and at first I though maybe he had taken his own trip into the bushes but it was then I noticed the hat he had been wearing lying on the ground with a note stuck in the brim. Picking the paper up I read what he had wrote before leaving.
 "I was noticing your bow you should try a Kodiak." Happy Hunting FB

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hope you enjoy this.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »
Nice story..... As nothing surprises me cause I had an experience like that that as a young child,,different situation. So tell me real or not real?
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »
To answer the post....Yes, I did enjoy it.  VERY much.
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
Real in my heart and mind only.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
Thanks, I enjoyed it quite well. Alan

Offline ethan