3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great northern quiver question  (Read 182 times)

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
Great northern quiver question
« on: October 02, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »
Does anyone modify the rubber inside the great northern quiver in order to make broadheads not get stuck in there.  I'm worried the rubber is going to dull my blades faster than foam and the arrows, once securely in place are harder to grab out of the quiver because the rubber pinches the heads. Thoughts? Mods?

Thanks,

Kevin
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Re: Great northern quiver question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »
I like it! I use a broadhead to cut the initial holes in the foam, then resharpen that head, and my broadhead arrows always go back in in the same place.

I have used GN quivers for years, and never had any issues with my BH's not being sharp enough.

Bisch

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
No.

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
Thanks Bisch!

I will make some bigger slits in the rubber.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
Solid advice from Bisch!

I once removed the rubber from the foam, then quickly regretted it. I feel that the rubber extends the life of the hood foam, plus it helps to keep my arrows in place when traversing and stalking through the thicker vegetation.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I like it! I use a broadhead to cut the initial holes in the foam, then resharpen that head, and my broadhead arrows always go back in in the same place.

I have used GN quivers for years, and never had any issues with my BH's not being sharp enough.

Bisch

Yep. exactly what I did.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 02:34:00 PM »
I'm with the others - the neoprene on the foam drastically extends the life of the foam.  Once your slot is cut, I've never noticed it dulling my heads.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
Never noticed my heads being dulled by mine....

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 07:03:00 PM »
The rubber keeps them in tight.  I like that.

Offline lefty4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
What Bisch said
I had a really good group going... until I shot the second arrow.

My best bows are the ones someone else didn't want.

"Be careful of something that's just what you want it to be."  Waylon Jennings

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »
double post!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
My rubber pretty much fell out on its own. I left it off and don't miss it. The grippers are plenty to keep my arrows secure.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
I found the foam that comes with the GN quiver noisey when removing a broadhead tipped arrow,  and replace it with a high density foam the local kayak shop.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 07:00:00 AM »
When I start a new GN I heat on a  candle a broadhead with the same style I plan to hunt with, then I make the cuts where the tipped arrows will be. Easy on and off same position and no dull blades.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by cacciatore:
When I start a new GN I heat on a  candle a broadhead with the same style I plan to hunt with, then I make the cuts where the tipped arrows will be. Easy on and off same position and no dull blades.
X2...thats exactly what I do. Heat a broadhead up that I plan to use till its really hot...and it melts the perfect form into the foam. Then the new heads will slide in perfectly.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline lefty4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »
I use a sharp broadhead covered with some Vaseline to make the slit in the rubber. You will want to pay attention to the fletching position/orientation to minimze/eliminate the feather rustle between adjacent arrows at the shot. You can do this by shooting with field points in your arrows and taking a picture after you found that sweet spot where there is no noise. I am assuming that like me you position all your broadheads in the same orientation on the arrow.
I always put some Vaseline on the rubber gripper slots as well to eliminate a possible squeak when you remove the arrow. Murphy's law was originally "named" by a bowhunter. This naming probably occured in cold weather with a few expletives.
I also put a dab of Vaseline on the bottom side of the rubber gripper so I have some along and can quiet a newly developed squeak. A little dab 'll do ya!

As a note, I have been using the SAME GNBCO strap-on quiver on my bows since 1999. I have not had to replace the foam, gripper, or the straps.
I had a really good group going... until I shot the second arrow.

My best bows are the ones someone else didn't want.

"Be careful of something that's just what you want it to be."  Waylon Jennings

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by 9 Shocks:
Does anyone modify the rubber inside the great northern quiver in order to make broadheads not get stuck in there.  I'm worried the rubber is going to dull my blades faster than foam and the arrows, once securely in place are harder to grab out of the quiver because the rubber pinches the heads. Thoughts? Mods?

Thanks,

Kevin
Funny, I saw this post a few days ago and did not pay much attention. I made my slits in the foam in my new quiver and even thought of your post.

This AM I went to remove a BH tipped arrow and boy was she determined to stay at rest in the quiver. Like a dummy I carefully placed my thumb to hold the rubber quiver insert out of the way. Well a gentle nudge turned into a tug. Next thing I know that sharp A$$ BH found it's way to the bone in my right thumb. I just got through stopping the bleeding and got my thumb all bandaged up. Now time to add insult to injury, I had one hell of a blood trail to clean up.

I will be modifying the BH slits to make them larger so my BH's don't get stuck anymore. If that don't work I will be replacing the rubber quiver insert with one made from a Yoga block foam, it works the best anyways.

Be careful!!!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
No.
Same here, best quiver out there. Been using them exclusively since they came out with the original four arrow strap-on in the mid 90's. Never had an issue dulling broadheads. If you're worried about the rubber, they make an all foam insert without the rubber for their Sidekick Quiver.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©