3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rock Climbing Harness  (Read 151 times)

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
Rock Climbing Harness
« on: September 29, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
I'm switching to a rock climbing harness for my stand hunting.  Last year and this past Sunday I just felt like my HSS would not allow me to stand straight which after a few hours hunched over my back is not happy with me!  I'm sure it is a fit issue as I know guys as tall and definitely taller than me that do not have these problems.

Either way, I'm switching.  I have a local REI store close to work so I should be able to get over there this week.  I will ask them a lot of questions but I want to run this by any of you that have made the switch.  I have 5-6 carabiners, the HSS rope style tree attachment with prussic knot, and some blue diamond climbing rope (3/8" or 11mm, can't exactly remember which right now).  

What more do I need?  I typically hunt from lone wolf with 3 climbing sticks and have always used the lineman's rope to set the stick and stand.  I know the rock climbing harnesses do not have the side loops for that so would I just connect both to the front, or is there a modification that can be done?

I watched a youtube video of a guy using one stick and his rock climbing harness to climb up, pretty slick, and he seemed to just keep the rope around the tree cinched to the tree and attached to his tether just as if he were in the stand and then once the stick was set he just loosened it up, slid it up, and kept going.

Sorry for the long post just trying to figure this out before November gets here and I'm doing all day sits.

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rock Climbing Harness
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=146025;p=2#000022

Check this thread out, some good info.

I hunt from a LW too and even tho its in the thread above I'll post this pix.

I use one of my LW stick straps as my linemans belt. In the right of the pic you see how I have to looped thru the harness. To the left of the pix is a biner that is situated on the harness in the same place as the looped strap. I hook to that biner as I climb, situated like that your hooked up with those two contact points are pulling from the side of the harness. Once in the stand I take out my strap/prussic and get strapped in and put the LW belt in my pocket till its time to get down and reverse the process. I hope that makes sense...
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rock Climbing Harness
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the link and the pic.  Yes, that makes sense.  Never thought of using one of the straps as a lineman's belt!! Great idea.

Thanks again

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©