3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever switch broadheads because of price?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
Ever switch broadheads because of price?
« on: October 04, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »
I've been shooting the woodsman elite broadheads for a few years and was going to get another pack but they've jumped up to $55 per 3.  I've got a couple left but I think I'm going back to Magnus stingers or VPA's.  Anyone else doing the same thing?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever switch broadheads because of price?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »
I've switched broadheads because the new ones looked cool ! I have enough broadheads for two or three life times.

I may, however,  have found some I'm gonna use a bunch, but I haven't gotten them bloody yet to be certain.
ChuckC

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
Use what works for you.
I live in AZ so we get one deer a year, that's it.
And I am willing to use what I have confidence in, then I pay a bit more for a no questions asked replacement promise. After all we have a lot of rocks out here, and I tend to shoot at rabbits, coyotes, quail and dove with the arrows I brought.
6 blades with no guarantee ,cost the same as 3 with I figure. and those same 3 will last me as long as the company does.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
I quit Woodsman a few years back due to the  quality of the product as the price continued to rise. They may have solved....I do not know or care. Went back to Magnus where I will stay.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
I won't pay high dollar for broad heads.
Too many wonderful, affordable products out there
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
Same boat here.  I still love the VPA 3 blade but I can't justify the price for shooting around here at deer.  I've found a couple cheaper options that are working g for me.

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
I agree with Brian as I do not see the need to pay that kind of money for broadheads as long as we have quality broadheads out there that fly great and are durable like Zwickey,Ace etc especially for deer sized game
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »
If I were shooting at and missing lots of deer, I would probably be a little more price conscious - but at the rate I'm going my supply of both pricey and inexpensive broad heads will probably last me the rest of my hunting career.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 08:47:00 PM »
I was just noticing this today as I browsed new broadheads....I've got carbon steel montecs I'm gonna keep using I guess
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
Fortunately I have an ample supply of 3 blade VPA, 1 1/8, 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 inch cut along with brown bears so while the new heads are tempting I have all I will probably ever need.

Like most I ain't fixin' what ain't broke.   :archer:
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
I love a quality broadhead but it does hurt to see a hog run off with $1.50 fletchings, $5.00 shaft $1.00 brass insert and a $10.00 broadhead. Bet you're thinkin he needs to learn how to shoot. You're so right    :knothead:

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
Yes. There are 6 in a pack of Grizzlies for the price of 3 of the high dollar stuff. I'm glad I changed. They are the best I have used at any price.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 10:23:00 PM »
There are so many great broadheads out there, some are improvements to older designs and some are just remakes with a different name.  The old ones ( ace, Zwicky, bear to name a few), still work just fine as do the new ones.  In the end there are a lot of great choices, use what works best for you and your wallet.  For me the older ones work perfect for me.  YMMV
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 11:27:00 PM »
The answer to your title is no
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 11:36:00 PM »
Never switched because of price, but I've also never shot the expensive ones to begin with for that same reason.   ;)   not knocking the high dollar ones, but there are lots of good affordable ones out there.  I do shoot Simmons Interceptors which are typically more than your Zwickeys and Magnuses and what not, but I found 5 of them at a garage sale for $1/broadhead, so I guess they are still cheap heads in my situation.  If I ever get around to buying some wood shafts, I'll probably go with Zwickey, Magnus, or Ace glue ons.  I haven't shot anything with the Simmons yet, so I guess I could decide they're worth the extra cash once I do.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 11:57:00 PM »
No. If I know I have a quality broadhead that I like and will likely be able to use several times, I'll pay whatever they cost.

There might be cheaper broadheads that would do fine.....but I stick with what I like.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 12:07:00 AM »
I have only switched when I lost confidence in a broadhead or felt another might be better...that has happened twice in 20+ years.  Spending $50 every few years on some broadheads is not an issue...spending it every year is not an issue when you look at how much we spend on other things of less worth and that gives less satisfaction.

My traditional journey began with Zwickey Eskimos...then went to Ribteks and Snuffers.  I still shoot Ribteks primarily but have been trying out Grizzly heads the past few years as an altnerative when or if I run out of the dozens of Ribteks I stocked up on when they stopped selling in states.

Even if I had no Ribteks remaining and were just shooting the Grizzly Kodiaks and Instincts....I still would not change.  Very satisfied in their results on hogs and bear so far....

To me that is not expensive.....there are others that are nearly that much EACH that some profess are needed to get good penetration...I dont buy it.

If they are too expensive...there are plenty that are less expensive that will still do the trick like Zwickey or Ace.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 12:21:00 AM »
I keep coming back to Zwickeys. Not because of price. They simply do the job.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 12:40:00 AM »
Like the other thread.......

I don't think you should skimp on "bullets".

I use different heads for different applications neither is based on price.......

If I was worried about the cost of an arrow being lost to an animal I think I'd quit bowhunting and just shoot bullets.

I've read on here for years that folks will use their quote bad arrows or crooked arrows for rabbits or squirrels and for the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would shoot an arrow that did not go where you're looking or an inefficient arrow at game of any kind I want all my arrows and all my shots to do exactly what I want and go where I want sorry if I stepped on some toes but crooked arrows and Bent arrows don't belong in the quiver.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 01:30:00 AM »
Jacob,

The answer to your question is NO.  

That said, I have used/tried most of the new machined broadheads and do like most of them.  However, my results with them are no better than when using the Eclipse, Grizzly, and Magnus broadheads I used for the past thirty years, therefore I use them.

Terry,
Before becoming obsessed with Bowhunting I played a lot of golf, like your bent arrow, I never understood why anybody used an inferior ball when facing a hazard.  I always wanted the greatest chance to succeed and used the best ball in my bag; I apply the same sentiments when hunting.  It just isn’t in my nature to intentionally provide an excuse for failing.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©