3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If you have an Alaskan Moose hunt planned or just dreaming of one.  (Read 566 times)

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: If you have an Alaskan Moose hunt planned or just dreaming of one.
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
I will step out on a limb here, I was a registered guide in Alaska for many years. I'll go about 65, maybe a touch more but not much. Now a question, was this a Cordova/Copper river moose?

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
I'll guess 67 1/2".

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »
Well I will give the Answer. Thanks for all for participating. The spread is 64". I just wanted to bring this up because some Moose are hard to judge. It is a skill that a person should learn before coming up to Alaska to hunt Moose. There are hundreds of citations given out every year because people miss judge Moose. I would hate for one of you to come up on a hunt of a life time and walk up on a bull that was 49 3/4" and get a ticket and no meat and no antlers. Happy hunting and good luck to all

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
Newhouse114,

Im not sure of the location of where the bull was taken. I am pretty confident it wasn't around Cordova. I'm sure it was a lot further north.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »
Inches? Whatever, that is a beautiful animal. Wow, congratulations!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2015, 01:55:00 AM »
Yep everything is measured in inches

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2015, 02:25:00 AM »
Olin,

Thanks for the reminder, it is appreciated. I have been on two moose hunts in AK and we are headed back again next fall.  My guess was within an inch of the actual measurement. The size restriction was my number one worry during my first trip to AK hunting the moose, learn how to judge them before you go.  

FYI, I worried / thought a lot more about the antler size requirements than the grizzly's.

For some additional practice, Here are a few pictures of the moose rack taken during my last AK moose hunt. What is the width of this rack?

The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2015, 05:46:00 AM »
Is that the Pigger bull, Walt?  59 inches?
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2015, 07:47:00 AM »
I would guess that one at about 59 or 60 inches. Big enough!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
Thanks Walt for taking the time to post another bull. Thats a fine looking bull. I love how long the tines are. Even though I have looked at a bunch of bulls I haven't gotten very proficient at guessing spread in my opinion. I would guess your bull at a little over 50" maybe 55"? I hear ya on the Grizzly bear. I don't give them much thought anymore. When I first came to Alaska there was a bear behind every tree Lol. After living on Kodiak and being out and about more I have a different attitude. I sure respect them but my blood pressure rarely goes up anymore because of them. Mostly because the chances of seeing one is 50/50 and the chances of having problems are very very low. I just spent 15 days out in the bush in a area that people say is a high density area and in that time we only had one bear circle our tent on one of the nights but we were sleeping. I do have a couple unnerving story's about sleeping in tents and grizzly bears lol. Good hunting to you sir.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
Thanks for posting Olin.  I am planning a moose hunt and judging a bull on the hoof to meet the 50" requirement is definitely a concern for me.   Although I didn't post my guess, I guessed 65", so I was close.  But honestly, that bull is really a no brainer....as soon as you see him you know he's legal.  I'm most worried about bulls that are border line. I'm guessing Walt's bull is 55".  I hope more people that have killed moose will post pics and the actual spread.  Great learning tool!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2015, 03:32:00 PM »
I just spent 2 weeks in AK moose hunting. It's a lot easier "judging" from the barka lounger than when the bull is 15 yards away. After looking at footage of two bulls that were well within my longbow range, I believe I let legal bulls go free. They were too close IMO without 4 brow tines to take the chance of a confiscated moose and gear, along with fines and lost hunting privileges. One may have had 4 brow times but one of them was very small and coming off another brow point and I did not know how that would be interpreted. Not easy for sure.

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
Chuck,  the greatest spread for moose is taken from the outermost antler material, excluding any abnormality or abnormal point on either antler, on one antler to the outermost antler material on the other antler. This measurement has to be taken perpendicular (right angle) to the centerline axis of the skull.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
54"
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Jeff,
Yes that is the moose shot with Pigger.

Olin,
You are the closest.  

Photography can be deceiving,the bull was 49 3/4".  If in a 50 " area I would have passed on this bull, the area I hunted was not a 50" area.  The local game warden said regardless, he wouldn't have done anything as it was close enough to 50".  After seeing Pigger, he was so amazed with a selfbow taking a mature moose that was all he talked about.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2015, 10:17:00 PM »
Walt, using a dividers ( on those pix), measuring off the width of the animals eyes, then going both sides, if that eye measurement is 10" that bull looks to clearly exceed 50", by several inches, again, if you believe that initial measurement.  Looks to be a bit tricky I see.
ChuckC

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2015, 01:41:00 AM »
ChuckC Thats the down fall of that measurement. That 10" is kinda of a average. Not all bulls are crated equal.

Walt that is a fine looking bull. I am glad you bumped into a understanding trooper. I know of a guy that is as honest as anyone and he turned himself in with a bull that was 49 1/2" and he received a $500 dollar fine, meat and antlers taken and lost his hunting privileges for a couple years. Pretty hefty fine for a 1/2 inch.
Anyway congratulations on a successful hunt and good luck on your 2016 hunt.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
I killed a bull many years ago in a 36" area. 15 minutes after the bull died, fish and feathers was there putting a tape on it. 35.75" is what the tape read. The trooper laughed and told me he'd give me quarter inch because of possible antler contraction due to cold. It was minus 50 and in waist deep snow! Only had to move it a couple hundred yards but I was whipped before it was all over.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
I killed a bull many years ago in a 36" area. 15 minutes after the bull died, fish and feathers was there putting a tape on it. 35.75" is what the tape read. The trooper laughed and told me he'd give me quarter inch because of possible antler contraction due to cold. It was minus 50 and in waist deep snow! Only had to move it a couple hundred yards but I was whipped before it was all over.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©