3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever switch broadheads because of price?  (Read 1925 times)

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever switch broadheads because of price?
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »
I just have a hard time spending $55 for 3 broadheads that break when you shoot an animal quartered away.  I've had 3 out of the last 4 animals shot with them break the head.

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
I have so much money invested in my stash of German Kinetic broadheads, I don't think I will ever switch to anything else (except to use the Magnus Stingers too).

Bisch

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
Nope, got a stash of 300 extremes, they were expensive when built and if were still available, would still buy them. just purchased 6 of Bob Morrison's new heads and will use them. Price is not a factor for a good weapon or broadhead.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by hawk22:
I just have a hard time spending $55 for 3 broadheads that break when you shoot an animal quartered away.  I've had 3 out of the last 4 animals shot with them break the head.
Yeah, Hawk, I'd be disappointed, too.  I've never had a broadhead fail on an animal, altho I did slightly curl a couple of original Woodsman tips.  Once filed a bit they are pretty tough, tho.  I shoot woods and glue on heads, so I don't have the skinny shaft to break.  My high dollar heads are some 1 1/4" VPA glue-ons, $15+ each and 3 of 4 packs.  There is one in my quiver now.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
My line is drawn at the price of Simmons. They are hands down my favorite head.  They fly really good, they sharpen easily, and their design is just amazing. BUT they are on the expensive side to me. Other than the Simmons I prefer Zwickey No Mercy
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2015, 11:38:00 PM »
$30 a 1/2 doz. a good head for the price and there are plenty out there
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
I wonder how much overlap there is with those that are in the "inexpensive" broadhead crowd with those that are in the $1200.00 - 1500.00 custom bow crowd.  Or the fully decked out Kuiu/Sitka crowd.  Or those driving to their hunting spot in a $50,000+ crew cab truck?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
Hahahah right lol. On that note, I do own an expensive custom bow. But I'd rather shoot a high quality bow that fits me and put that arrow in the right place with any proven broadhead design. Almost all of them work well if you put them in the right spot.

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2015, 11:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Burnsie:
I wonder how much overlap there is with those that are in the "inexpensive" broadhead crowd with those that are in the $1200.00 - 1500.00 custom bow crowd.  Or the fully decked out Kuiu/Sitka crowd.  Or those driving to their hunting spot in a $50,000+ crew cab truck?
I don't know the answer to that, but I have been called nuts many times for spending the $$$ on the German Kinetic heads. All I know is that they are the sharpest thing out of the box you can buy, they resharpen very well, critters end up in my freezer and on my wall when I use them, and most importantly, I have the utmost confidence in them!

That makes them a great choice for me!

The next guy is free to use whatever trips his trigger!

Bisch

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
Bisch, I'm A German Kinetics guy myself,  although I have been giving the Abowyer Brown Bears a try and really like them as well.
BTW, I drive a rusted out mini-van, wear mismatched camo, but I do own a Blacktail Elite VL and a Toelke Whip Take-down.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »
nope, but i've stuck with what i had because of price. Just got a 3-pack of Stinger 150s, delivered, for $30.

If it ain't broke...
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2015, 03:34:00 PM »
I was going to say why spend more than the price of a Zwickey, but then I got these 190 grain Ribtecs for less than $3 a head. I am pretty certain they will do the job. So yes I did jump on the chance to shoot a good broad head for less money.

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
Two part answer. 1. Yes. When my favorite head doubled in price I went back to Zwickey. 2. Same as my rig. I am not going to use up valuable funds driving a Rubicon to go hunting when a good running old CJ does the same thing for me. Plenty of good heads that perform every bit as well without throwing money down the snake hole.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
If I like an item I stay with it also if there is a price increase, about BHs I like to change and what I can say that a good tuff BH, is a little more expensive but it lasts much longer..
I have many VPA,Tuffheads,Simmons and such that have taken many games hit debris,rocks and bones and still in perfect conditions. So at the end a well designed BH is cheaper than some low priced ones
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2015, 01:28:00 AM »
I shoot magnus stingers and abowyer broadheads. I like the stingers because i can get them razor sharp  on my kme sharpener. And the abowyer heads come razor sharp. I find in life if I want something bad enough I just put more hours at work, or pick up an extra shift. Hunting and archery in general can be as expensive as you make it. Its my passion and I wouldnt have it any other way. So i like broadheads that run about $8.00 - $20 a piece and im happy with my choice, and thats my choice not anybody elses.
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »
I shoot the original woodsmans. I used to get them for around $30 for 6 if I remember correctly. I don't see any reason to pay more than that and I have about 30 of them so I won't be switching anytime soon.
BD

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2015, 10:54:00 PM »
I haven't switched because a certain head is cheaper, but I stay with Magnus 1 because they work, and they are very reasonably priced. They're tough, sharpen easily, penetrate, and cut a big hole. And I've never had one fail on an animal. Ever.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
I also dont buy STRONGER or TOUGHER broadheads for different game animals.  I shoot three blades for turkey....2 blade for everything else.  I buy the ones I like the best, mount the best, fly the best, and sharpen easy enough to not make it a chore for me....then I stick with them.  I dont change or even consider changing unless I experience a problem that I dont think is operator induced...or they are no longer available.

I shot zwickey for years...loved them..still do...but had a few ferruls come apart from the bladed portion when hunting.  Lost confidence...was not a price thing at all.  Went to Ribteks in early 90s...still shooting them as I bought a hundred or so straight from Australia couple years ago.

Shot Snuffers for years for turkey and loved them...felt the metal changed in past few years and made them a chore to sharpen...so stopped after my original Snuffers were all lost.  Now I shoot Grizzly Instincts for my 3 blade heads.

I shoot what works best for me....and think the prices I am paying for Grizzly, Ribteks and would also for Tuffheads or STOS...are fair prices for what you get.  I do not think the super expensive Ashby and Alaska Supply and German heads are worth it personally...but someone must as they are still in business.  :)

Buy what works...not based on price.  That being said...Ace, Zwickey, Magnus are all great heads and some of the best prices out there.  If still not cheap enough there are plenty of HOW TOs on how to take saw blades and make your own trade points and grind them up for use.  Once you do all the work though...I doubt they would really be cheaper from your time and material to make.  More satisfying...but not cheaper if you count your time as well for sure.

I use the same heads for hogs, deer, bear, raccoons, nutria, etc.  Only ones I swap out are for turkey but that is for bigger hole..not quality or price.  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »
I also dont buy STRONGER or TOUGHER broadheads for different game animals.  I shoot three blades for turkey....2 blade for everything else.  I buy the ones I like the best, mount the best, fly the best, and sharpen easy enough to not make it a chore for me....then I stick with them.  I dont change or even consider changing unless I experience a problem that I dont think is operator induced...or they are no longer available.

I shot zwickey for years...loved them..still do...but had a few ferruls come apart from the bladed portion when hunting.  Lost confidence...was not a price thing at all.  Went to Ribteks in early 90s...still shooting them as I bought a hundred or so straight from Australia couple years ago.

Shot Snuffers for years for turkey and loved them...felt the metal changed in past few years and made them a chore to sharpen...so stopped after my original Snuffers were all lost.  Now I shoot Grizzly Instincts for my 3 blade heads.

I shoot what works best for me....and think the prices I am paying for Grizzly, Ribteks and would also for Tuffheads or STOS...are fair prices for what you get.  I do not think the super expensive Ashby and Alaska Supply and German heads are worth it personally...but someone must as they are still in business.  :)

Buy what works...not based on price.  That being said...Ace, Zwickey, Magnus are all great heads and some of the best prices out there.  If still not cheap enough there are plenty of HOW TOs on how to take saw blades and make your own trade points and grind them up for use.  Once you do all the work though...I doubt they would really be cheaper from your time and material to make.  More satisfying...but not cheaper if you count your time as well for sure.

I use the same heads for hogs, deer, bear, raccoons, nutria, etc.  Only ones I swap out are for turkey but that is for bigger hole..not quality or price.  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »

Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©