3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bare fingers....  (Read 615 times)

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bare fingers....
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
I can usually do about 10 to 15 shots at the pro shop trying out a new bow. Been doing that for months before deciding on my bow.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
Everyone should practice even if it's just a few shots bare finger just incase.  You never know.  I lost my glove in Alberta once and didn't have a spar.  Dug out some duct tape I keep in my pack wrapped around a piece of dowel rod and put a few wraps on my string and I was good to go. Killed a nice bear too. Now I practice draw my 60# all the time bare finger just in case.  

Compound guys should do it even more. In BC a guy in camp missed out on killing a really nice bear because he couldn't get his release on fast enough.  Bear popped out in front of him 3 times on the trail 15 yards out. Easy shot for me but that dumb release.  Finally he just grabbed the outfitters rifle the 4th time the bear stuck his nose out to have a look. Nice gun killed bear.
lll

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Michael Arnette:
With a 64# bow and skinny still strings? Call me a sissy but youch!
I am with Michael on this boat!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
as heavy as I need it to be, GOSH!
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
I have since 1988. #4 nylon serving most of the time ,no double serving, and bows up to 60lbs.

I've profesionally built over 20 thousand strings and welded for over 25 years. My hands are tired, but still shoot bare fingered.

If it causes nerve damage, I should quity day job!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
I used to shoot my compound bare finger, but I padded the string with athletic tape.  Over time I built up calluses on the tips of my fingers. When I switched over to trad I worried it would slow the string to much, and started with a tab.  Two years ago I had a buck run in before I had a chance to put my tab on, took the shot without a tab.  Didn't notice any pain with the adrenaline and all, but I don't think I could do it as much as I like to shoot.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Mecredy:
as heavy as I need it to be, GOSH!
Sorry if I hurt your feelings
But is not same shoot bow 40# and 65# with bare fingers
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
You didn't hurt my feelings, that was my Napoleon Dynamite imitation

with all the things I put my fingers through as a professional bowyer, shade tree mechanic and guitar player, shooting a bow of any weight without a tab or glove is the least of my worries.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
Ok, So I have to admit. First time I read this I thought it said Bear fingers not Bare fingers....

Tab only for me. I tried bare fingers. Can't do it. I can with my 35# but no way with my #57. I could probably do one shot if I really needed to.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 07:42:00 PM »
I used to practice and hunt without any protection for my fingers, 60#. but I lost the feeling in my finger tips once from some nerve damage, im sure. I kinda like being able to feel my finger tips. so I wear protection, it just aint worth doing any permanent damage. no sense chancing it!
             it took a couple months for the feeling to come back to normal.

Offline Ken Carter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
Has anybody tried the "no glove finger savers" that slip over the string? They've been around a long time but I've never heard how well they work.

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
I do.

Kris

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
ooops duplicate. I'll edit.  

I especially shoot bare fingers for hunting but for target you can't do it for extended shooting.

Kris

Offline Beau J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »
I have callouses built up and practice regularly with bare fingers just in case I forget or lose my tab (which has happened a few times) My biggest problem is my accuracy suffers without the consistent feel/release that I get with my tab. The only time it's painful is when my hands are really cold.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
I wouldn't want the extra weight of the "no glove" on my string, although we use them in the classes we put on for kids, as it is a hassle to find gloves/tabs that fit their fingers, which come in all sizes.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »
Yup, triple served, bare finger, normally around 65 lb.  Been shooting this way for going on 35 years, no nerve damage yet!  

R

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »
I don't wear a glove or tab hunting so I usually shoot the first dozen or so shots bare finger, then put the glove on even though I don't feel any kind of abnormal discomfort.  I'm a steel worker by trade so maybe my fingers are a bit more calloused than others.

Oh yeah, current bow is 45# but my last hunting rig was 62#.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
Several years ago..... I climbed to the top of the mountain, while hunting with my Brother TradGanger, adkmountainken. Got to the top, and realized I had left my glove in the truck!!! Well, I wasn't gonna climb that mountain twice! Hunted the day without it... Didn't see any Deer. Probly could have made the shot if I had to, but I don't make a habit of shooting without one.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2015, 03:15:00 PM »
I use the rubber no gloves on my strings. been doing that as long as I can remember.Not hard to shoot with cloth gloves on either when its cold out.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2015, 03:36:00 PM »
Isn't it a lot easier to stick a couple of extra tabs or gloves in with your gear? I shoot tabs and always have 3 to 4 extras on me at all times when hunting.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©