3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My first 3D shoot  (Read 390 times)

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
My first 3D shoot
« on: October 04, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
Just want to share with you, guys. Attende my first 3D shoot ever this weekend. Fun, but not all to proud of my own performance... Ended up at 7. place in my group with a score of 298 of 528 possible.
But shooting rookie among seniors, maybe I should be satisfied...
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first 3D shoot
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »
Compete with yourself and you will always be a winner! (That's my excuse anyway.)    :rolleyes:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
Don't worry about the score. Just concentrate on getting better. Develop at your own pace without regard of what others are doing. We will never be perfect, but significant improvement is a matter practice and attention to good form. All this will be achieved over time, never overnight. The only part that emerges overnight is the amount of fun you can have. Go for it!
Sam

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 05:04:00 PM »
I love to shoot 3d's but only take so much stock in the score. around here anyway, many (or most of at some shoots) the trad stakes are not realistic shots to begin with.  fun for sure, but not realistic.  at the biggest shoot around here, its 40 targets and the outer vital ring scores 8.  usually first place will shoot under 320.  meaning, the best average a non vital hit.
is it September yet??

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »
Once you learn the elements of good form, how well you shoot depends on two things: your technical proficiency, developed through practice, and mental focus, developed by learning to tune out distractions.  These are two different and mutually exclusive things: improving your technical proficiency will not improve your mental focus, and improving your mental focus will not improve your technical proficiency.  Improving your technical proficiency will raise the bar of how well you can potentially shoot, and improving your mental focus will allow you to come closer to reaching that bar on any particular day.

Your first 3D shoot adds a new load of distractions, compared with shooting alone or with a few friends.  If you shoot enough 3D shoots, the distractions won't be as bothersome. If you study mindfulness, or methods of expanding your awareness and focusing your concentration, you might be able to reduce the distractions to a level even less than when you shoot alone or with close friends.  The potential for improving your performance when performing under pressure is probably greater by increasing your mental focus than by increasing your technical proficiency, although of course you should endeavor to do both.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
Well said McDave and your points sum it up...

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
Trond, did you have fun and will you go to more 3ds. The answer should be YES. Remember why you got into shooting trad. it is fun that is the key word FUN. Enjoy yourself.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 01:03:00 AM »
Shot a 3D this morning as well. We shot 60 targets and I only fanned 4. Very good for me and I came home with all my ammo. The trad stakes were OK, only one long one, full size caribou at about 40 yards in the flat. Of course I had to shoot him from wheel bow stake, about 50+ yards. Got him a little high in the chest.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
Strive to better yourself.
My first shoot I sucked big time, The same shoot a year later I won first place Longbow.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »
Yeah, I had a blast and are definatly going to another shoot. But this was the last shoot for the winter, so I will practise my form through the cold months. Come spring, I will try again.
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©