3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sasquatch --- The wait begins ....  (Read 582 times)

Offline wcdurand

• Trad Bowhunter
Sasquatch --- The wait begins ....
« on: September 28, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
Well I have ordered myself a Sasquatch LB takedown from Kirk. Now the six month wait begins.. Strange how time sometimes move so slowly and other times it disappear in a wink .....    :biglaugh:

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sasquatch --- The wait begins ....
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 08:37:00 AM »
congrats, he makes one heck of a bow.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »
You are gonna love this!!! Worth every minute of that wait.

God bless, Steve

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
It'll be there before you know it!!

Good choice!

Bisch

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »
So tell us how she'll be built or do we have to wait for pics?

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 05:33:00 PM »
I am waiting on his ss ilf limbs can't wait. Heck of a nice guy to talk too. Grats
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline wcdurand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 02:40:00 AM »
Thank you, 46Lb@27", Mac Ebony riser, bloodwood accent lines  Ipe beam, bow lenght 62" actionboo core. pistolgrip. antler overlays.with overlays on limbs at handle end on back!!! Satin finish.    :biglaugh:   I know it's going to be great! Thought long about the weight of the bow!! Should be reasonably close t0 50#@28" but my draw lenght is 26 3/4 "

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 03:08:00 AM »
Congrats on your soon to be new favorite bow! The Sasquatch LB is a great shooting bow in every aspect! You'll be more than happy with it I'm sure. There are a few inherent 'problems' with it though... If you're like me, you'll have a tendancy to shoot high until you get used to that flatter trajectory. And because it draws and shoots so smoothly, you might not think to play with the brace height much. After you get used to the feel of the bow, do yourself a favor, and run thru the brace height range! Mine really likes a 7.75" brace, but mine is also a one off with a 16" riser for a 58" bow. Truly balanced and timed limbs make it difficult to find that sweet spot, because it shoots better than most bows at both the high and low end of the brace range. One other thing, don't 'try' to shoot the Sasquatch the way you think it should be shot, rather let the bow tell you how it likes to be held...
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline wcdurand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 03:42:00 AM »
Phoenixarcher, thank you!! But now I am even more anxious to have it! If it draws so smoothly, should I maybe up the weight by a few pounds???

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »
If this is going to be a hunting bow, I wouldn't be afraid to add a couple pounds, but if it is going to be just a target/fun bow, you'll be more than pleased with the performance at the weight you selected. My 47# limbs shoot like most 51-52# bows, but feel like 44-45#. Your 62" bow will likely feel even sweeter.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
Congrats on getting on Kirk's build list. He makes wonderful bows that perform well and easy to work with. I have had 3 of his models built. I am also awaiting a set of SS ILF limbs.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline wcdurand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 07:34:00 AM »
Well as Bisch said, time passes in a wink. Halfway to expected date. I hope I moved somewhat nearer to the top of Kirk's list!!!!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 09:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pheonixarcher:
If this is going to be a hunting bow, I wouldn't be afraid to add a couple pounds, but if it is going to be just a target/fun bow, you'll be more than pleased with the performance at the weight you selected. My 47# limbs shoot like most 51-52# bows, but feel like 44-45#. Your 62" bow will likely feel even sweeter.
I appreciate what is said here, but would counter slightly...why encumber yourself with extra weight, if the bow design is more efficient?  I dropped weight to 47# at my 28.5" draw and had to go UP in spine to tune arrows to the SAS LB.

Up to then, I shot near 50# bows (due to age issues) and went from .400 to .340 shafts to harness the increased efficiency of the limb design.

I had a blast working thru wood choices and options as my time came up.  One thing: Trust the artist!  I made suggestions, some Kirk rejected, thought on and later liked and incorporated...other stuff, I just gave him a free hand and wasn't disappointed.  He pre-visualizes better then many artist friends I know!

I would also add that Kirk has shared the time he invests in each bow before it leaves the shop, to find the brace sweet spot...I could do no better... so I'd wring it out at his recommendation before I tried to go commando and find a "better" spot...

No offense meant to Phoenix, just my $.02.  I did mess with it after I shot it a bit and never found an improved location for the brace... the right string helps harness all that additional efficiency... saw big differences in strings!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline wcdurand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »
Doc Nock, that is a stunning bow!!!!!!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »
Thanks, Williem,

I told Kirk what I like, "plenty of figure and grain" and he started throwing out options.  the Belly ramp caps hide the bubinga I-beam and then Kirk kicked his creativity into over-drive and made several other suggestions which I liked them all.

I had him put the bubinga thin lams on one side of the limb and the bocote on the other side...he thought it would look silly, then studying on it, he came back that he could see it as quite stunning... It is!

It may be the last bow this old phart ever owns!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 05:32:00 AM »
I love mine. Phoenix makes a point about shooting it too. I shot high for a long time and this was with heavier arrows. Kirk has helped me with tuning adjustments  throughout the process. They are smooth and very quiet.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 08:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Doc Nock:
Thanks, Williem,

I told Kirk what I like, "plenty of figure and grain" and he started throwing out options.  the Belly ramp caps hide the bubinga I-beam and then Kirk kicked his creativity into over-drive and made several other suggestions which I liked them all.

I had him put the bubinga thin lams on one side of the limb and the bocote on the other side...he thought it would look silly, then studying on it, he came back that he could see it as quite stunning... It is!

It may be the last bow this old phart ever owns!
Ha! No bow looks silly to it's owner. Yours is a stunner!
David M. Conroy

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »
Thanks, David...

Dad was a cabinet maker and taught me to appreciate the grain in good wood...so that was my drive in having this one built and Kirk outdid himself!

My goal wasn't a pretty bow, but one that fit my grip and shooting style and would give me performance for ethical energy as I aged and dropped draw weight.

Kirk nailed the custom grip, nailed the looks and the performance is stunning.

Speaking of shooting high...a guy from my general area contacted me to shoot my SAS...he was in the market.  He brought his bow, a popular model and we shot both our bows... finally after he was shooting well and dialed in with his on my range, I told him to stay put on the firing line, pulled his arrows, handed him my bow and told him to shoot HIS arrows from  MY bow with the same hold.

He's more of a target style shooter and used the same "gap" and shot mine, his arrows and printed a similar size group, but it grouped 6" higher.  He had to do that over and over and then his jaw dropped in reality that the SAS was lesser draw but throwing HIS arrows faster and printing tight but higher then HIS fav bow!

He now owns a Flatliner I believe... but a Bigfoot, none the less... made me smile remembering that when I read about "printing higher" with the BF bows!  :)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Online goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016, 10:17:00 AM »
As I get older, it seems that time goes by quicker with each year......  maybe I need to order more bows!!!!! You might be on to something here!   :dunno:  

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by goingoldskool:
As I get older, it seems that time goes by quicker with each year......  maybe I need to order more bows!!!!! You might be on to something here!    :dunno:    

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,

Rodd
HOw's the saying go?  Life, like a roll of t.p, goes faster as you near the end...?! :0

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©