3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever switch broadheads because of price?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever switch broadheads because of price?
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 02:00:00 AM »
Some folks are on a budget.Matter a fact a lot of folks are on a budget.I think you can get a really good head totally adequate for the job without spending big bucks and not feeling guilty that your using something inferior that's prone to wounding animals or costing a hunter clean kills.

A hunter should never use a poorly designed broadhead or one that is not razorsharp.

I think in a screw in a Stinger in 150 gr is very effective head that has excellent design features overall as far as blade thickness,ferrule strength,the diamondpoint to prevent tipcurl,tight tolerances,good flight and easily replacable blades that are razor sharp in my experience.All at a reasonable price.I have had very good experiences with that head.

Their are other ones that are very good.

Nothing wrong with shooting the very best most expensive heads.I would recommend it if you got the cash.But their are superb heads for the hunter on a budget available.just be picky and do your research.Strong,no tip curl,good flight and razor sharp out of a well tuned arrow that recovers quickly from paradox and does not porpoise or fishtail equal's success.

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 02:06:00 AM »
I found Zwickey early on and have never felt like I had to look for something new. Im not apposed to trying something new and I might someday but for now I am satisfied. In today's market I feel they are a big bang for their buck.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 08:25:00 AM »
The broad heads I shoot some people consider old. I shoot old bear, Person small dead heads, Zwickey
delta. Don't fix something that is not broke. Besides, if you hit the deer where you suppose to there are only a few that will not work. I'm a  believer it's a must to get the deer in under 20 yards and at the right angle before shooting
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »
Yep.  And undoubtedly will again.  I'm about to start making them since prices continue to climb.
Silence is golden.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
No. I use up what I have on hand. When I need more I select what I want. I have never felt the need to go with the high priced stuff. I like Zwickey and Magnus, so I usually go back to these tried and true brands.
Sam

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
What price is considered high priced for a BH ?????

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
NO
Cory<><
<-----------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
As an addition to my original post, I will clarify that the largest animal that I hunt is whitetail deer, and in N Louisiana a deer over 200 lbs is a monster.  If I ever have an opportunity to hunt larger game such as elk or bear, or maybe even some of the much larger northern white tails, I would probably do a lot of research to find a very tough head for the job, and price wouldn't be a factor.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2015, 09:32:00 AM »
Nope. For the most part I don't shoot really expensive heads but I love my VPAs. This year I'm shooting woodsman elites and we will see. VPA just doesn't have 150s that are the shape I want and it's what my new set up needs. I shot the regular woodsman for years before coughing up the money for the VPAs but the price turned out to be well worth it. I never had a woodsman survive more that 2 kills without getting damaged. I Killed 11 animals with one of my first VPA 175 grain heads. It turned out to be a way cheaper option.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
I have never "switched" because of price but price per head does factor into my selection somewhat.  I think that is true of most bowhunters however the price threshold is obviously different from person to person.  We sell tons of the 4 buck per head broadheads (Zwickey / Tusker ) and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that I use those heads a lot.  Many others are very comfortable spending 10-11 per head.  That's fine too.

There are some uber-expensive heads available today that I don't personally think offer much over the good 10 buck heads but that is just my opinion.

Since most of today's heads are very tough and can be re-used I don't think there are really any bad choices, just shoot what you like and have fun.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
No.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2015, 10:21:00 AM »
I have never switched due to price.  I figure the cost of a few broadheads is insignificant to what I spend each year to go hunting.  Makes no sense to buy a new bow and truck and then go cheap with broadheads.  That said, there are lots of good broadheads to choose from that will fit nearly any budget.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
Absolutely.  I started using the Magnus II two blade after it hit the market many years ago.  When the price went up here a few years back I stopped buying it in favor of the Zwickey eskimo which is what I used prior to using the magnus anyway.  The magnus price went beyond what I'm currently willing to pay when their are other very similar options available at a much lower cost.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
By the way I use the zwicikie Delta four blades and no mercy four blades most of the time...... don't need to switch to any other head that's not multi-blade just for price
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »
I would say no to the question and agree with Terry on shooting your best arrows,I shoot wood premium Doug fir.

I don't think expensive broadheads are necessary though, I use one of the oldest and cheapest on the market, Ace express 200g and never had better blood trails and I've shot them all until I tried the express.

Same goes for bullets, I shoot and make my own round balls for my smokepoles. Cheap, easy and put them down just as fast no need for anything else. I have 100% confidence in all my setups or I wouldn't be in the woods with them.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
For me it's about what the whole setup is called upon to do.  My bow weight limit is finally back up all the way to 44#!  Since my arrows will hopefully be loosed at elk, the broadheads need to maximize penetration.  That means two blades, true 3/1 ratio, heavy and sharp.  Fortunately I don't need to spend an arm and a leg to get them.

I see broadheads offered at shockingly high prices that would not work for me if they were free.  So, while price is important, I'm not about to compromise the features needed for price.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2015, 12:45:00 PM »
One more time..... What is the price of a high priced Broadhead???????????????????

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2015, 01:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowbldr:
One more time..... What is the price of a high priced Broadhead???????????????????
It will vary from one hunter to another, but I would put it in the $10 each range.  I have some of these broadheads and consider them worth the price because they are what I want, such as some 200 gr 1 1/4 inch VPA's.  I think this is about my limit, tho.  There are some excellent heads available in the low price range, such as Ace, Zwickey and Ribteks.  I have those, too and won't hesitate to shoot them.

The big question is: "How much does a cheap broadhead cost?"
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
Thanks for your answer. $10 ea. I see several at $7ea. from different suppliers. Is the $10 head that much better than the $7 BH? if not why not shoot the $7 BH?
"How much does a cheap broadhead cost?" It could possibly be the trophy of your life time.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
To the the original question, no never because of price.

Just because it cost more doesn't make it work any better.......
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©