3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Many Have Tried Tree Seat / Guido Web But Switched Back To Treestand?  (Read 672 times)

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
I am curious to possibly use one of these but then I wonder if I will just not like the hassle.  How many of you guys have tried them and realized they are just not for you?  Do you prefer a regular treestand?

I worry I will not be able to change clothes or access all of the gear I need.

Thanks,
James

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
I tried a Tree Saddle.  Never felt safer in a tree.  Learning to shoot and move around in it does require practice.  I got rid of mine because after I had hernia surgery I never was comfortable in it again.  It made no difference how I wiggled around, the strap around the legs would dig into the surgery site.  Now that I am past 60, ladder stands and ground blinds are all I use.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
I really wanted to but I'm still using my LW and sticks. It was a combination of comfort and not shooting good out of it that made me get rid of em. The concept is there and I wanted it to work but in the end I stuck with regular stands.
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
I still use my Tree Saddle quite a bit.  A set of LW sticks, a ratchet strap with six steps for a base and I can go anywhere.  I'm not a very big guy and the comfort is acceptable.  You can change clothes in them to a degree if you practice.  Accessing gear is easy because you're facing the tree.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
i built my own tree seat, as it was easier to pack than the tree stands. and used the grass hopper drill for system for steps- but now just mostly from the ground  and my small pack frame / hand climber combo this season.

our deer dont pattern here- so we have to be mobile.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
How many traditional bowhunters fill a tag using one - I see all kinds of guys getting excited about them - even demonstrating climbing and shooting - haven't seen any deer, bears, pigs, elk
Cory<><
<---------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
I think the mistake is to think its an all or nothing deal when it comes to using them. I have one and use it sometimes when I'm hiking in far or it's the best option for the trees in the area. I also have lock on treestands set up, use ladder stands, my LW climber, LW hang on's and sticks, pop up ground blind, ghost blind, natural ground blinds.... Whatever is best for me and the particular spot I need to be set up in. I haven't killed anything out of my tree saddle but I don't use it that often. It is comfortable and I do feel extremely safe in it it's also easy to shoot from with a little practice. The main drawback for me is I'd rather not pack in my LW sticks if I don't have to. If I could leave in screw in steps on more of my properties. I'd use it more. My go to in my climber because I usually prefer to be 25' or so.

Offline dennis502

• Trad Bowhunter
I tried using a Tree Saddle over a couple of seasons 3-4 years ago. I was intrigued by the concept, but just couldn't warm to it. No matter how I adjusted it, I couldn't get as comfortable as in my fixed treestands so I ditched it.

I'm fortunate that I can keep all of my stands up for the season on private property, so using large, comfortable hang-ons is my preference

If I were hunting public land or had to haul a stand in for long distances and hang/hunt the same day, I would give it another look.

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
I have no idea how many use them exclusively nor how many have successful hunts from them but I would think they work if so many are still using them.

My interest is one of lightweight but not to be used all or nothing.  I wanted to hear from those that tried it but found it not their cup of tea for what ever reason.

I also think someone is more concealed from deer if they are on the backside of a tree. Do those of you that use them think you see more deer because of this?

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I used a Tree Saddle on and off for 3 or 4 years. I thought it was a great idea when I started, but found out there are some drawbacks. You still have to have a way to get up the tree and I don't like screw in steps anymore for the safety and they take a long time to put in in many hardwoods. You need some kind of steps for your feet. I used a strap with 3 or 4 Ameristep steps on it. It's not as easy as it sounds to move around and hide behind a tree, then position for a shot and a longbow has some limitations in it. I had trouble with my knees aching after a sit in it.
I went back to a lightweight lock on stand and don't feel I've given up anything. I'm more comfortable and can remain still longer and it's not a lot more weight than the saddle and steps to stand on. My lock on is only 8 pounds.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Tradesmen4

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How Many Have Tried Tree Seat / Guido Web But Switched Back To Treestand?
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
I hunt out of a guido's web pretty much everyday. And a climber once in awhile. You can't fall out of the web, but it's a lot different than a tree stand. I do about 4 hour sets Shot two deer last year out of it. I have three sets of rapid rails set up in different locations. unlike the tree saddle the web has a brace between your legs to keep you off the tree. I won,t be giving mine up.
greg ketchum

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
I use a saddle 95% of the time.  I modified mine quite a bit.  My total setup weighs less then 10 pounds and I have no problem sitting for hours, or shooting out of it.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 10:10:00 AM »
Dave,

Can you tell us about the modifications you did?  

Thanks,
James

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
I used a saddle and tree seat (I think they are both out of business now) off and on for 3 years. Probably the biggest piece of junk I ever bought for hunting (and I spend way too much!!). Extremely uncomfortable, difficult to shoot to the right, hard to add or remove layers in the tree, etc.
BD

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 05:52:00 PM »
I've had two tree saddles for about the past ten years. I have the deluxe leather one and the ambush saddle. I carry the ambush in a Badlands Ultra-Day pack. It carries everything I need from a saw, pruners, knee pads, woodpecker drill, Grade 8 bolts, etc. I can grab it and go.

I've killed quite a few deer out of mine. Shots to the left are the easiest, but you can  back around the tree for other angles. I've taken deer straight down under me. Try that with a regular stand.

You must obtain the correct size. I had an extra large in the beginning and sent it back for a large. Fit is very important. The extra large wouldn't allow me to breath properly. The large is the ticket for me at 204 lbs.

I bought a rope which goes around the tree with a carabiner and it supports the saddle much better than the strap which comes with it. Very easy to use.

The woodpecker drill allows me to use the same holes in the tree each time I use it. The holes grow closed after each season. I use 3/8" six inch bolts in the holes I drill for climbing.

I can shoot my bows out of the saddle easier than out of a regular tree stand. I even got a coyote two years ago and it never knew I was just above it. I believe it to be the safest tree stand I've ever used.

Changing clothes? Well, you can put on or take off a jacket,  but I've never tried coveralls or pants.  Being able to lean out from the tree to take the shot is a huge advantage for me. It keeps everything lined up and seems so natural.

It's a learning curve getting use to the tree saddle. I believe if you're anything over 225 lbs, you won't like it as the climbing/drilling can be a workout. Good luck!
N/A

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »
I have killed deer in the tree seat and also in the Guido's web. I switched back to the treestand because I found the harness style stand required to much movement to move around the tree for a shot. I think if you are willing to put in the effort to really learn how to use them and overcome some of the weak points then they are good. Another reason I switched back to treestand is I find a climber is easier for me to climb with. The harness style stands still require some method of climbing up the tree, and as I get older I try not to use climbing sticks or screw in steps for safety reasons...
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
Wally,

So you do not feel that the tree actually hides you from the deer as they approach?  I was thinking this would be the main advantage.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
Definitely being behind the tree offers cover - and that is one of the reasons I tried this style of stand. I also became interested iin them because you can shoot almost 360 degrees around the tree. But, for me, once I actually used them in hunting shot situations, I found the movement required to 'swing' around the tree for a shot was more than I cared for.

Keep in mind I am not saying this style of stand will not work - as I have killed multiple deer out of them. I think if you are willing to put in the time to work out ways to overcome their weak points you can do good with them.
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »
I have hunted out of my home made seat for more than 25 years, dozens of deer taken. This little buck taken last year.

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 11:47:00 PM »
I have used the:
Tree saddle, Tree Suit, Vulture by Ken Lewis, guido,s web. Prefer the tree stand, just more comfortable , less confined. Actual this will be mostly from ground. Give them all a try if you want this is just my experience . Happy hunting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©