3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Making memories at 5 Pines ( update 1/1/16)  (Read 2086 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making memories at 5 Pines ( update 1/1/16)
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2015, 07:47:00 AM »
Hi Guys!

pouring rain here this am. There has not been much to post of late. I have been in the woods each and every day. Shots on mature does have been hard to come by .  The bucks seem to know I have NO buck tag though!  Twice I have had bigger bucks than the one I killed with in 15 yards. One this week while I was standing at the bottom of the tree my tree stand was in!

I have also been really busy trying to put deer in front of buddies. Not having much luck there either!

The bucks are just starting to chase. We have started hunting over decoys as well, The very first sit we successfully decoyed in a small 6 point. It was if he read the script.

I do have some good pictures to share with you, Enjoy these while I try like hell to get you a good story to read.

Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2015, 07:50:00 AM »

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »
Great pics over the scrape.......as always, well done!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2015, 07:30:00 PM »
Any news from the farm.......   :campfire:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
Hi Ron!

It's been an interesting year to say the least! Not a single tag has been punched here in 6 weeks!

As is my norm, I have hunted nearly every morning and evening with multiple chances at bucks! Three times I had larger bucks than the one I killed give me multiple shot opps!  NO TAG!

But to get a shot at an adult doe has so far been impossible. They either wind me, catch me reaching for my bow or have been saved by their 6th sense.

It was a wild rut this year. More bucks were seen chasing then ever before. This is our 6 season of 4 point APR in MN. Add that to our valley's land owners cooperating QDM policies and its really showing what a age balanced deer herd will look like.

The regular gun season just ended and now the 2 week MZ season has started. Some of my better bucks were still on their feet as of last week . My favorite has been incognito since this photo was taken. ( as soon as flicker gets back up I will post it for you.) I am hoping they make it thru and we have a great shed hunting season to look forward to.

Suffice to say it never ceases to amaze me how hard it can be to fill a deer tag when using traditional equipment. But that's how it should be. If it were easy everyone would be doing it.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
You ain't kidding Jim, this Trad stuff is tough work!

Good luck on the remainder of your season.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2015, 08:22:00 AM »
here is SOG ( spawn of Godzilla) the last time he walked by a camera.  I have not personally laid eyes on him since last July. Sure hope he is still on his feet.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2015, 08:24:00 AM »
Hey if this was easy........everybody would do it.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
Congrats Brother! Yep its the memories of the hunt that are way more important than the rack size. Great job.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
Those are some dandy bucks!! I have heard that Louisiana is considering shortening our season and lowering our tag numbers, I think it would be very beneficial.  I would like to see more deer, etc.  With 6 tags and 4 months to hunt, there is very little management going on.  Some deer weigh a little more than a house dog that make it out of the woods.  

I would love to see some bucks like the pics you have posted.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
Sog is very impressive hopefully he makes it through the rest of the season

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
Tonight was a very special night!

We got pounded yesterday and all of last night with rain. North and West of us Snow!

This year during late season I am trying a new tactic.  For the most part I am skipping the early AM hunts and trying to head out to a spot near food around mid day. Then hanging in there till dark.

Today the sky was so grey and so low it was if you could reach above your head and touch it. I hadn't hunted a big food plot on the top of the bluff for a while and decided to make the long walk up around 1 pm.

On the near side of the bluff top the food plot didn't do so well. On the far side its full of food but with no trees near it you have to try and guess where the deer will come up the bluff side to reach it. I have two choices here and with a wind out of the SW I chose the Justin stand.

when I have a buck tag this is where I do a lot of decoying at. below me is a great line of rubs .

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
Around 2 30 pm it started to snow lightly. The light kept changing from light to dark to light again and I spotted my first deer in the food plot about 80 yards to my West. Shoot it looked like I chose the wrong stand and should have been on the opposite end of the field.

The snow picked up. I had glanced to the East for just a second or two and when I looked back to the west towards the doe, there he stood on the cusp of the bluff and entering into the food plot.

It was SOG. He is at about 65 yards in this photo with no magnification.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
I got to spend the next 45 minutes watching him and taking his photo.

I felt so fortunate to have chosen this stand to sit tonight. This is only the 2nd time I have ever actually seen him other than on a trail camera.

Several does had now fed into the plot and one was working my way. SOG was following her in my direction and they disappeared from view due the peak of the bluff. I picked up my bow hoping he would push her over the bluff back to my side.

Several minutes had passed when suddenly I could make out the horizontal line of a deer's back in the tall grass.

SOG popped  up at 45 yards distant and stood looking in my direction. Despite have the wind in my favor, despite not moving nor making a sound, that old boy swung his head left and then right and then turned tail and trotted out of sight. Taking the does with him, I spent the next hour thinking about what I just got to watch.

If this isn't why we do this then I don't know what is.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2015, 09:03:00 PM »
:scared:  
Man he's a nice buck, and to think that he's on your farm!!!!!!

Great Night and Great perspective   :thumbsup:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »
How do they know?  Mature deer are amazing animals and make us feel downright foolish sometimes to even try.  Even though you didn't have a tag, his instincts made that fact irrelevant.
Cool encounter!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
Very cool I hope he stays on your property for the rest of the season

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
its just been pointed out to me that the buck I saw last night is a different buck than SOG.  WOW they are right.  look close.  I sure hope SOG is out there still walking as well.!! I guy can dream I guess

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
going to call this new guy DG2 ( double G2 )

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
Awesome encounter man! They are just different critters, those old deer. What a pleasure to be in their company!
Mike Davenport

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©