3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Boots  (Read 350 times)

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Boots
« on: September 30, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
My problem is my feet.  Has been all my life.  When I volunteered for the Army, the doctors asked me if I had any trouble with my arches. I said no, but marching in basic training was hell for about two weeks until I got used to it.

It has been particularly bad this spring, with plantar facitis.  It is one of the main reasons I did not go elk hunting this year. I missed the mountains badly.  I think now with my Miendl boots I could possibly go again next year.

But for hunting white tails in MN and ND, I want a pair of high rubber boots.  I have a pair of Mucks and with arch supports they are bearable. But I would like something that is a better more stable fit.

Is there anyone out there who has similar problem feet who has found  a good boot?

Thanks, Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Boots
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »
Russells,

Made to your feet measurements w/ a lot of different options.

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
I'm really impressed with Keen  boots.... very comfortable and seem to wear good. ...

Good luck and God bless,
Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 02:15:00 AM »
I can't help you in your search, but my feet hurt all the time as well. My work boots are Keen's, and while they do seem pretty durable, they are terrible for foot problems. I've only them a few months, and have inserts in them, but they still suck. I know a lot of people that like them though. Plus, I don't think they make a full rubber hunting boot.

I'll be watching this one...
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 06:41:00 AM »
I wear boots every day for work. I went through the plantar facitis thing too. I got rid of mine and here is what I found worked best. Wearing no shoes whenever possible, stretching my feet when ever I had a minute, and swapping over to minimalist shoes/boots. Check out Bellville boots. Your mileage may vary.

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
I have had plantar facitis...my feet are wide with a high instep and generally do not fit into shoes/boots very well. The first thing you need to do is get a custom orthotic insert. Next, go to a store lie REI and have someone who has worked there a long time and knows a thing or two about boots to match one to your foot shape and what you're gonna use it for. You'll spend a good deal of money and it will be worth every cent. you may or may not be able to get a rubber boot that works for you. I will say that for me Red WInd work boots have been the best I have used. Maybe the Irish Setter rubber boots would be good (Irish Setter is Red Wing's hunting boot brand).

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 09:59:00 AM »
I backpack a lot, and my feet used to kill me with plantar facitis, until I thought I was going to have to give up backpacking.  Two things seem to have solved the problem: get a boot with plenty of room in the toe box for my toes to spread out, and good arch supports so my plantar fascia doesn't get stretched out.  Jake's remedy of wearing no shoes when possible would be similar to getting boots with plenty of room in the toe box, I think.

My latest pair of boots are Meindls, which you evidently have also, which work very well. The Meindl's also seem to have soft padding behind my heel, which helps with a bone spur I have back there.  I have also had success with Keens, but they rarely seem to have a really high quality all leather boot.  They recently came out with one, the Liberty Ridge, which I thought would be good, but has a hard spot behind the heel that aggravated my bone spur, so now is relegated to yard work and the archery range.

Sorry, but don't have any recommendations on rubber boots.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
I have heard that a lot of people swear by the super feet insoles.  They make some that are more rigid than gel like insoles and offer a lot of support. A good insole and a wide boot should get your feet back on the ground.

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
A good boot will do wonders. I have a really bad right foot. After I destroyed my ankle my foot kinda deformed. I've been unable to walk. However I got an Orthopedic insert for my shoes and that has done wonders for me. I have horrible Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot. I'm sure it'd help you.
I would go see an Orthopedist and talk to them about your options. You may be better off that way.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline pukwana

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
I have bad arches too, along with  severe pronation and have been using "foot levelers" in my KEEN work boots with great results.  I also use the "Birkenstock" cork soles in my Irish Setter hunting boots with great results as well.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the responses.
Gary

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
Great thread!
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
I had plantar facitis. The podiatrist prescribed orthotic inserts. Bingo. Inside 2 weeks problem was all gone. You may have to buy the boots a 1/2 size larger, so get the insoles before you buy the boots. Mine are not soft, gel type inserts. They are a hard, molded plastic and I can walk or stand all day with them in and my only problem is my aging knees   :)  

They are not cheap if made properly. A mold is made of your foot, the desired changes noted. A positive form is then milled on a CNC mill and the plastic hot molded to fit. Mine are nearly 10 years old and have not changed their shape or effectiveness. Your health insurance will probably pay for them.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
Gary, the problem isn't your boots it's your feet and specifically your arches (or lack thereof).  Even if you do find a boot that seems to give you some relief from your plantar fasciitis, your body weight will quickly break the boot down to start to take the shape of your foot and the problem WILL return.  As previously stated, the solution is a good orthotic.  Then you can buy any boots that you like and put the orthotic in them.  Custom made orthotics can be very expensive ($500+) and some can be a little bulky.  In a former life, I owned two GOOD FEET stores in Baltimore and plantar fasciitis was the number one complaint we saw.  We specialized in orthotics.  I still have some inventory from my stores and may be able to help you out.  If interested, give me a call at 443-553-7844. Jeff

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 12:26:00 PM »
I would contact Lathrop and Sons in Illinois. They are traditional bowhunter pediotrists who makes and sell custom insoles along with a boatload of hunting boot systems from rubber boots to mountaineering boots. They can help you.

As an aside, I along with half a dozen of my friends have had BAD experiences with Russel boots. If somebody gave me a pair I would throw them in the garbage. Everybody is different but in every case, well broke in boots, when put to the test, were miserable failures.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jakeemt:
I wear boots every day for work. I went through the plantar facitis thing too. I got rid of mine and here is what I found worked best. Wearing no shoes whenever possible, stretching my feet when ever I had a minute, and swapping over to minimalist shoes/boots. Check out Bellville boots. Your mileage may vary.
Gotta agree here.  With me, I had sore feet until I read a book that suggested trying to go bare foot as much as possible.  Allows you to build  strength and support in your arches instead of relying on your shoes to support you.  My feet haven;'t bothered me since (except when stepping on sharp objects    :scared: )
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline woodyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by overbo:
Russells,

Made to your feet measurements w/ a lot of different options.
I didn't know that Russells were still in business, that's good to know. I had a pair many years ago and were the best I ever had, not cheap but well made for sure.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 12:57:00 PM »
I like Super Feet insoles with my Keen shoes.  I stay away from boots unless I really need the support.  If you are doing it for scent control, there are other ways to go about that.  And I totally agree with the barefoot recommendations.    Get out of your shoes whenever you can.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
I have high arches and have had PF trouble and the Lacrosse Grange non-insulated rubber boots worked well for me (they're probably older than a lot of folks on this site, too) The only Mucks I've owned are the Arctic Pros (1000 gr. thinsulate). They're extremely warm but a bit stiff at the ankle and my heel would rub if I didn't wear multiple sock layers.  That may have been more of a fit (too big) thing, as I thought I'd need two pair, but they're so warm you really don't.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the responses.
Gary

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©