3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Making memories at 5 Pines ( update 1/1/16)  (Read 2085 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making memories at 5 Pines ( update 1/1/16)
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2015, 02:45:00 PM »
Getting to this spot is no easy chore. There is a 650 foot change in elevation from the valley floor to the stands' position. Part of the way is literally straight up. It forces you to crab crawl using both your hands and feet to make your way up.

I always give my self lots of extra time when sitting here. So I left the Yurt a full hour and one half before sunrise.

Half way up I was down to my underwear on top .

Once you get past the steepest part the bluff top starts to level and finally flattens out to a 50 yard wide bench about 1/4 of a mile long.

The deer bed here not because the cover is thick but because nothing can come up the ridge from any direction undetected. They will hear you coming long before they see or smell you. You would never know if you pushed one off for it would be long before you are ever near where they might have been.

The stand is just off of the bench on the East facing slope. Any Wind but straight East or South usually works. Two nice oaks growing close together provide my perch and cover.

Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »
The sun had not crested the horizon when I spotted the first of 2 does to bed 45 yards from me. Then I heard hooves in the leaves behind me. I looked over my left shoulder and spied a doe being followed by a very late and tiny fawn.

While watching them the two bedded does either saw some thing or smelled something which made them stand. the larger doe started walking circles trying to find the source of her discomfort.

Then I heard more footsteps coming up the bluff . Two deer, one a large doe was being followed by a spike buck. My bow was in my hands and I was hoping for a shot at the big doe. I was trying to use just my eyes to keep track of all the deer now around and so very close to my stand. Yet another deer appeared. This one a 2.5 year old 8 point. He sparred lightly with the spike and then cleared a spot to lie down. as he lay down  20 yards from me , the spike followed his lead and lay down as well.

The 2 larger does were still on their feet and were slowly feeding away from me. For the next 2.5 hours, I watched the 2 bucks. groom, chew, get up and change position. I hardly drew a breath for they were so near.

Every 20 minutes or so I would spot one of the does roaming and eating. Finally one of them was making her way back towards me and I hoped again for a shot. at 30 yards she too lay down and now I had 3 bedded deer inside 30 yards!

As the morning warmed , the wind increased and shifted ever so slightly to the S. It didn't take long and all three deer were on their feet looking for me.

Can you find the 3rd deer(the doe) in this photo. ?

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2015, 03:00:00 PM »

This 2.5 year old 9 point will be real slammer if he lives another 2 years.

finally the doe had had enough and moved off. Where the other does and fawns were I did not know. The two bucks hung around for about 10 minutes , giving me great photos and big smiles and then they trotted off.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2015, 03:09:00 PM »
Cool stuff as always.......   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
Congrats on a nice buck Jim. Roman will be thrilled to hear it was with one of his creations.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
Nice buck Jim! I love seeing what's new with the farm! Thanks for taking the time when you can.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »
Jim, I earnestly believe that any new deer hunter should make your annual deer season thread must-read. You always include critical info on wind, thermals, fronts, water and food, weather fronts. It adds to my reading enjoyment that Im hunting with a certain Orion lefty that you put some 5 Pines mojo on.    :thumbsup:
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2015, 12:09:00 AM »
Congrats Jim on a very fine deer!  And agree so much to learn from your annual read along.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
Glad to see your posts again this year as they sure quenched my desire last year rehabbing my shoulder! Your pics & stories are awesome Jim! Thanks!
Congrats on a fine buck. I totally understand you giving your attention to Jayne. Just don't forget about us! Lol

Kenny
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
Love this post!

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »
Beautiful ground.  I Love reading this thread over the years.  Keep it coming!
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2015, 07:23:00 AM »
Sounds like a  great Morning Jim.   :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline BenM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2015, 08:00:00 AM »

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2015, 07:16:00 AM »
Jim, that Egyptian grass sure makes good cover. Is that why you plant it or are there other benefits?
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »
Greg, I can't answer for Jim,  but I've been looking at using Egyptian grass as a screen along the road north of my home here.  I've got wide open fields visible from the road and I'm thinking that the deer would be a lot more comfortable using those fields if they couldn't be seen by cars.  It might be a great option for screening your camp from the fields around you as well.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
Dactyloctenium aegyptium
Egyptian grass
This plant can be weedy or invasive according to the authoritative sources noted below.This plant may be known by one or more common names in different places, and some are listed above. Click on an acronym to view each weed list, or click here for a composite list of Weeds of the U.S.
We deal with invasive honeysuckle around here, just a heads-up.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »
That was one of my concerns. I don't want to introduce something that I can't control. I know how some of those cute ornamental grass clumps that I have used in landscaping can really spread.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
Sorry if I have mislead anyone, I use the term Egyptian grass just as a lose or general term fro anything like this screen plot.

The seed is from frigid forage and as far as I know is not invasive and will not reseed itself.

Yes the tactic works well. this screens the food plot 200 yards out my back door. Until we put a blind in it and killed a deer out of it the deer were found in the field at any time of the day.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
Nice work as always, Jim!  The pics and stories are greatly appreciated!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
Pretty farm, pretty buck, it's all good.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©