3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead question  (Read 170 times)

Offline The-Talon

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead question
« on: September 28, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »
So this year I'm gonna try some trailmaker  broadheads I found at a local shop. They were pretty dang expensive and I didn't even notice when I had one out and put it on the scale they are 150 grains ! I normally shoot 125. Now my question is do you think the 25 grains will make a massive difference ? I put 2 arrow nocks on the scale and they were 20 grains.. The difference seems so tiny.. So I guess my question is .. Does it really make a huuuuge difference with the difference of 25 grains ?
Mother Nature is my religion. Tooth fang and claw.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 10:47:00 PM »
Makes some difference.  Whether you consider it huge may depend on the spine tolerance of your setup and release.  Your arrows will behave like they are of slightly lower spine.

Some setups are very forgiving and some less so.  The weight as far as trajectory will be less of an issue.  (My opinion).
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline The-Talon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
I'll make sure to throw one of the broadheads at a hay bail a few dozen times and see how it flies. I don't plan on taking any 30 yard shots so I can't imagine it will be that big of a difference inside 20 yards but you guys are the experts and I wanna hear whatcha think.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
Like posted above it depends on how borderline your spine is I doubt it will make much difference after you sharpen them you're going to take off another 10 grains likely now you're down to 15 grain difference and you would have to be very borderline on your spine for that to make any difference whatsoever
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline The-Talon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
Or maybe a straw bail is a bad idea.. Hope it doesent get suck

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 01:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by The-Talon:
I'll make sure to throw one of the broadheads at a hay bail a few dozen times and see how it flies. I don't plan on taking any 30 yard shots so I can't imagine it will be that big of a difference inside 20 yards but you guys are the experts and I wanna hear whatcha think.
If it makes a difference in spine, the yardage you shoot doesn't mean beans, out of tune arrow fish tailing to the target no matter what the distance quickly sheds energy and if it's actually still fishtailing when it hits the target and hasn't stabilized yet will result in very very poor penetration!!!!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
You gotta shoot the system with your broadheads, even if they weigh the exact same.  They are not field points and they MIGHT fly differently.  You won't know that by asking anybody else, but rather only by shooting them.  End of story.
ChuckC

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
Pretty much, everything was already said in the above posts! Anytime you make any change, ao try anything new, you should always practice with it to see for yourself if there is any difference.

Bisch

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
Yup I'll ditto the above. I've definately had flight problems going 125 to 150. And I wouldn't shoot them into a hay bale. They are twisting when they go in. Then you'll try to pull it out straight. It will get stuck. Might consider pushing all the way through

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry about them getting stuck in a straw bale. I'd worry about what's behind it when the arrow passes thru.   :scared:
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©