3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting from ladder-stands  (Read 670 times)

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting from ladder-stands
« on: September 27, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
I purchased a ladder stand this year and now I find out I cannot take close shots as my lower limb tip contacts the stand when at full draw.

The problem is that the harness attaches directly to a strap that goes around the tree above the stand. There is insufficient room to "lean out" far enough to make a close shot (when standing OR sitting).

Anyone else experience this and find a remedy?

BTW: my bow is only 56".

Thanks!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Re: Shooting from ladder-stands
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »
I hate ladder stands! There is just too much stand to get in the way of my shooting.

Bisch

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 05:52:00 PM »
Lone Wolf makes a ladder that functions just like a normal hang-on.

I've noticed the same issue with my ladders though.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 06:04:00 PM »
I make most of my ladder stands but not all of them. I make em big and comfortable, but not to tall. 10-12 feet.  A big platform with plenty of foot space ( I prefer to stand when I shoot) and room to put a comfy stool. No hand rails or anything to get in the way. Hardest thing is to find that perfect tree!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 10:32:00 PM »
I tend to sit a little sideways with my right butt cheek on the seat and my left side facing out. I am right handed, so this keeps the bow a little farther from the stand's foot platform. On closed shots, it is some times necessary to cant the bow considerably to clear.

The best elevated stand I ever had was one I made with pressure treated lumber. It was massive and had a four foot square platform with a seat on it. We called it the tower. I don't know how long it would have lasted, because bad weather blew down the tree it was attached to. On private land, I like permanent stands.
Sam

Offline KSshrewman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »
The older we get we have transitioned almost exclusively to ladders and replaced our hang ons.  Typical is 8-10'.  Just feel safer climbing in and out now.  Limbs typically not a prob but we both shoot hybrid LB's 56".
Shrew Classic Hunter
Javaman Elkheart
Javaman Helms Deep
Gill Snakey Self
Ben Pearson Colt
Swiftriver

PSALM 5:3  At Daybreak Lord,You Hear My Voice

Member "Kansas Coffey Club"

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
I stand as much as possible in a stand, but Ive never had trouble hitting the stand when sitting either.
 What are you considering a close shot, straight down, if that's the case i wiuld have to wait till they were a few yds away.
 I think you should look for a longer tether to hook to the tree,
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by kevsuperg:
I stand as much as possible in a stand, but Ive never had trouble hitting the stand when sitting either.
 What are you considering a close shot, straight down, if that's the case i wiuld have to wait till they were a few yds away.
 I think you should look for a longer tether to hook to the tree,
I purchased a large carabiner and have a strap that is about 12" long with loops on each end. I plan to try that today. That should effectively lengthen my tether.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions.
WVBA Member

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
The cheaper non deluxe stands are usually easier to shoot a longbow out of. Just got to stay away from the stands with all the crazy arm rests and such. I love hunting out of ladder stands.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
Never had a problem shooting out of my ladder stands with my 66" long bows. I do not use the side rails or the 3rd ladder section, preferring 10 ft for ease of set-up and mobility. I always shoot from a seated position. Bend from the waist ad you should be AOK.   :campfire:

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »
I have been using ladder stands for 10/15 years and honestly I don't have any problems unless the deer is directly underneath me then I just wait until it moves to where I can get a shot.

Although I don't use the harness type safety belts, I still use the older style and wear them up under my arms. So with the harness you might not have the same range of motion??

Like Fritz said I use Rivers Edge Bow hunting stands somewhere between $49 and $69 dollars.
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
Im right handed and found if I set my left knee on the seat and stand on my right, it me stand closer tothe outside of the stand and it does better at not hitting lower limb.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
I tend to sit a little sideways with my right butt cheek on the seat and my left side facing out. I am right handed, so this keeps the bow a little farther from the stand's foot platform. On closed shots, it is some times necessary to cant the bow considerably to clear.

same here, except lefty.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
I would try to figure out that harness first as the "leaning" aspect is critical for close shots, and have also found that exaggerated canting helps in clearance and shot placement as well.

With that being said I think a ladder stand is wonderful on the correct tree. I primarily use millennium m150 lock-ons because they are so dang comfortable, but also really like an Ameristep warrior 15' ladder stand.

The warrior is very easy to assemble and set up with one person. It is very simple, but with a strap seat still fairly comfortable.

I think the the key to ladder stands and longbows is using one without all the bells and whistles (armrests and such) and placing them on a tree with adequate back drop. To many people place them on barren pine or oak trees where they stand out like a sore thumb. I like a tree with lots of limbs and ground cover and cut out just enough room for the platform and head room.

And hey... Thats what the Wensel Bros sit in!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »
Sam mentioned it above. You need to cant the bow nearly sideways to do the really close shots.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
WVBA Member

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
sorry for the triple post. Stupid smart phone!
WVBA Member

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
Canting the bow is no help with my particular set up. I finally got the right tether length but will just wait on a bit longer shot.

I didn't say in the original post, but I shot over a nice 8 point last Saturday morning because my lower limb hit the stand.

I'm good to go now.

Thanks!
WVBA Member

Offline redshedbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
Practice a revers cant for the super close shots.  Knowing all the options you migh encounter and which to pass on is very important.
Here are a few things about me:

I enjoy Hunting, fishing, raising goats, biking and kayaking. Love living life with my wife and 4 kids out in the country.

Here are my bows and such:
~ Black Widow Bows 66" PLX Longbow 47.5@31"  161fps with 600gr arrow
~ St. Patrick Lake Longbows (SwiftStyk ~ 64" (50#@31" = 161fps 600gr arrow)
~ Hitman Traditional Stykbows #1 (Recurve) (63" 52lb @31") ~

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »
I have always hunted from cheap basic ladder stands.  I have never had one issue whatsoever.
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©