3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alaskan Solitude  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
Alaskan Solitude
« on: September 30, 2015, 05:24:00 PM »
After the D-beaver float plane lifted off from the lake it dropped me at, I was alone for the next 15 days. This time I brought a raft with oars to get across the mile long lake, and better reach moose habitat. There were multiple such lakes in the area that I would hike to that also provide extensive shore lines providing huge advantage for packing out meat. Soon after pitching my tent, I looked up at the towering hill the rose 1000 feet above me. This would be my lookout!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alaskan Solitude
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
:campfire:  
Here we go!!!! Bring it!!

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »
I was hoping this one was coming soon!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 05:31:00 PM »
been waiting for this
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 05:32:00 PM »
After blowing up my raft, I cruised around the lake and caught northern pike. There were other small bluffs I could reach at the north east portion of the lake and further increase my visual and calling range. I arrived at this hunting spot, and scouted two days before the start of the moose season. Right away I realized that there were not as many moose in this area as I had hoped for. It was quite simple- from my 1200 foot perch I could see 360 degrees, had good visibility down through the spruce and open timber, and incredible range to my calling.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 05:42:00 PM »

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
On the third day of the season I saw my first bull. He was about a half mile away and responded to my calling from the saddle of the lookout hill. I heard his response grunts to my calling, and his antler raking was also audible to me. While continuing my cow and bull calls, he started coming in my direction. He locked up at about 600 yards. It took me the rest of the morning to coax him to the base of my hill.  While trying to keep tabs on the bull and gain more visibility, I climbed from the saddle up to the peak. The bull went silent.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
After waiting and glassing most of the afternoon, the bull’s sporadic grunts held my attention for hours. Around 4 PM, I could hear increased grunting and antler raking from the spruce thickets below. Knowing the bull was up from his nap, I increased my calling frequency.  Realizing he was climbing up toward me, I dropped down off from the peak to the saddle to meet him half way.  At 200 yards I could see he was at least 50” wide, but had weak palms. He could be legal, but his antlers and body mass told of an older bull with poor quality antlers that I could not definitive say was wide enough. I decided at that point not to shoot the bull, but hoped to call him near for good videography.  He eventually climbed up to me, where I had positioned myself for a good cross wind. He passed my position at less than 20 yards. After passing me, I grunted him back to look for me. He responded with grunts of his own and antler raking. I could see this old bull had many tumors on the skin of his side and hind quarters. With his ears laid back and obvious frustration building, for safety reasons, I remained silent. He eventually found my form standing 15 yards away, and his active tongue told of efforts to catch my scent.  He became very nervous and turned to slip away. Only after retreating slowly for 30 yards, did he break into a run and trotted down the opposite hillside and disappeared.

Online HOGLESS2

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »
Mike hope this turns out as good as Bryan and Bryan's story. Keep it coming, love this stuff!!!

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
During the next five days I saw only one more small bull and two cows. After calling from the lookout late in the evening, I returned first thing in the morning in hopes of catching the attention of any bulls that may have committed to my calling from the previous day. It worked. I watched another bull leave his smaller bull companion and come to my calling. He ran at times only to stop and rake his antlers through willow brush. This commotion spooked a caribou bull which I had been watching. The caribou got out of the way of this rut crazed beast as he freight-trained up toward me. This bull had a long hanging dewlap, indicating a younger bull. His antlers had more tines than the older bull I called in earlier, but his antler width were still only around 50 inches that left me less than confident about legality. As he approached, I had to once again release the grip on my bow and focus the video camera on this would be prey. I again had to hold back as this bull also passed at close range. He was magnificent as his muscles bulged and defined the boarders of his shoulder blade. I focused momentarily on the low flat spot just behind the shoulder where my arrow should have struck. Seeing this animal through the camera’s viewfinder was not natural, and several times I found myself pulling away and taking in the sight with my own eyes. Once the bull passed me uphill, the wind caught his nose and my scent carried on it put him in full alert. After looking at me briefly, he turned and ran away, tracing the escape route taken by the older bull a few days earlier.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »
These two close encounters defined my hunt. Experiencing rain nearly everyday and very few other moose sightings, I left my Alaskan home with a feeling of effort given, and rewards received other than fresh meat.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 06:04:00 PM »
Some of many rewards from a very rainy two weeks where I only saw one sunset.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »
Mike, I would take s hunt like that any day!! Thanks for sharing
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 06:19:00 PM »
Two weeks in Alaska with bow in hand.  Sounds like a good way to spend time.  Great pictures.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
I had my solitude, and felt fortunate to many other moose hunters who got stranded in the bush from flooded rivers during one of the most rainy Septembers on record. I also felt a blessing that my trip went as planned, the terain was very huntable and meat packable, but just low moose numbers near me hampered my taking of a moose. After I reached a remote village on a stop during my return out after my hunt, I learned of a float plane that crash the day before I arrived only 300 yards from where I landed (killing three).

I could see many miles from my lookout, and even the river valley where I later learned sevral big moose were taken by rifle hunters. Alaska is a tough place. The rewards can be immence, but all can be taken away in an intance. I am better for my experience in Alaskan's solitude.   Mike

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »
great story mike. always a pleassure to read
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
Great thread! Congrats on your hunt and encounters!

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
Great story and pics.  Very successful hunt in my eyes.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©