3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Still hunting: Stool or cushion?  (Read 251 times)

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
Still hunting: Stool or cushion?
« on: October 02, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »
I normally use a small 3 legged folding stool for my hunting and build brush blinds around me. Thing is, I leave the front open for limb clearance but I was thinking this added height makes leg or feet movement more noticable. I have a small foam pad, think its for a tree stand, that I was thinking of using to get a little lower, reduce my signature and eliminate any chance of leg movement. I've been practicing shooting on my keister even though plan A would be to try to get to a knee if there was a chance too. I surprised myself with my shooting on my butt, especially with a 68" ASL. Does anyone else ever just park it on their can when they still hunt? Does the drop of 20" greatly reduce your field of view? To be honest, sitting on a small stool is a pain in the... well, you know, so either way I'm going to try it. Just wondering if there's anything I'm not considering.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Still hunting: Stool or cushion?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
i leant a cool trick from calgary chef on here- he digs a hole just about knee deep- as wide as your boot. so that his legs fit in- and then he is kinda sitting on a bench. knees are comfortable, and the reduced profile definitely confuses the deer . then when yer done , you can go potty- close up the hole and be on yer way   :laughing:

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »
Hahah thats an interesting idea. Not sure if I want to be adding a small shovel to the pack kit, but I like the idea. Maybe in the off season I could go to my favorite haunts and make some for use in season. Thanks!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 06:45:00 PM »
thats what i used to do- works awesomely- and i used to put a branch in them when i wasnt there- so the little critters could climb out.
good luck!

but as to your question- i use a thre legged stool- my ol knees wont take the bending anymore!hurt them too much as a youngster- sorry now!

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
I carry a cushion on my belt & sit on whatever the Great One put there for me!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 10:18:00 PM »
X2 on sitting on what is there. The hole idea sounds great as well. I lugged a stool around one season and I will admit the new fanged swiveling seats look good but I hate humping any more gear than necessary.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 10:32:00 PM »
the bird shooters use a foam pad that has a loop on it- that you put on your belt behind ya-its always there-dont need to fish it outta the pack- i like that idea!
i just use a light weight 3 legged stool, then  i get to choose exactly where i want to sit- we also live in a rain forest here- so everything is covered in wet moss and wet rotting leaves.

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 03:42:00 AM »
I have a pad snapped to my belt and I have a Nifty seat with the longer leg strapped with a stretch belt around my waist.  Once through the snap on the seat through the frame a twice around the leg holds it horizontal and out of my way when sneaking.  It is not the most comfortable thing to sit on, bur with tree to lean against and the light foam pad to soften the edges it is better and has better concealment possibilities than a log.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »
Torges tree seat.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
Still hunting: Stool or cushion?

What does building brush blinds, digging holes, and lugging stuff have to do with still hunting?

Still hunting, at least by the definition I've always known involves moving slowly through a hunting area in hopes of spotting game before it sees you. Then stalk closer to get a shot.

When I'm still hunting I use comfortable soft soled boots, binoculars, and not much else. I move slowly with long stops between steps. I might have a foam pad hooked to my belt but it more than likely will not be used unless I take a break.

Before season I build blinds and prepare spots to be hunted by ambush, all using some sort of seat. Totally different form of hunting.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
If you use a stool run up to Wally World and grab one of those camp rolls of burlap. Cut off the right sized piece and throw it over you lap when you are sitting down.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
still hunting,,, if I haven't got a shot yet then leafy suit if I have got a shot and really don't want to deal with a suit I just wear whatever I have on.

stand hunting,,, I like to use a nifty seat or tree seat
"Us vs Them"

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
I sit on a 5 gallon bucket that with the lid, still cost less than $4!
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©