3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: questions on older bear bows. need openions  (Read 311 times)

Offline DirtyD

• Trad Bowhunter
questions on older bear bows. need openions
« on: September 29, 2015, 06:52:00 AM »
Hi.. im zack... im new to the site but not to archery. i was looking into getting back into archery. ive been using compound in the past years, but traded it recently ( about 1 year ago) for a flintlock rifle... well anyways.. i have came across a few bear bows and im not sure how they shoot or if they are priced good. the wife said i can only pick one.. so what one would you puck for hunting large game of elk sized and smaller. here is the list

* bear black panther #55 52" $75 ish??  Needs no work

* bear kodiak special #55 64" $75 ish?? Needs refinish, new leather handle, new leather strike plate, new string. And I don't seam to see the bear medallion or the spot for one  

* 1949 Bear Grizzly Recurve  70# 62" $70 ish?? Needs refinish, new leather handle, new string.

i can shot and hold back a #60 recurve well.. so the draw weights are not an issue for me i have a 28 1/2" draw and like shooting total arrow weight around 12 grains per pound of bow. love the heavy arrows. IF YOU HAD TO PICK ONE... WHAT WOULD IT BE?????

Offline arrowslinger22

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: questions on older bear bows. need openions
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 07:34:00 AM »
The Kodiak Special would be my choice of those 3, based on your draw length.
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize that we cannot eat money

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 07:45:00 AM »
Even though I am partial to Grizzlies, that one is a high pound bow and I am not sure what year they used aluminum laminations but if that was one of the years , I would not use it.

I would also opt for the K special also would try refinishing it myself.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline DirtyD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
With the kodiak special, should I be concerned with this spotting in the bend of the recurve??? Its on both sides. Looks loke a bunch of paint droplets, it in the finish...Would put a picture, just don't know how yet..

Offline DirtyD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »
Y not use the ones with the aluminium?? From what little I've read, it should have it for that year and that they like to take on a set after being strung or used... is there a safety issue with them? If so what is it and I will prob remove it from my list..

and is there a reason people don't like the black panther? Are they bad shooters?  From what little I found about them they are basically cheap knockoffs of the Kodiak magnum...

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
The aluminium laminated bows have a history of breaking and are considered unsafe by many.  The reason people are not recommending the black panther is that at 52", it is short for your draw and will be more difficult to shoot than a longer bow.  I have a 28 1/2" draw also and will not own a recurve bow of less than 60 inches.  I would also not recommend someone start trad archery on a bow that short.

Spots in the finish of vintage bows are fairly common and don't affect performance.  Make sure the spots are only in the finish. Pictures would help.

The pricing is consistent with what I have seen for bows of that type and described condition.

My last recommendation is to consider shopping around for a bow in the 45 - 50 lb range to use until you have your form and accuracy developed.  It is a lot easier to trade up in weight than to trade down.  And you will develop form and accuracy a lot faster with a bow you can shoot for hours without fatigue.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
I vote for the Kodiak as well for the above reasons. I have the same draw length as you and I can handle the 52" length of my KMag fine after putting the longer length bows down and getting used to it, so if your heart is set on a short bow I wouldn't be afraid of the Panther. This is my second year deer hunting with a recurve and both years now as the time has come I have just felt better about taking the 58" Grizzly out in the woods - YMMV. Now next spring for turkey's out of a blind - that KMag may well get used!      ;)    That Grizzly would concern me for the above reasons. When they get that old I'm not real familiar with when the aluminum ones were made but I would certainly stay away from them.
SWA Spyder

Offline DirtyD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
I've kinda always had a ''stiffy'' for the horn bows...love the curves.. that might be y the panther appeals to me.. but I'm not picky... would settle for either or both.. but the boss lady said I can only have one..soo... yea...

Offline Jim Brennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 10:03:00 AM »
I would look on Big Jims website and you might find a bow that needs nothing for a little more than 75. He has a sale on all used bows right now
62" toelke whip 55#@28" 56" thunderchild 49#@28 54" shrew classic hunter 50#@28

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
I'd go with the Panther, myself..... Needs no work, shoot it right away.   :thumbsup:  

As for the length, I wouldn't be too concerned. I had a 55# Kodiak Magnum that was one of my favorite & best shooting bows!!! Unless you're drawing 30"-31" stacking really shouldn't be a problem.   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline DirtyD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
The #55 K special I'm looking at looks exactly like the one on big Jim's site. His is listed as a #45 099R Bear Kodiak..the color and everything looks exactly the same, except it a lighter draw.. its in about the same condition... it has the same type of spotting on the limb tips as the one I'm looking at... is that spotting hurting anything, or would it come off if I refinish it?? The #55 I'm looking at is an XH545.. is that the serial #??? Any one know what year model it is??
And thanks for all the advice so far.. it is greatly appreciated ...
.......Well. Just did some research and the k special appears to be a 1956 model... guess I answered my own question..

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 07:30:00 PM »
Zack welcome to the forum. Are you limited to under $100 for a bow?
  If not there are a number of new Bear Bows at suppliers such as 3-Rivers that shoot really well.
  Of those listed I'd probably choose the Black Panther as I'm not abe to refinish a bow & have it look good.
Good luck
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
The Kodiak sounds good. The Bow Doc will make it look almost new and you still will not have too much in it.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »
Id go with the K special too. I like the stability of longer bows. A grip, rest, string and plate are easy jobs and 3 Rivers has all you need for cheap. You can save refinishing it for later so long as its just cosmetic and still water proof.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline DirtyD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
Can't get the link to work, so if you go to e**y and put in  Bear Kodiak Special Recurve Bow-55#-64"-XH545.    It should show up. I plan on getting this one.

Offline DirtyD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »
Do y'all know if this bow could handle fast flight string, or would I have to put horn our  phenolic over lays on the tips?

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 04:18:00 AM »
NO!!!!!!!!!! Period.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline DirtyD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 04:25:00 AM »
Got it.... then the b50 is what I would need... OK...

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 07:43:00 AM »
Theres a really nice kodiak hunter 60", 45# in the classifieds right now that is a sweet deal. I saw the one on ****, its a nice classic, but for a little more money you can get a whole lot more bow and a whole lot more reliability.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
Most older bows would benefit from a new rest.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy one that needed a rest.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©