3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "My 2015 Hawaii Hunting Season" portrayed with random images  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "My 2015 Hawaii Hunting Season" portrayed with random images
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2015, 11:51:00 PM »
Wow!!! I love the view from where I'm sitting but there is no doubt that that is some rugged terrain. This flat-lander got tired from looking at some of those pictures, lol.

I could not help but notice in one picture it looked like you could have poked that big Axis with an arrow. You put one heck of a stalk on him. Are you allowed to hunt Axis and Mouflon?

I always enjoy your post my friend. When y'all make it to Texas I would love to take y'all on a hunt. The view will be much different here, not necessarily better. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2015, 12:09:00 AM »
Sounds great Riley!

Ben,
Some of those images are from the island of Lanai where there are free range Axis and Mouflon. Axis season is during Feb and Mouflon is during July. This year I went up for Axis. I crawled and got into range a bunch of times. A few of those times the winds switched on me, twice I ran out of daylight, a couple times they caught my movement, one buck jumped my string and a few times I had no shooting lane. I had more than my share of opportunities, I just didn't make it happen.

Thank you very much for the invite! I really appreciate it and the same goes for you if you make it to Oahu during goat season.

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
I can't believe Hoyt would not take care of getting you some replacements?  I have a spare set of Medium 55# limbs if they would help you.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2015, 12:57:00 PM »
Thank you Mark! I really appreciate the offer!

That may be a little to light given my short draw length, but I'll keep you posted!

Mahalo!
Ryan

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
Ryan,

Beautiful photos.  thanks for taking the time and effort to post them.....it's what makes this site great.

Paul
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
I like the idea of the leaves on the back of your hat. I too can't shoot with a cap on and turn my backwards when shooting as well. The leaves will add in some breakup...

Going to borrow that idea mate!

Great pics and well done for getting out there and doing it.

Ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »
Thank you Guys!

Go for it Al! I'm glad you like the idea. I feel the break up of my head helps a little. Plus it's so easy to use.

Here are a couple other angles.

Here's what it looks like unweathered.

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »
Cheers for that mate, construction will start asap! Love the shirt also mate!
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
Anytime Al!
Best of luck on all your future hunting adventures!!!

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
Great stuff right there Ryan. Really appreciate you letting us see your world through pictures!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2015, 03:53:00 AM »
Super cool stuff.   :thumbsup:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2015, 10:02:00 AM »
Ryan, nice, thank you.  I often wear the hat from my ghillie outfit.  I think I find that having something that changes the outline / profile of a human head and shoulders (the parts animals see peeking above the brush) makes a very big difference.  My ghillie hat is of boonie construct ( not much brim in front tho) and has a maybe 10" drape around the back, complete with hangie downie's.
ChuckC

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
DUDE!! I hope you have a high pressure job and have to deal with nerve racking commuter traffic, and have 3 little kids under 5, because if you don't you are having WAY too much fun
   :bigsmyl:  

Thanks for taking us along
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
Thank you guys!

I have a couple ghillie hats too Chuck! I think I might have a similar one as mine drapes in the back as well. The only problem is that I overheat easily and on hot days I need to leave it at home.

LOL Tad! Not all that glitters is gold.      ;)   Here's an image of my daily drive. It's only a little over 20 miles to work, but on average it takes me 1.5 hours. Yesterday it took me over 2 hours just to get to work. We're tied on kids, but mines are older. Fortunately for me, my wife hunts, so she understands the madness, I mean passion...       :D    

Aloha Gang!

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
I feel better now

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2015, 12:33:00 PM »
Tad,

In all honesty, it's pretty bad on the island that I live on. We're actually looking at moving to the mainland, somewhere in the country.

The median house prices are slowly reaching $600,000 on Oahu. Just to make a living I have a job that doesn't suit me well, it's a desk job, in the heart of town. My office is a couple blocks from here.

In addition, the public land that we hunt on is heavily poached and unregulated by the local DLNR.

We just try our best to make the most of what we have, but in terms of the outdoors, there's not much left on the island that we live on.

If you ever decide to visit the Islands, Oahu shouldn't be the first choice.    ;)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2015, 05:32:00 AM »
Great pictures Ryan, looks like good hunting. Sad to say that a lot of places on the mainland are rapidly changing to be as bad or close to the traffic jam pic you've posted. My town alone has had a population increase of at least 150,000 in the last 20 years despite what the town government says.

Hat looks great, its got a Creature From The Black Lagoon look to it.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »
People seldom see the city side of Hawaii. I wouldn't blame you for wanting to escape the congestion.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
Thank you Izzy! It's getting crowded everywhere. We're really hoping to find open country one day!

Yeah Charlie, many are shocked when they arrive in Honolulu.    :eek:

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
Hey Ryan, My wife and I honeymooned on HI in '84, Maui was nice, but my favorite, we didn't see all the islands, was the big island. Looked like it had a lot of space on it then. We met up with a mutual friend that worked for Fish and Game and he regaled us with stories of packing in with just a bag of rice and living off the land for weeks at a time subsisting on feral goats and hogs.

A big reason for me going back to traditional archery was to get back to the way it was when I was a kid, but... mankind has made a mess of a lot of beautiful country... and there's no going back.

We have to make the best with what we have, and I'd say you're doing a smack-down great job at it!! Keep your dream alive, and, be satisfied with what you're achieving.

As a side note; it's not all bad here in NJ and I am lucky enough to live and work in a very rural setting, I don't even deal with much traffic. And, I had a buck tear-up my 3d target last night!! How cool is that?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©