3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer smell ???  (Read 529 times)

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
Deer smell ???
« on: October 13, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
Has any one every been hunting down wind of a thicket and thought you smelled the deer.   But never seen the deer?   Let me get some responses and then I will explain why I asked this question.
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline snapper1d

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer smell ???
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
Well I                                                                                   have never done that.But one time I killed an 8 piont and he fell in his tracks.I started to go to him and I could really smell him.His front and back legs were yellow brown and wet with urine.It was terrible.I had to hang him up and wash him with a water hose.I ground up the meat and tried to eat it but it was horrible.I had a friend in the next town and we were talking about it.He says "I can eat it,I can eat anything".Well he got the meat and went home and cooked up some.That next week he said he had to throw it out because he couldnt eat it.The meat really didnt smell bad at all but it had a horrible taste.Thats one I will never forget.

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »
I smell deer Quite often that is If they don't smell me first. Snapper your not supposed to eat the tarsal gland! Mike
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline Full Quiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »
I have smelled a buck before I have seen it,(while feild dressing him I could still smell him), & since then beleive that I have smelled deer I did not see. Usually during little to no wind type conditions.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »
Yes several times I have smelled a rutting buck when conditions have been just right,but never has allowed me to get the upper hand on one.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 06:58:00 AM »
Never smelled a whitetail but the sambar over here have a musky smell like elk and you can smell them before you see them.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 07:22:00 AM »
Have done it a number of times over the years out in the Badlands, but the air is very clear out there (unless you are downwind of an oil well)...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 07:41:00 AM »
Absolutely! I think most of us do, but either aren't paying attention or don't know what they are smelling or a combination of both.

It is a sense that we can train.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »
Rutting bucks smell like old goats. Once you smell one you will always know it when you do. Other times I  have smelled deer I am pretty cetain that I move them out of bedding areas shortly before I arrived. Even though rutting bucks smell bad it is a smell I love to encounter..action is just around the  corner...sometimes.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
Charlie is right. Doesn`t have to be a rut stinking buck either.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
I've smelled many deer which I have killed, long before I actually found them during the tracking job. Some give off a real strong order during the mad dash. On a couple, the wind was just right and I actually smelled them when I got down from the tree.
N/A

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »
I've been smelling deer this year but I don't remember having done so in the past.  Maybe it has to do with the weirdly warm weather we've enjoyed most of this hunting season here.  When it's colder, I think my nose is usually running too much to smell much of anything.

Offline Stu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
I'm with Bill C. on this. I smell deer a lot. All deer give off some odor when passing. Rutting bucks have a certain & very distinct smell, and the more into the rut, the stronger the odor. A doe in heat is so obvious that only those with broken snifters would miss it. A wounded deer has a certain smell, depending upon the hit. A scared deer emits a different kind of smell when it takes off. My friends think I'm crazy, but I can smell deer and have tracked wounded deer this way. Bears have an entirely different "musky" (not dirty) smell. All of these odors are wafted in the breeze to those on the ground, not in trees, so I'm mainly talking about ground hunting or "sniffing".  

Where I hunt, rutting areas, when I start smelling does in heat, it is "time".

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »
Usually if I smell deer there is a fresh scrape around.

-Charlie

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
if the deer come in to my area the right way I can smell them. Sometimes if the wind is right and I'm walking in/out I can get a wiff as well.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
when its nice and cold I will wind them from time to time.  they have a very distinct odor heh.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
I have often smelled deer, both bucks and does.

Sometimes I'll just be sitting in my stand and, whew!... it's like someone just opened a bottle of doe urine right under my nose! Don't always see them but there's no doubt that they are closeby.

-Sharps
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
Yes...  It happens.  I find it especially in the marshy areas that are damp, and late in the day when the air cools and sinks (thermals).

Elk are worse by far though, they are easy to smell.  I have had one situation with elk where I was sitting at a crossing, my nose went up and couldn't believe how strong the smell was, yet...no elk.  Then, maybe 15 seconds later, there are the antler tips coming my way above the brush.
ChuckC

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »
When I was young I had incredible eyesight, hearing and sense of smell. My dad would hold up a brood frame of bees in front of me and say"where is the queen" when he wanted to remover her to re-queen. I could always pick her out in the mass of dancing bees. My other senses were equally acute.

Fifty years down the road my eyesight is dependent on trifocals, years of power plant work has muted my hearing but my sense of smell is still the same as when I was young.

I can smell a rabbit in it's bed, but never could pick up the smell of a quail. I can smell almost any deer when it walks up wind and conditions are right.

I walk a long exercise trail several times a week and can often smell other people on the trail at more than 100yds away. I can tell what kind of fabric softener they use and if they fried bacon for breakfast. Stale tobacco smoke on the clothes of other walkers is nauseating because of my acute sense of smell and is detectable at very long distances.

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
I smell deer all the time. I can also smell there beds and where they've peed. My hunting partner always says I'm nuts but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©