3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Making memories at 5 Pines ( update 1/1/16)  (Read 2080 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Making memories at 5 Pines ( update 1/1/16)
« on: October 02, 2015, 03:29:00 PM »
Hey there everyone!

I returned from an uneventful moose hunt last week. A week of the Minnesota deer season had all ready slid by and I was anxious to get out.

First I'll update you on a couple of things here at 5 Pines.

The pond we built/ repaired last year has been a big hit with the ladies.

Make a life, not a living

Offline MAW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making memories at 5 Pines ( update 1/1/16)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 03:33:00 PM »
He's back! Yes!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »
This past summer was filled with big projects.

We fixed another but much smaller retention pond by mixing in 1000 pounds of Bentonite into the soil of a pond that would no longer hold water.

This picture was taken after the first 1.5 inch rain after the work was done.

its going to be another killer of a spot. Heavy bedding cover all around. one of those all day spots come November.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
So happy this thread is coming back, really enjoyed it last year. Good luck this season
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
2300 linear feet of forest road leveled and seeded.

Some serious erosion damage from flooding we had back in 2008 was finally repaired as well.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
My beet food plots are looking awesome , but the rape seed is not.

I also took the 10 acres of ag field I rented out of production and installed 8 acres of new prairie along with 2 more acres of food plots. The apple trees are heavy with fruit and the deer are fat!

Some great bucks have been hanging out along with an entire entourage of up and comers!

the buck in the video below was my #1 hit listee.
  https://www.flickr.com/photos/51550276@N08/20353090046/in/dateposted-public/

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »
:-)

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »
Yes! Been waiting for this. I love seeing and reading about your land and your season!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
I had Roman at hill country build me a new bow for moose hunting. it is 47 at 27. I have been shooting CE 250's cut to 28 with 50 grain brass insert and 200 grain Werewolves on the end. Giving me a 585 grain projectile.

As everyone knows I hunt a lot. So it should come as no surprise that I have been out every day both am and pm except once since I got back from Canada.

Yesterday afternoon, my three brothers from a different mother came to hunt with me for our annual get together. Despite the fact they all shoot Compounds I still seem to be able to tolerate their company.

Shortly after warm hugs were given and received we were at the target butt. I suggested a few of their favorite spots and we were all off to hunt.

We had a fairly stiff wind out of the NNE. I dropped Bwana off at the pond ( the one we fixed last year) and I headed farther to the south to the ladder known as Lefty.

The small plot in front of Lefty has a sad looking crop of Rape Seed (Canola) this year. But the strip of Clover along the spine of the bluff top has rich looking clover.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »
We were actually arriving at our spots a little later than I like and it was not long until I spotted a doe entering the clover strip just above the rape field from the North.

She was feeding in the clover as she walked and fed it was clear something definitely had her attention focused to the south.

I glanced that way and I spied 3 big does and 4 fawns feeding on the opposite end of the clover from her. 2 of the fawns got up on the spine of the bluff which I mow and use as a 4 wheeler and hiking trail.

They began to race up and down the length of the trail. Their hooves would pound as they raced one direction, reached the end spun and raced back. Soon the smaller of the two tired but the other relishing the colder temps kept running at its fastest. What a delight to watch from a scant 60 yards away.

The does were making their way towards me and angling right at the rape field. Following them was a very nice 10 point buck.

Three does and four fawns were now directly in front of me feeding on what little rape had grown. I turned slightly to my left to prepare for a possible shot and the stand squeaked. One of the does looked up and at me. I held my breath and it worked. The doe went back to feeding and stupid me turned a bit more and the stand squeaked yet again. Again the stare and the holding of breath but the doe went back to feeding.

The buck entered the plot and I decided not to shoot him. But then I flip flopped and just as the buck was almost past the shot window my bow came back and the arrow was gone.

The lighted nock tracked to the target and seemed to hit high and with zero penetration.!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 04:19:00 PM »
Let me get the popcorn.......glad your doing this again. I can follow you while I rehab my knee....
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
The buck flew out of the plot and crested the bluff and was gone.

I sat down and thought very negative thoughts!

With the hill blocking my view and hiding my movement I got out of the stand and went to where he was standing. BLOOD!  This plot is only 25 yards wide but there was blood the width of it.

I went to get Bwana. We decided to wait a bit and went to meet his brothers.

Returning an hour later. We found only a few more spots of blood. So I walked up and over the spine of the bluff in the direction he had run. Walking thru the chest high prairie I walked 35 more yards down hill and saw a white belly staring at me. The arrow still in him but under him hiding the red light from our view. The arrow went all the way thru the top of his chest and stopped in a rib on the far side. He had run only 85 yards and had been dead in seconds.

Clearly this buck was not the one on the top of my hit list. For a few minutes I mentally kicked my self for ending my season so early on a younger buck with so much potential. But then I remembered it's more than just about how big he was.

Having great friends along to share in the adventure made it even sweeter.

And now I got to run for it's time to get my friends back out in the stands and make more memories.

Offline larry f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »
Congrats on your buck, it was nice meeting you and thanks for keeping the fire going.
Larry Fischer
PBS Regular
Wisconsin Bow Hunters
WisconsinTradtional

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
Wow congrats!!! Just remember all the shots last year around your property, don't pass on the first day what you'll take on the last. Congrats on a beautiful deer
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
Plenty big enough......and he will eat well!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kopper1013:
don't pass on the first day what you'll take on the last.
True words! Congrats, he looks great!!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »
So glad your back at it brother Jim what a fantastic buck and as always looking forward to a awesome thread you create every year!! Now fill the freezer with some of those mamas!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
In for the 2015 season chronicles.  Congrats on your buck!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
I'm glad this thread is back! Congrats on your buck!

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
Congrats...glad u r getting this thread rolling again! Fantastic buck!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©