3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ladder stands in the TIMBER  (Read 418 times)

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ladder stands in the TIMBER
« on: October 03, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »
I would love to effectively use ladder stands here in the mountains , but the trees here are straight with very few pines available. The deer will spot you 100 yards away in these dang things . You guys who hunt these hard hunted eastern whitetails have any suggestions for ladder stands ? I use hang on stands  with a climbing stick now , so don't need those suggestions . I tried ladders for 2 years with very little if any success . I tried tying branches, leaves an other methods to hide them , but it didn't work .
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ladder stands in the TIMBER
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
I hunt NW NJ. Always try to find a group of three closely growing trees and put the stand in the middle one. Constricts your shooting somewhat but condealment is paramount. Cedars are great, if you can find one. If you're worried about the deer being spooked by the stand itself-don't worry. I've actually had a doe pass between the ladder and the tree I was in. They just become part of the scenery after a while. Other than that, pick the best tree you can find and hope for the best.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 08:18:00 AM »
I second the 3-tree method!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
I try to put them in a clump of basswood or where two maples have grown out of one stump. I leave mine up year round if I can. Last year I was in a ladder stand behind my house. This stand is there year round. While I was sitting in the stand two different spike bucks used the stand as a scratching post for their neck and shoulders.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline Ratatat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »
My Dad sets his ladders up in three close trees as well.  He will also look for blow downs to set up in.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
Jack; long time no see! I have began using ladder stands and have been experiencing similar problems.

You may have seen my thread regarding shooting out of them. Cost me a nice 8 the first morning. While I generally have no problems shooting at lesser angles, the close shot had not been practiced.

I understand your dilemma to be different, yet still frustrating.

So, far (knock on wood) I have not noticed the deer being spooked by the stands while unoccupied, but they do seem to pick you out quicker.

I am keeping an eye on this thread.
Good luck,
Wayne
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
Jack,

I use ladder stand almost exclusively and do very well.  I look for heavy cover areas with shadows to set them close to travel or feeding areas.  I also move stands almost daily to hot spots.  Seldom get busted but am a stickler for heavy cover with small shot lanes.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 11:49:00 AM »
Soemtimes the "right" tree is not always the best tree...so you have to get creative.  I've been using ladders a lot for the past several years... and still use hang-ons too, but I prefer ladders as I am getting older.   I do the add-a-branch thing, try to find close together or multi-trunked trees, and I even lean deadfall against the tree I'm in to create visual havoc for the deer.   One big problem with ladders (at least the cheap ones I buy) is that when standing, you are too far away from the tree trunk making it easier for a deer to pick you out, especially if you move, which when lacking the stability of being able to lean against the trunk, is easy to do.  I think I will try to buy a few ladders that have a fold-up seat to solve that.  Since I lack those right now, I try and position the stand so that approaching deer have to walk by me before I get a shot...make sense?  That way they don't have a silhouette of me obvious to them.  I also try and using the rising and setting sun to my advantage, set up on inside corners, little tricks like that.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
My wife suggested painting the ladder rungs flat black as there are not a lot of horizontal shapes in the woods. May be a good idea.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 03:33:00 PM »
These deer are pressured hard and we are hunting in mature hardwood forest . No thick brushy areas on my small acreaage

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 04:17:00 PM »
I hunt on private land but the deer around it are high pressure. I use a lot of ladder stands on my property in open hardwoods with great success.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
We hang them let them sit for about a month before we hunt them that way deer get use to it.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 08:51:00 PM »
What Wingnut said!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 04:28:00 AM »
I've had poor success on public land with climbing sticks. Deer see the sticks and immediately follow them up the tree almost every time. One time I got busted 4 times in a row from different stands and after that I quit. These were put in trees with cover too! That being said I'm sure you could try brushing them in and leaving them in the area awhile. Lots of folks love those ladder stands.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 08:52:00 AM »
If I'm using a tree stand ladders are allbi use and mine are always positioned so I can shoot while seated, my preferred method.

If I have to stand up mine all have fold up seats(made them that way) and extended towards tree foot platforms so I can blend into the trunk/trunks.

I hunt big woods too, mostly all public where treestands must be removed daily. When hunting there I use ground blinds constructed out of the available dead vegetation.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
Yes to the three trunk tree method..!  Effective and deadly way to use a ladder stand.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 05:33:00 AM »
I hear what you are saying about the 3 trunk method and have used it myself . But the RIGHT tree is never where you need it   :(   Thanks for your replies.

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 07:25:00 AM »
Put the stands out about a month before season and let them get used to seeing it.

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »
Hi Jack - I grew up in Petersburg, WV hunting huge National Forest lands - much of which were old growth poplar and chestnut oak with no cover, and no branches for at least 40 feet!  I never saw ladder stands work for bowhunters, but we loved them in rifle season.  

I honestly think they aren't much good in your situation unless you do find that perfect tree.  The only 1 I had that was a successful bow stand was adjacent a large hemlock to hide me.  Again...a perfect tree.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 08:37:00 AM »
Sounds to me like you need a new place to hunt Jack.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©