3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: List of gear taken to the field?  (Read 2199 times)

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
List of gear taken to the field?
« on: October 04, 2015, 11:45:00 PM »
I am a light packer and consider everything I take to be as light as I can. Just curious what everyone takes out with them on the hunt. Also, does anyone know of a packable gambrel? I have two hooks that were at woods boat hooks that I took the latch off of and grinder to a point with a bit of rope. I would use a stick between the two hooks to hold the legs apart. I have not had the chance to use this setup as I have not gotten a deer yet. Any thoughts on this one?
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: List of gear taken to the field?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 12:07:00 AM »
No reason for a gambrel if you want to save weight, either butcher on the ground or string it up with two separate pieces of rope. I haven't used one for years! If I'm hunting close to truck or farm house, I just take the bare bare minimum, if I'm a couple miles back in the mountains elk hunting I take way way too much but I'm prepared!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 07:24:00 AM »
My bow,quiver,short rope and my knife,that's it.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 07:27:00 AM »
Bow
Safety harness
Knife
Phone
Glock
Extra magazine
Flashlight
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »
Bow
 Compass
 Knife
 Super glue
 cedar or balsam oil
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »
Depends... am I going for 4 hours or 4 weeks?

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »
Bow w/ GN quiver and 5 arrows
Knife
Light
CCW
Shooting glove
Pull rope if using the climber (ladder stand have them)
Calls depending on time of season
License & transport tag
Wipes
Cell
Glasses
SWA Spyder

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
I hunt close to my son's house, with some of my stands in sight of the house. Plus, if I shoot one, I can drive close with the tractor. I don't need drag ropes or heavy gear. I carry my bow, quiver of arrows, climbing vest, and haversack.

In the sack I keep camo gloves and hood. I have scent products and calls if I am using them that day. Also, I carry wind powder. Cough drops and a cough silencer always go with me due to allergies. Bee sting medicine and a snakebite kit are always present, even though I wear snake boots. Lastly, I carry several extra tabs and armguards. Insect repellant is needed in early season. Rubber gloves round out the list. Although not part of my bowhunting equipment, I carry my .45 Glock, but that explanation is another story.

This seems like a lot of stuff, but it all fits easily into my haversack and is not burdensome.
Sam

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
I'm surprised that only one person has mentioned a compass.  Guess maybe some don't need them depending on where they are hunting.  I hunt private land that has lots of access trails and is difficult to actually get lost in, but I still like to have my compass with me just in case I need it for something.  Since I mostly do short hunts, a few hours or so, I don't carry much else.  I put my shooting glove and arm guard on before I leave my truck and typically carry the following:

Bow
Quiver
Knife
Compass
Flashlight
Calls/scents if I plan to use them

I usually wear cargo pants and can carry most that I need in my pockets.  If I'm doing an all day hunt with a lot of walking and scouting, I carry a small backpack with the following items just in case I need them.  The list looks long, but the items are small so it all fits in a small pack and only weighs about 6-7 lbs:

Compass
First aid kit
Flashlight
Extra flashlight
Extra flashlight batteries
Notebook/pen/pencil
Calls
Scents
Folding saw
Paracord
Extra knife
Small pruning shears
Gloves/hat for cold weather
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
Tip of the hat to you gents!!   :thumbsup:  

I'm one of those idiots who carries way too much crap... mostly other clothing, but limb saw, ratchet shears for trimming, gutting kit, my thermacell, small spray bottle of scent eliminator to spray down after I sweat hiking in, Whiz bottle, flashlight, etc.

Nothing that is REQUIRED, but it sure can serve to make a day afield more enjoyable when conditions change... I have a folding pair of reading glasses since I can't see anything close up without em...

Clothing includes rain coat (packable), scarf when weather gets cooler, drivel like that...

Again, nothing that is required, but I find if I'm miserable on stand, I fidget and that doesn't bode well for hunting... not pressured deer.  

Having said all that, I surely do admire all you folks who can just go and not worry about "eventualities" and leave that stuff in truck.  I don't hike in and out as well as I once did, so it seems easier to take it with then have to go for it... Once there, I like to stay put!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
Bow and arrows
knife
flashlight
harness
water bottle
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
In my hand I've got my bow with attached quiver and arrows, tab on the hand wear it belongs.  In a small backpack I'll carry most of my clothes that I put on once I'm to the stand.  Also has my knife/fire starter combo, good flashlight, licenses, binos, drag rope, and a one handed tourniquet.  I usually also throw my car keys and wallet in the bag but sometimes they are just in my pocket like usual.

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
Bow, headlamp, extra tab, knife, wind checker, water, phone.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
Good stuff. Thanks for all the responses. Trying to get a good idea to round it all out. I need to get a pouch to carry a few things in. I got a good water bottle that is shaped like a flask the other day. I carry a lot of stuff in the leg pockets, but think a good punch or haversack would be useful.
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 06:50:00 PM »
Bow, quiver, 2 tabs, arm gaurd, spare bow string, TP, light, knife, water bottle, cell phone on vibrate, head net, face paint, gloves, compass, binoculars, THERMACELL, insect repellent, and more TP(also useful for marking blood trail)

Fits in my fanny pack.
shoot straight shoot often

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
As little as possible! Generally, a flashlight with a couple extra batteries, gloves, headnet, extra string tracker, wind check powder, and most important, toilet paper!

Bisch

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
1. Compass, a GPS is no good to you unless you're moving. Get hung up in some thick stuff in the dead of the night and your GPS is useless.
2. Knife
3. Good headlamp
4. 40 feet of para cord
5. Cell phone with a good map app installed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 07:58:00 PM »
Bow ( Blacktail Sitka)
Arrows ( 4-2117's, 3 with Zwickey " no mercy 165gr ", 1 with judo point.
American leather cross over glove
Surefire sportsman light
Glock 43
Swiss army pocket knife
Possibles bag with bottled water, vintage Schrade sharpfinger, true talker grunt tube.
Summit goliath treestand when needed, with SAFETY HARNESS!  Sometimes I get in permanent blinds.
Phone
Walkers game ears now.   :(

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
On me for every hunt:
Flashlight
Headlamp
Knife
Wind indicator powder
Pruning shears
License/ tag and something to attach it with
Cellphone
Binoculars
Eleglasses
Spare shooting tab

Depending on what I am hunting and how long I might be out I may add extra items to the above list such as water, extra clothes, etc as needed.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
Depends on where I'm hunting. If its just an afternoon out at my brothers place I'll stuff the cargo pockets of my pants and jacket with some rope, headlamp, knife, a spare string and some water. If I am out on state land and gonna cover some ground I carry the above plus some extra stuff. Handwarmers, baby wipes, compass and gps, a map of the area, small first aid kit, waterproof matches and fuels sticks and a quality survival blanket. It all fits in a small fanny pack with no problem and weighs 6-7 lbs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©