3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Building My Own Arrows vs Buying Them  (Read 709 times)

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Building My Own Arrows vs Buying Them
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
Always built my own and is very easy to do with the right tools. You will find it very enjoyable and rewarding when you kill an animal with an arrow you built!
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »
I build all of my arrows (except woodies because I don't have the patience for them). I have a specific feather pattern I use. I have been using it for years. If I do lose an arrow at a shoot, when it is found, almost everybody knows it is mine.

Bisch

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2016, 06:08:00 PM »
I shoot aluminum now, and have assembled all my arrows from components.  I want to start shooting some wood arrows - for no reason other than that I have never shot wood and I find the traditional aspect very appealing, for some reason.  But I have been very apprehensive about taking the plunge to purchase everything I would need just to start out. I am working up the courage to jump in, as my shooting improves.  Maybe soon!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »
I have gotten to the point where I make just about everything I need.  Bows, shafts, strings, quivers, tabs, armguard, etc. I buy points, broadheads and nocks.

If their is a way to save a buck and a quarter by putting in nine hours of work, then I do it.   :biglaugh:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline tradarcher4fun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
I like building my own arrows.  I actually find it relaxing.  Going to start cresting them.
Bob Lee Elite Classic
Stewart Slammers & Reflex/ Deflex
Toelke Pika

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2016, 07:38:00 PM »
I use the carbon express shafts as well.

I use the harbor freight cut off saw.

I then use the G5 square up tool for the cut off end and the 5/16 reamer tool with tee handle to rough up the inside of the shaft for gluing the insert into it.

Next blowout the carbon dust and clean with q-tips and denatured alcohol.

I use insert iron glue for the brass inserts.

I fletch with left wing 5 feathers using fletching tape.

Idoubted the tape over fletch tite glue at first, but found it to be just as strong and way faster to use.

I only need one bitz and left wing jig and am finished quickly since I no longer wait for glue to set.

Sometimes I use the One Stringer wraps and sometimes I do not.

I haven't tried wood arrows yet, as the cresting part is what keeps me from jumping into that.

Maybe some day.

But as for carbons...it's a lot of fun and you can build them for friends and family...make nice gifts etc.

Costwise, I don't keep track, but doing it yourself will feel good for you.

Have fun!
Irv Eichorst

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2016, 09:27:00 PM »
I picked up a couple Bitz jigs here on the classifieds and have one set up for right wing and one left wing...  It's great fun and the color combos are a hoot to try out!  I just started using wraps and REALLY like the way they turned out!

It's a GOOD time!

Good luck, shoot straight and God Bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2016, 03:04:00 PM »
I usually build. I just ordered built arrows from 3 rivers. I figured there to be about $16 difference per dozen and that doesn't entail buying any adhesive.  I like to make them but Id rather shoot. The next time I might try the tape because it is the gluing that takes all the time.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by BayfieldHunter:
Fellas -  I just ordered my equipment and materials.  I may have a few questions about the actual build process as I get into it but I really appreciate the great feedback and guidance.  I started stump shooting a few months ago and it has been hard on arrows.  Thanks again!  Dave
Two suggestions - be very picky about targets, and give the Bunny Buster blunts a try. We have lots of rocks here in NH, I do lots of stumping, and I find it hard to break arrows when I use these blunts. They fly better than you might imagine.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2016, 11:58:00 AM »
Do you prefer home cooking, or McDonald's?  :)
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »
There is a special feeling shooting and taking game with what you made yourself.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
For me, building my own arrows adds a whole new dimension to my enjoyment. The satisfaction of hitting the bullseye or killing a game animal with a perfect shot with an arrow you made from scratch can't be equaled with a store-bought arrow.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©