3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opening Day, Season Over  (Read 374 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Opening Day, Season Over
« on: October 02, 2015, 12:23:00 AM »
Well, it's over for my Samick Journey.  Shot a nice fat doe this evening.

Next I plan to use my "fake" Pierce Choctaw recurve, then if I score I'll move on to a longbow or selfbow.

My first opening day deer (best hunting weather I can remember on opening day too), and I think this was my first recurve deer (the rest have been longbow or selfbow).  Definitely my first with an endless string.  Lots of firsts!

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opening Day, Season Over
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 12:26:00 AM »
Awesome!!! Well Done Chad!!!     :clapper:

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 02:35:00 AM »
Well done Chad
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 03:16:00 AM »
Way to go Chad !!! Congrats

Bill

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 05:00:00 AM »
Great job...congrats!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 06:40:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 06:58:00 AM »
Now Chad you know us coastal boys have to wait 2 more weeks. Why did you have to go and post this for?   :knothead:

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »
Good one, Chad.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 07:13:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  Continous loop, too!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 07:26:00 AM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »
Congrats on your early success.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 08:02:00 AM »
Thanks!  Forgot to mention, it was also my first from a homemade ground blind--built just two days prior, and my first opening-day deer.

Got access to a new place just a few minutes from my house.  My buddy and I didn't find out for sure we would get to hunt it until last month, and hadn't had time to properly scout it.  Knew there were deer, just had no idea of their pattern.  We took a gamble on this spot--I figured at worst I would see something and get an idea of where to set up next.

Saw a total of 12 deer.  One obvious fawn, maybe one or two more that were this year's deer but no spots, and the rest mature does.  Definitely need to thin the does on this place.

I normally don't hunt opening day because it's usually 80-90 degrees--you just sit and sweat and swat bugs.  Yesterday was unusually cool with a strong North wind...perfect for this spot.

I was down to the last few minutes of shooting time.  Almost left, because Thursday night is guy night at my brother's shop--a group of us rotate cooking--but I decided I might as well hang in there for another 10 minutes.  I'd already seen 9 deer(one individual and one herd of 8), well out of range.  I had decided I needed build a blind in a different spot.  Then there were at least 3 came out not far from me, across a fence (land owner owns the land on both sides) and moving towards me.  I'm thinking there was no way it was going to be that easy...but it was.

She turned broadside for an instant, but didn't give me a chance for a shot.  Great thing about the homemade blind is I was well hidden.  Bad thing is that works both ways...only had certain spots to shoot through.  She turned and was walking away.  Hard quartering away shot, went in just in front of the back leg, broadhead stuck out behind the far shoulder.  Didn't get a pass-through, probably because I went through gut and a full stomach...but also destroyed the liver and center-punched the off-side lung.  She ran maybe 100 yds and appeared to have died running full bore.

I knew I hit her from the sound, and thought it was a good hit, but I lost sight of her quick due to the blind and she crested a small rise.  She bleated once while running, the other deer ran off (but none blew, so they didn't know I was there--they ran because she ran), but I didn't hear her crash.  I sat there for a while studying where I shot her and where I last saw her, then I went to the shop and ate supper.

Hung out for a while, then recruited my best friend to help me find her.  I believe this guy could track a flea with a limp through a sand storm.  I've personally seen him track a wounded rabbit to it's hole...then drag the dead rabbit out with a forked stick.

I went to the blind, pointed out where I shot her with my flashlight, and in a minute he'd found blood.  I went to where he was and he pointed it out...good grief!  It was just a speck, and I got nervous.  He went a ways and found another speck...then lost it.  I remembered the deer had turned and pointed it out to him...and he found another speck.  I stood on the spot while he crested the rise into the waist high broom sage, scanning for more blood.  After a little bit he hollered for me to come help look for blood...then I really got nervous.  I went up the little hill, going slow and looking the whole time.  Got to the top and couldn't see his light.  Hollered for him, he said "You going to help me or what?".  He turned his light back on and was dragging her up from the other side of the rise.  Whew...

Gut had plugged the entrance wound, and for some reason the exit hole was high (entrance was low).  She'd literally bled out in a few seconds, but almost all the blood was on the inside.

The Magnus Stinger did a fantastic job--big entrance and exit wounds.  Only made it about 100 yds running full bore.  I was shooting a Samick Journey bow, 52@31.  Using Trophy Ridge Wrath arrows, 400 spine (don't think they are made anymore--had these for a while), string was a 20 strand endless BCY-X--electric blue and fluorescent green with matching rubber "cat whisker" silencers.  Wearing an ASAT leafy camo suit over shorts and a t-shirt in a homemade blind on the ground, sitting in a folding chair.  Shot was maybe 10 yds.  Weather was cool and very windy, wind from the North.  Shot time was last shooting light.  Guessed her to weigh 110-120 lbs, 2-4 years old.  Typical mature MS doe.  going to be some good eating!

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 08:49:00 AM »
Way to go, Chad!

Congrats!

Bisch

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
Congratulations Chad
habujohn

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »
Chad, congrats man!  This was my first kill thread to read of yours!  :)  

I need to see some more of them!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »
Way to go Chad!!!!     :saywhat:
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 01:37:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »
I have no idea how to post pics.  Daniel, first kill I've had in a long time, unless you count bow fishing.  My deer season pretty much got cancelled for a few years.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but I did miss it.

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 05:32:00 PM »
Congrats! Way to go!  :clapper:

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 08:07:00 PM »
Great story Chad and a great ending.   :clapper: